Tecolote Canyon

Tecolote Canyon is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I hiked with my mother in law and wife, whom was carrying our two year old on a carrier the entire time. I thought the hike was moderate. as for them, they thought it was difficult. I will say though, those hills will get you if you are not a frequent hiker. I, for one, am not a frequent hiker, but do consider myself a monkey. So the hills we're relatively easy although really challenging because of how steep they were. Good hike and decent scenery too.

Typical San Diego Canyon. Nothing exciting to look at and lots of river rock to roll your ankle on. Trails aren't well marked so we ended up taking the wrong one back to the parking lot.

If you stay on service road it is a great work out, not for the beginner, love this hike, makes me work hard and sweat

I have sort of a mixed review as there is some good, some not so good. This is a loop as depicted, however the right fork is actually a service road and not a trail according the nice lady at the Nature Center building situated at the trail junction. If you take that loop, be forewarned there are some up and down hills, several of them in actual fact. And it's the downhills that are potentially hazardous as they are steep in places. I had trekking pools which makes it a bit easier but I ran into two college football athletes and one of them took a spill, though I didn't see it when it happened. So if you go right at the fork, just know what you are getting into. Since it's a straight road, you can see what's in front of you. It's the better route if you want a workout. If you don't have trekking pools, I would use the brush to grab on the downhills. I just took it slow and careful and made certain I did not fall.

The other thing I don't like about this trail is you really feel the city around you. From the SDG&E natural gas pipeline that runs through the canyon to the electrical power lines that produce an audible hum in places and the sound of golfers on the course adjacent to the trail it just doesn't seem like nature. But I did happen to spot two errant golf balls on the trail!

On the other hand there are places where it's quite a nice hike. And I like hikes that are long enough so I know I got some good exercise. My Garmin sports watch clocked it as 5.3+ miles, but I also went beyond the loop junction, which goes across a creek (find the dry crossing by the rocks to the left of the creek) and ends up a road at which point I turned around (see photos I posted with has maps). I took the loop back which is mostly flat and picturesque in places and that was very pleasant.

Overall I give it a 4 but if it took half star ratings, I'd make it 3.5.

Live nearby and run it frequently. If you drop in on Genesee heading W, you will have about 40% of your trip under light canopy. It's mostly rocky but worn paths with small to large hills depending on your route. I like it for shorter 3-5 mile runs.

Nice trail hidden in the middle of the city. Quite a bit of noise from the power lines in some spots.