Tecolote Canyon

Tecolote Canyon is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I have sort of a mixed review as there is some good, some not so good. This is a loop as depicted, however the right fork is actually a service road and not a trail according the nice lady at the Nature Center building situated at the trail junction. If you take that loop, be forewarned there are some up and down hills, several of them in actual fact. And it's the downhills that are potentially hazardous as they are steep in places. I had trekking pools which makes it a bit easier but I ran into two college football athletes and one of them took a spill, though I didn't see it when it happened. So if you go right at the fork, just know what you are getting into. Since it's a straight road, you can see what's in front of you. It's the better route if you want a workout. If you don't have trekking pools, I would use the brush to grab on the downhills. I just took it slow and careful and made certain I did not fall.

The other thing I don't like about this trail is you really feel the city around you. From the SDG&E natural gas pipeline that runs through the canyon to the electrical power lines that produce an audible hum in places and the sound of golfers on the course adjacent to the trail it just doesn't seem like nature. But I did happen to spot two errant golf balls on the trail!

On the other hand there are places where it's quite a nice hike. And I like hikes that are long enough so I know I got some good exercise. My Garmin sports watch clocked it as 5.3+ miles, but I also went beyond the loop junction, which goes across a creek (find the dry crossing by the rocks to the left of the creek) and ends up a road at which point I turned around (see photos I posted with has maps). I took the loop back which is mostly flat and picturesque in places and that was very pleasant.

Overall I give it a 4 but if it took half star ratings, I'd make it 3.5.

Live nearby and run it frequently. If you drop in on Genesee heading W, you will have about 40% of your trip under light canopy. It's mostly rocky but worn paths with small to large hills depending on your route. I like it for shorter 3-5 mile runs.

Nice trail hidden in the middle of the city. Quite a bit of noise from the power lines in some spots.

I hiked the canyon at 10am, I own a husky and we could not finish the hike. Though the temps said 68 degrees in the parking lot. There are many places along the trail that are recessed and do not have air flow..making it hotter than the devil's crotch in some places. My dog is a well seasoned hiker, is regularly brushed every 3 days, is almost 2yrs, loves the outdoors, and he was having a hard time. We stopped frequently for water breaks, but it was not enough. I did not feel the risk to my dog overheating was worth finishing the trail. I STRONGLY do not recommend starting this hike after 9am on a nice day in june even with plenty of breeze in the parking lot and bringing water. We got about 90% done and turned back. I will attempt this hike again either early in the morning (8am) or late in the evening as the sun is going down.

Very pleasant, fun and I say to hike.

This is the perfect trail I like to go with my dogs on weekdays mornings. Not very challenging, but beautiful and only 10 minutes from home