Topanga Canyon Loop

HARD 42 reviews
#12 of 40 trails in

Topanga Canyon Loop is a 10.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Santa Monica, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

10.5 miles
1,620 feet




mountain biking

nature trips

road biking




wild flowers


no dogs

9 months ago

If only there were better signs...

trail running
Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Long run...

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Nice getaway from the crazy LA crowds nice views. Not overrun with people

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Just finished this hike in about 4 hours. The trail is a bit difficult to follow and confusing but if you follow the map given you will be ok. Had to backtrack a couple times. 40% of this hike is through residential and private roads which is weird and honestly takes away from the hiking experience, in my opinion. However, the other 60% of this hike is awesome! A well-groomed trail with some decent hills to keep your heart rate up and some really beautiful views. I would not rate this as hard. Definitely moderate.

Beware: this trail is "dog-friendly" up until the last 2/3 of the hike is in the state park which does NOT allow dogs at all. Even on a leash. We took our dog and kept going regardless of the signs. No one caught us so it worked out fine. And we also saw other dogs on the trail. Just beware of rangers if you want to risk it.

I probably wouldn't do this hike again from the starting point given because of the residential streets. I would maybe try to find another entrance. That's why I gave it 3 stars.

Friday, December 30, 2016

Great hike with some pretty cool views. Did this hike with a friend in about 2hrs 20mins. Definitely start on Arteique Rd and end on Chaney Dr. It was a little confusing to find the trail in the beginning but definitely follow the map and you'll get a good leg workout in.

Friday, November 18, 2016

While the tip part of the hike is amazing a very large percentage of it is on roads. Just something people should be aware of.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

tough uphill climb. no breaks. very challenging. wonderful views

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Amazing hike. We took the back roads coming from the 101fwy. The hike is moderate but its worth it due to all the amazing thing's you will see. The sun is unforgiving so pack plenty of water and always remember a snack.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016


Sunday, March 13, 2016

There are a lot of option, but it is a tough trail with little to no shade. I see some crazy bikers going up the hill and can't imagine how it's possible. Great workout , good views, but pretty crowded and not very diverse views

Sunday, February 07, 2016

Easy - I did the eagle rock walk,but will look around for more challenging trails

Thursday, January 21, 2016


Sunday, June 28, 2015

Kinda difficult just remember to stay hydrated !

Friday, May 30, 2014

Beautiful hike to begin with. Went with a group of people. Lots of wildlife and green was everywhere. Eagle Rock had a great view of the landscape. I recommend not to bring little ones.

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Beautiful hike. Went for a hike up the canyon before a day at the beach and couldn't have asked for a better hike. Lots of wildlife and a variety of scenery ranging from grassy fields to mountain views. Some portions may be difficult for children, but altogether very manageable.

Monday, May 31, 2010

There was light traffic here and the views of the beach from the top were terrific! There are plenty of hills to work your calves and a cute little waterfall towards the end of the loop. Dogs are allowed, but only on leashes. Be weary of the park rangers issuing tickets if they are running free!

25 days ago

recorded Topanga Canyon Loop

2 months ago

2 months ago

4 months ago

6 months ago

9 months ago

10 months ago

trail running
Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Sunday, June 11, 2017

mountain biking
Saturday, June 03, 2017

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Load More