Tilden Wildcat Gorge

Tilden Wildcat Gorge is a 4 mile loop trail located near Berkeley, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Pine laden, hilly trails along a stream in a wooded canyon. A couple excellent views of the Bay. Take Selby trail to Wildcat Gorge trail. Run along a stream (water flows even in the summer, which is unusual in the Bay Area) on pine needle and Eucalyptus leave laden trails. Take Mineral Springs trail, then left on Seaview trail. Left on Curran, left on Wildcat, right on Lake Anza and Left on Selby trail to return to your starting point. Park maps are available at most trail heads. Dogs allowed on leash in developed areas/under voice command in undeveloped areas of the park; no dogs permitted in Tilden Nature Area

Beautiful and varied views of creek and hillside to Mt Tam

Great trail, easy to moderate hiking. If you go after a rain the trail can be slippery/muddy so be prepared. Good mix of covered and sun hiking.

Loved this trail, lots of greens and blues

Was a favorite hike when my son was younger. If short on time and want a quickie hike can start at the bottom, do the 3 mile loop and skip the lake part.

Nice hike

A great loop trail!

Nice mix of open and wooded, narrow and wider trails. The trail when near Lake Anza can be noisy due to all the swimmers so they section won't give you an 'escape to nature' feeling.

Felt closer to easy than moderate.

still plenty of mud on Curran 07/05, but it was easy enough to navigate. it's a bit of a drive in, depending on where you're coming from... i like to park at Inspiration Point because it's the closest access point for me. the descent down Meadow is longer & more exposed than Curran, so the path i chose depends on the time of day i'm there. it's much easier on the knees as a hike, but an enjoyable run as well. also, the rest room tucked off in the meadow camping area is decent (the large structure, not the little ones between the two parking lots).

Good hike. Not too difficult. Wildcat Gorge trail was very nice, but there were so many flies I didn't really slow down to enjoy it. Curran trail was still muddy on the climb up from the lake, which was surprising for late June. You can bike some parts of this loop, but not the whole thing, so mountain biking should be removed from the list of activities.

Very moderate hike...slight incline but not at all difficult or a struggle if used to hiking. Beautiful open meadows followed by secluded trees

Park at the Island Picnic Area at Tilden Regional Park. There was plenty of space at around 10:30am. On this particular date, a lot of the trail segments were wet and muddy, and sometimes there's no way you can get around it. You can see views of the lake, a waterfall, and the valleys.

I can't say if this trail is good or not because currently it's over grown with poison oak. Started in for a trail run and had to head back to the car. Be careful this time of year and on trails that are not well maintained or pay the price later!

Beautiful trail with different types of terrain. Some sections were really muddy and people in sneakers had to turn back - I was glad I was wearing hiking boots. Don't follow the instructions in the description, just look at the trail names on the map and you'll be fine. Not very crowded for a Saturday at 10am.

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Did this 11/13/16 and it was beautiful. Mostly shaded. Quick short but nice! Started near the golf course..

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Beautiful trail up to the lake. A few nice flat stretches for running. Went a day or two after a big rain so some very muddy patches. Recommended for an easy quick run!

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Really challenged me. I injured my knee recently and was not sure if I could hike the whole trail, however I was surprised that I did. Good workout and my dogs slept all the way home

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

After the lake not much to look at. Also half of it is not shaded, so plan for that on very hot days. I would recommend a different hike in this park.

Monday, July 18, 2016

The trails were wonderful, but the description was terrible! First, because the Mineral Springs trail (which we later found out is a loop, which is not connected to any trails on the official park trail map) nor the spur trail that connects Wildcat Gorge Trail to it is NOT marked in any way in person or on the official park map, we missed it. If something is poorly marked, better directions are required to find it! We took the Curran trail which we found looking for the Mineral Springs trail, thinking that we would just reverse the loop. We got to the Seaview trail fine, but then, thankfully, I looked at the paper trail map again, only to realize that the Seaview Trail and the Mineral Springs trail do not actually intersect at any point. We ended up taking the Big Springs trail to the Quarry trail to Wildcat Canyon ROAD to the Mineral Springs loop to the spur trail to the Wildcat Gorge Trail to Selby trail to get back to our car.