Learn more

Throop Peak via Dawson Gap is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 3.9 mi Elevation gain 1,213 ft Route type Out & Back

Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

With great 360 degree views, this is a short hike in the high country of the Angeles. For many people it can take less than 45 minutes to reach the top. It isn't the easiest of hikes, but, for anyone used to hiking who is in good condition, this hike is incredibly manageable.

Angeles National Forest (626) 574-1613

Take the Angeles Crest Highway to Dawson Gap - the highest point on the road. There is an orange Cal-Trans shed by the parking area. There is ample parking in three places along either side of the road. If you are traveling east, it is past Islip Saddle, and if you are traveling west, it is past Vincent Gap. The trail begins across from the Cal Trans shed.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (139)
Photos (311)
Recordings (122)
Completed (487)
Lindsey Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
Hiking

Such a gorgeous trail! We did a hike through of 2 trails, with 3 peaks. (Finishing at Baden-Powell with the last part of the hike going down the serious switchbacks to finish at the Vincent Gulch Divide.)

View Lindsey's Recording
Sam K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
Hiking

Nice shady trail. We started at 8:30am on a Saturday and yet still only saw about 20 people the whole time. We had a beginner in our group; it was a perfect challenging-but-manageable trail for her.

Craig Tyler
Hiking

Great day on the trail! The backside of Throop was rough and a tree in the trail up to Hawkins, but the rest was amazing.

View Craig's Recording
Ashley Borja
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
View Ashley's Recording
Amy Reynolds
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
HikingRocky

Great hike- very runnable if you’re agile, but also a million ways to twist your ankle. Not crowded at all but definitely got more popular as the morning went on.

View Amy's Recording
Sui K.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2020
Hiking

We hiked on a Tuesday morning and it was not crowded, probably saw <10 people total. The hike has shade almost the whole way, well-maintained and not overgrown, not very steep, and not a lot of bugs. This was a nice, beginner hike with altitude and good for dogs. We started at the trailhead located a few yards east of the one depicted on the map; it has a sign stating it was built by a Boy Scout group. We read it was less steep and easier for dogs. The red part of the map where the trail branches off SW before the last leg to Throop Peak is WRONG. These are the correct instructions. When the trail connects with the PCT, you'll hit a T-junction with a sign. Head right and then a few yards in, you'll see a fork in the trail leading right and uphill. Take this trail. The trail going uphill is lined with rocks and when you hike on it, it will look like you are going off-route using this map. If you don't go up this trail and continue along the PCT, you will find there is no fork where the red-marked route indicates there is one. After going up the rock-lined trail, the trail looked like it dead-ended behind a log. We walked behind and above the log, through some bushes, and after a few feet we saw a clear trail going upward again. Eventually the trail matched up with the red-marked route to the top of Throop.

Comment from AllTrails

- 7 days ago

Thank you Sui for your feedback, we have update the trail accordingly!

Ryan McMichael
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 22, 2020
Backpacking

Awesome trail with amazing views. If you look at my recording you can see where I eventually entered the trail. There are two entrances. The one across from the building is a little sketchy with a dog.

View Ryan's Recording
Bill Cooney
Hiking

Beautiful hike with our dog. Glad we had windbreakers at the top on this relatively cool July day, as it got quite windy, and the air was cool. Fabulous views, and fewer than a dozen people the whole way. Lots of birds, and a good mix of sun and shade. Used the trail across from the structure going up and far preferred the slightly longer section that lands you slightly farther east, which we used coming down. The last segment to the summit is not obvious, although someone has kindly lined the entry to the turnoff with stones. Very quickly (approx 40 yards) after the sign for the Pacific Crest Trail, turn right and up hill; this is not the way that AllTrails shows it in red on the map -- if you follow that you stay on the PCT. See our map of just that part.

Dayna Mauer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
Hiking

I continued on to Mt Hawkins and then took more of the PCT on the return. Lovely for combatting the ailments of civilization. Only saw 5 people, gorgeous scenery, huggable trees, hordes of birds, (Western Bluebirds, Clark’s Nutcrackers, White-headed Woodpeckers among many others), chipmunks. The air smelled of pines.

View Dayna's Recording
Katherine Sullivan
Hiking

Use the entry trailhead further from the building.

View Katherine's Recording
Yvette Alexandra
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 9, 2020
Hiking

Great hike with amazing views all around. The first .2 miles are sketchy especially on the way down and because of that stretch, I would not bring my dog. I see there’s another trailhead close by that connects with this trail. It may be better to start there? Saw maybe 10 hikers throughout our hike. Had the peak to ourselves for a lunch break before heading back. Parked across off of hwy 2 and there was cell reception there. Some areas were buggy including the peak but I also saw butterflies and birds.

View Yvette's Recording
Michael Figueroa
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 28, 2020
Hiking

Nice trail with lots of sun exposure at the beginning. We noticed lots of bugs for the last 1/2 mile but we had face nets so we were good. Nice views for sure! Steep part right near the summit.

Jesus Huidobro
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2020
Hiking

My favorite high attitude warm up hike, it’s short and not too tough, but offers great views and previews to the pct and mt Badden Powell.

Reagan Wiggs
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2020
Hiking

Incredible view from the top, especially for the short hike to get there. The other entrance to the trail is less steep, and is only a few hundred feet away along the road.

Ron Nelson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 10, 2020
Hiking

Great hike. Beautiful weather. Not too many I’m people today. Lots of mosquitoes. Recommend a face net and long sleeves.

View Ron's Recording
Anthony Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 8, 2020
Hiking

I added a video of our hike on Youtube. Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCwEOtUVfA8&t=48s

Anthony Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 5, 2020
Hiking

We did this hike yesterday (June 5th). The snow is all gone, there are a few tiny patches you can easily go around, you don't need microspikes. The views are outstanding along the ridgeline to the East and West. The first few yards of this trail are steep and make you second guess your decision to continue but after the first 100 feet of climbing it levels out into just a steady climb toward the PCT junction. We went up to the top of Throop and continued along the pct and did Mt. Hawkins too. The views from there were tremendous, definately worth the hump to the top. From there we continued past Windy Gap and headed up to Mt. Islip. That was the hardest part for me because I started getting a headache from the altitude. The marine layer and clouds rolled in eventually worked their way across Windy Gap and we hiked in the fog briefy but it cleared up quick. Overall mileage was 10.4 for our point to point trip. We parked one car at Islip Saddle and another at Dawson's Gap. The descent down from Hawkins to Windy Gap was steep and I 'm glad we were heading down and not up like the route from Islip. Only saw a few people on the trail today, all were friendly and about 1/2 wore masks when we approached. Others like myself just stepped off the trail and faced away to let others pass. Of all the trails in the San Gabriel Mountains I've hiked (and its been alot) this has to be one of the best scenic trails in L.A. County. Why didn't I ever do this one before. We left Dawson's Gap at 7 am, took a few breaks at the summits and spent about an hour having lunch at Little Jimmy Camp. We got back to the second vehicle parked at Islip Saddle about 3, Awesome day.

Mike Guardalabene
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 31, 2020
HikingSnow

We did this Sunday and went on to Mt Hawkins. There is a lot of snow in the draws still on the north side of Throop pk. Enough to make it difficult in normal shoes or boots. We ended up going up the ridge which is fairly steep (the black dotted line). Going up the ridge is not marked well but you can follow it by looking close and checking the app. We went on to Mt Hawkins via PCT and there is a recent large tree fallen across the PCT. We went up the slope and found a way around it but it needs to be cleared with chainsaw. Just some tips. All in all a good hike which would be much more enjoyable for casual hikers without the snow factor.

James Kao
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 23, 2019
HikingSnow

We arrived thinking that there would not be that much snow and we’re surprised to find about 6 inches of fresh powder. We could not see the trail but our leader Erin had been here before so knew the way. Eventually we found other tracks in the snow that lead to the top and followed them. It was a gorgeous morning and clear enough to see DTLA.

View James's Recording
Matthew Westbrook
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 4, 2019
Hiking

This was a good hike with my dog. Well defined trail until you leave PCT and head up to Throop Peak. Its a steeper angle with loose rock and you have to look for the trail, but the views are awesome. A must if your peak bagging.

Doran Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2019

Some of the best views in the San Gabriels. It goes along ridges and saddles with panoramic views. The three peaks have good views, getting better as you go.

View Doran's Recording
Grigory H.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 31, 2019
HikingBugs

Great hike, not too long. Some parts were pretty steep. Tons of dragonflies and no people at the summit. You can see in all directions from the top.

View Grigory's Recording
Ryan Longworth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 25, 2019
Hiking

Fun hike with great views. There was no flag at the top.

View Ryan's Recording
Monica Vasandani
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 12, 2019
Hiking

Beautiful trail with very few people on a summer weekend. The switchbacks at the start are pretty narrow and the dirt is fairly loose in a few spots, but the majority of the hike is a steady climb with lots of shade and great views. The last quarter mile of trail to the peak is easy to miss, so if you start heading around the peak (to the left of it) rather than up, you’ve gone too far but you can loop around, although I haven’t gone that way. It’s also steep and exposed at the end, and felt like more than 4 miles. Overall, I really enjoyed it.

Hank Duncan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2019
Hiking

Trailhead at about mile marker 69.5 on Angeles Crest Highway.

View Hank's Recording
Inigo M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 14, 2019
Running

Departed the trailhead at 07:15 and didn’t see another person until I was half way back to the car. The sounds of the wind through the trees and birds singing were nice. The turn from the PCT to the peak is easy to miss (that’s my excuse, and I am sticking to it.) Once I realized that I had missed it, I continued on to take the trail from the west. Calling the western approach a trail is being generous, but once located, the eastern trail is quite clear. On the way down, I built a cairn to better mark the turn.

View Inigo's Recording
Julius Naag
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2019

very scenic

View Julius's Recording
Allison Fox
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 21, 2019
HikingBugs

I absolutely loved this hike. I'm so glad the Angeles Crest Highway is open in this area again! I did Mount Burnham first and then came back for Throop. If you're looking to summit I would definitely suggest taking the trail on the left when approaching Throop from Dawson Gap. When you get to the PCT junction go right towards Little Jimmy but only for about ten meters. On your right will be the trail that takes you to the summit. It isn't marked on the map and the entrance was pretty washed out today. I missed it and tried to follow the route indicated here but either it doesn't exist any more or I just couldn't find it. Thankfully I saw two other hikers coming down from the actual trail and was able to find it that way. I tried to make it a little more obvious by marking the path with some sticks and a couple small cairns. The views were phenomenal and the incline is pretty moderate except for the summits, which is to be expected. 10/10 would hike again. Especially now that I know where to go. :)

Dave Jimenez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 9, 2019
HikingBlowdownBridge outBugs