Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Tin Mine Canyon Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Corona, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 715 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

NOTE: It has been reported this trail has temporary closures due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

Not at all what I expected. It seemed a little sketchy towards the end of the hike. I think next time I’ll continue to hike skyline trails.

Easy trail but no real signage… Easy to follow until you get deep in where there is a ton of poison oak! Hiked to the “trail end” sign! lots of shallow creek crossings.!

Great hike. I’ve done this countless times with family and friends. In the spring-mid fall, you should watch out for poison oak. When I was little, I walked through it with shorts (not fun for a couple of days.) There are two mineshafts here, one a little more than a klick and a half into the trail from the end of the skyline (the actual trailhead), the second about 2.5 klicks in. They are both to the left if your heading into the canyon, and the second is up just below the ridgeline. There’s lots of iron ore/ferric matter on the trail, and there is a lot of loose ore at the base of the second mine. I’ve climbed it a few times, but I would not recommend it for little kids or inexperienced scramblers. There are a few off-trail canyon off-shoots that have rope hanging over cliffs. DO NOT CLIMB THESE! These are not put there by the Forest Service, and are not maintained. Do not blame it on the forest service if you fall and hurt yourself. I’ve been to them myself, and the last time I saw one, it was a polypropylene yellow “hardware store” style rope. These will snap on you, and you will fall. It’s not worth breaking your neck and having a rescue team come out to you.

Live this trail. Saw tadpoles in some of the streams and a hawk with a fresh snack. Really beautiful once you get far enough.

This is a very pleasant little hike, more beautiful than I was expecting. A little creek appears and disappears along the trail. Watch out for poison oak though, it’s abundant in some places where the trail is near the creek. It’s a pretty sketchy climb getting to the upper mine shaft, do so at your own risk.

Fun and scenic trail with little rock pagodas along the way. But keep checking to your left or you could easily walk right past both upper and lower mine openings!

didn't make it all the way as the rain washed out the trail, pretty though

This trail was absolutely beautiful. The trail switched back and forth over a small Creek. Lots of trees and bushes. The end of the trail is a bit Ricky but we did it with our dog no problem. The trail ends at a small waterfall. The only downside was there is a lot of poison ivy at the end.

Good hike today. Many parts of the trail have been washed out or covered by rock slides from the recent storm. Had to check All Trails every once in a while to ensure I was still on the trail. Did see a covey of quail on the way back down but being the lumbering ox I am, they ran into the brush before I could snap a picture. For the current conditions of the trail, I would recommend good boots, walking sticks and a GPS app or map/compass to ensure you haven’t wandered too far off the trail. Parts of the trail are still pretty muddy and you will be doing a few creek crossings as you hike.

Mines can be hidden and you can easily walk by them without seeing them, I would rate it as easy

Great hike overall but there were tons of flies and bugs the whole way and towards the end, it was completely overgrown.

Seeing the 2 mines were cool and rock climbing to the 2nd one was fun but a little nerve wrecking...poison oak around and towards the end of the trail we didn’t really know where it ended as it started to get inaccessible so we just turned around.

Trail starts in residential Corona and follows a paved bike path until the gate at Skyline Dr. After that it takes you into the canyon. The beginning of the trail is not the Tin Mine trailhead itself, but rather leads to it where the Skyline Dr switches back. After the trailhead proper follow the wash until the first mine. After that it narrows and crisscrosses a seasonal stream through dense vegetation and a ton of poison oak. It ends anticlimactically at a trail post right past where a small waterfall appears to exist in the wetter months. It was only a drip as of late August. We left the canyon at dusk, so we had the chance to see bats feeding on the (seemingly) millions of mosquitoes that breed in the stagnant water in the forest. Descent hike with some interesting history, but the back portions are relatively unpleasant and inaccessible.