EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Tomales Point Trail

Tomales Point Trail is a 9.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Inverness, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

beach

Hike out to Tomales Point with stunning views surrounding you on all sides. An excellent out and back day hike. This open trail offers spectacular views of Tomales Bay, Bodega Bay, and the Pacific Ocean. It is also a prime wildlife viewing trail, as it is remote and the tule elk are enclosed in this reserve. The first 3 miles to Lower Pierce Point Ranch are well marked and maintained, but the last stretch can be overgrown with bush lupine and other shrubs, so long pants and long sleeves are a good idea. The journey all the way to the Point is worth it, for the view is unparalleled. Fog and wind can limit visibility and make this hike more challenging. The Tomales Point Trailhead is at the end of Pierce Point Road, 40 minute driving time from Bear Valley.

We started around 1pm on Saturday, the traffic was quite heavy, but the views totally still worth it. We went with 2 little kids, the first 1-2 miles are quite manageable and you still get to see a lot. We saw lots of elks and wildflowers, gorgeous! The wind can get strong sometimes, so make sure to dress properly.

Pretty beautiful

My friend and I did this hike last month with weighted vests.
It was very mild, although my big o' hiking boots were probably too heavy for walking in sand.
We started while it was still pitch black and didn't see anyone until a mile or 2 headed back.
There is an insane amount of elk and some foxes and deer.
The flowers were beautiful. We even got some light rain, so it was wonderful!

Do this hike now, while the wildflowers are in bloom!

If you go on a weekend, start early to avoid crowds. We left at 9AM and enjoyed walking through the fog as it burned off. Passed only a few people on the way in. The last quarter of the hike (around 11:30), the trail had become unpleasantly crowded.

We are fit backpackers and finished the trail in 3 hours and 10 minutes.

Amazing hike! A family favorite.

Good solid hike, made it all the way to the point! Definitely with the hike, a bit windy and definitely no cover from the sun... at the end there is a bit of sand to trudge through so be ready for that... not too busy went on a weekday, will definitely do it again

n

I I idiot I in it in I I it I it ok to oiopopllop

One of the funniest trails I have explored thus far. Plenty of Tule Elk as advertised and a plethora of wildlife to see!

Beautiful hike! It delivered the marvelous views as advertised.. On a clear blue day the colors were unbelievable and the rich variety of vegetation and wildlife were glorious. We saw elk, bobcat, jackrabbit, and lots of birds. Wild strawberries in bloom, California poppies, irises, and other wildflowers. The trail was pretty packed- Presidents Day, and the wind was wicked strong and cold. Definitely needed a lot of layers. Really wished I had a hat or hood.

Great hike! Lots of Elk!

There were many elk along the the trial. Amazing coastal views

amazing hike!

While this trail is one of the more popular and busy trails in the park it really is a great one to try if you want to really experience what Point Reyes has to offer all in one place. The hike begins at an old farm house and after about a quarter mile later you are overlooking beautiful vistas of the sea cliffs. You'll encounter many different types of wild life on the hike as there are roaming elk packs and many different types of birds flying around. The hike is pretty easy/moderate as the 1200 ft elevation gain is spread out over a couple rolling hills along the 9.5 mile in and out trail. The trail is well defined and easy to follow but suffers a lot of erosion in places and at certain points becomes sandy. this hike is usually windy and there is almost no tree cover for shade.

We loved this hike and got so many opportunities to see elk, hawks (and various other birds), and other little critters. Definitely bring sunscreen and/or a hat as the trail overs very little coverage. I rated this trail a 4 because although the views were stunning, the out-and-back nature of this hike made the terrain a little boring and the uphill terrain made it difficult to really enjoy the views at every moment. I wouldn’t consider the terrain difficult by any means, but the length of the trail may make this one a bit more difficult for those looking for quick weekend adventure. The great thing about out-and-backs though is that you can always cut the hike to your desired length!

The weather was perfect and beautiful view all the way. Most of hiking were flat walking but we had some up the hill. It totally worth it the effort.

Amazing views of wildlife and protected vast open land surrounded by cliffs and rolling hills. Did this on a sunny day, so no complaints. Highly recommended.

Note: As of 2018-01-20, the road, parking, restroom, and trail are all open and accessible, despite the government shutdown.

Well definitely full of elk, if you have never seen one I can guarantee you will see a ton. The actual hike was ok, not a lot to look at or see. It was pretty flat and was over an open plain. I was hoping to see more uniqueness but it is a great flat course that would be better suited for trail runners in my opinion. The best views come right before the point off to the west looking at all the unique rock in the water.

Of course this is a wonderful iconic hike . Today’s weather wasn’t the most pleasurable but there were many hawks and tule elk. Wish I had know how
It was near the end as had to
sandy it was at the end as

Foggy until about noon. TONS of elk! Fairly easy hike, although the sandy part was a little challenging. My gaiters Kept my shoes sand-free. Beautiful hike. I will be back!

Very nice hike that is flat. You get cliff beaches and elk almost the whole way. Not much shade so bring a hat (I think there is one tree). Very doable with a 10 month old on my back.

Great wildlife during, great cliff views at the end. Can get a bit foggy in the middle but worth it to keep on trucking

Great for trail running

Amazing views and hiking between Pacific Ocean and back waters are so beautiful also you will see lot of elks in the trail

Fun! Great views throughout but no shade at all. And those sandy uphills are killer!

This was a gorgeous hike! We have 3 young children and saw many families along the trail. A few areas of steep or uneven footing for little ones, but otherwise a great trail. Very sunny so pack sunscreen and water.

This hike was great. Be prepared to spend 3.5-4.5 hours hiking. Saw a LOT of elk very close to the trail, so be careful and try not to disturb them, they seem to mind they’re own business. Great views the whole time but it was very cold and windy this time of the year. I’d advise to wear a windbreaker and something to cover ears. Only thing that wasn’t too great is the end portion of the hike is all sand and incline. I had to empty my shoes 3 Times. I’d advise to wear boots specifically for this portion. Otherwise a great hike. I’d do it again but with boots on.

amazing views of numerous cliffs, cypress trees, tule elk, birds and maybe coyotes! The route is unshaded, so start at sunrise.

Wow Amazing for night hike as there are no shadows from trees. Gorgeous moon light views. You definitely see shy wild life. Takes 3.5 to 4 hours round trip.