Tecolote Canyon

Tecolote Canyon is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near San Diego, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I hiked the canyon at 10am, I own a husky and we could not finish the hike. Though the temps said 68 degrees in the parking lot. There are many places along the trail that are recessed and do not have air flow..making it hotter than the devil's crotch in some places. My dog is a well seasoned hiker, is regularly brushed every 3 days, is almost 2yrs, loves the outdoors, and he was having a hard time. We stopped frequently for water breaks, but it was not enough. I did not feel the risk to my dog overheating was worth finishing the trail. I STRONGLY do not recommend starting this hike after 9am on a nice day in june even with plenty of breeze in the parking lot and bringing water. We got about 90% done and turned back. I will attempt this hike again either early in the morning (8am) or late in the evening as the sun is going down.

Very pleasant, fun and I say to hike.

This is the perfect trail I like to go with my dogs on weekdays mornings. Not very challenging, but beautiful and only 10 minutes from home

Checking out new areas! Really pretty and well maintained trails! :)