Tomales Point Trail

Tomales Point Trail is a 9.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Inverness, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,177 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Hike out to Tomales Point with stunning views surrounding you on all sides. An excellent out and back day hike. This open trail offers spectacular views of Tomales Bay, Bodega Bay, and the Pacific Ocean. It is also a prime wildlife viewing trail, as it is remote and the tule elk are enclosed in this reserve. The first 3 miles to Lower Pierce Point Ranch are well marked and maintained, but the last stretch can be overgrown with bush lupine and other shrubs, so long pants and long sleeves are a good idea. The journey all the way to the Point is worth it, for the view is unparalleled. Fog and wind can limit visibility and make this hike more challenging. The Tomales Point Trailhead is at the end of Pierce Point Road, 40 minute driving time from Bear Valley.

My 121st National Park and I have to say, this trail is now in my top 10.

it was a nice long hike with great views of the ocean, beautiful area.

beautiful trail...lots of elk and two coyotes sighted, amazing views

Birthday present with my mom.

Loved this trail! Hiked it last weekend with a couple friends. Moderately difficult I would say but definitely worth it. It was foggy most of the day but occasionally sunny. Quite a few people out there but not too many. It was so cool when we got to the pond and saw the herd of elk. Some of the bulls were huge. We also saw a large very healthy coyote hunting rodents. We went all the way to the point which is a little tougher because of thick sand in spots. The cliff views were spectacular! I think it took us about 3 hours but we stopped a lot to admire the scenery. I’ve wanted to do this hike a long time and am so glad I finally made it.

Lots of foggy mist which made seeing all the elk kinda otherworldly

Very foggy along the trail. Saw some elks

Amazing and beautiful hike, but I wasn’t prepared for the elevation gain to be same out as in! And the unmaintained beach sand part is about 1.5 miles with some sustained climbs. I think it’s tougher than moderate for the average hiker. But totally doable and worth it.

It has stunning views, also saw a lot of wildlife, coyote, elks, pelicans. Does not have any steep climbs but the last part has soft sand which might go inside shoes.

LONG but way worth it when you get to the end. My leg is hurting!

Long but worth it! (That’s what she said)

Try to go all the way to the end to see the cliffs

Great trail - the last part might be a bit sandy but overall is easy hike with great view! It’s mind-blowing to see lots Tule elks. Started around 4ish and got to the point around sunset time. Night hike was great with the full moon.

An overall easy-to-moderate hike. You’ll find beautiful views of the Pacific right as you start the trail. Fun is when you have the company of Tule elks in groups all along your trail. The last 1.5 miles of the trail is not maintained and is sandy! So, a little work out should be expected. Plan your day for the sunset! If you’re a sunset lover as I am, plan your day such that you reach the trail head back out, right before the sun sets so that you won’t have to hike much in the dark. I would totally go back only for the mesmerizing frame as I watched the slow decent of the sun turning the landscape gold and painting the sky in a dazzling array of pink and orange hues.

Such a beautiful place to watch the sunset!!!

A great hike. Look for the Tule Elk at the watering hole.

Awesome hike- little over 10 miles to the point and back. The trail was in great condition until you got to the unmaintained portion close to the point. Very sandy and unclear which path to go down. I kept the app open to stay as close to what I thought the trail was. It was such a nice day out! There were TONS of elk. I did see a coyote as well. Definitely a nice hike for any age, I went alone and felt very comfortable with a fair amount of people on the path.

Torn between 3 & 4 stars. Lovely seaside and wildlife (birds and elk) views. Pokey brushes and sand paths made it a messy and uncomfortable experience. A 10 mile workout.

Awesome views of the sky/sun/ocean on a clear day. No shade/not many trees. Some sand to hike through.

Incredible views on a fog less day. The last bit that is unattended path, beware that it is soft sugary sand and will put you to work, but well worth it.

Saw so many elks this time unbelievable! Trail is flat and suitable for all ages and levels. Hands down one of the best in the Bay Area.

Very crowded trail out and back. Caught a beautiful day with great views. Good sighting of elks and one coyote.

Hot day for hiking even though on the coast. Go early to beat the mobs of people that arrive after 11 am. So glad I was completing my hike as several groups slowly trickled in. Decided not to go to the end because the trail became very narrow, unmaintained and too overgrown and most likely snakes on the trail edges. Seen two snakes at the beginning of my hike but they disappeared too quickly so I couldn’t identify which kind of snakes they were. Lots of Tule Elk! I counted around 50 in three separate groups. Ive heard there are over 400 in the Inverness area alone. I believe it was mating season because I heard a couple of different times bull Elk bugling for their female counterparts. Very interesting! A great hike but definitely better on weekdays with less crowds.

An excellent trail, well maintained until the last 1,5 Miles, where the path becomes sandy and narrows. Great nature and views, with lots of elk, a few snakes (garter) and a lone coyote who passed us looking for roadrunners.

Beautiful trail! Trail was well maintained until the last mile or so. We found a second trail leading to a private beach area and had lunch. Stunning ocean views! Not many wildflowers to see right now.

favorite hike i’ve ever done!

I will give this trail a 6 out of 5! The view at the end and many of the other views were breathtaking! Almost brought me to tears!

A special place..transports me to another dimension with every hike..