Throop Peak via Dawson Gap

Throop Peak via Dawson Gap is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,108 feet Route Type: Out & Back

With great 360 degree views, this is a short hike in the high country of the Angeles. For many people it can take less than 45 minutes to reach the top. It isn't the easiest of hikes, but, for anyone used to hiking who is in good condition, this hike is incredibly manageable.

I absolutely loved this hike. I'm so glad the Angeles Crest Highway is open in this area again! I did Mount Burnham first and then came back for Throop. If you're looking to summit I would definitely suggest taking the trail on the left when approaching Throop from Dawson Gap. When you get to the PCT junction go right towards Little Jimmy but only for about ten meters. On your right will be the trail that takes you to the summit. It isn't marked on the map and the entrance was pretty washed out today. I missed it and tried to follow the route indicated here but either it doesn't exist any more or I just couldn't find it. Thankfully I saw two other hikers coming down from the actual trail and was able to find it that way. I tried to make it a little more obvious by marking the path with some sticks and a couple small cairns. The views were phenomenal and the incline is pretty moderate except for the summits, which is to be expected. 10/10 would hike again. Especially now that I know where to go. :)

bridge out

I hiked this trail for a SOTA activation, summit # W6/CT-005. It is an 8-point SOTA Peak due to its 9,100 elevation. Moderate hike most of the way other than a number of snow dam crossings. The last Quarter of a mile up the summit was the steepest and hardest. I made several contacts in 2 meter simplex and 20 meters.

This is a nice shorter trail with some great views. It is accurately classified as a moderate trail. Keep an eye out for the summit trail right after the PCT sign. We weren't looking and totally missed it; it's very soon after and not as obvious as the main PCT trail. There are some fallen logs after this point across the trail here and there but nothing too bad. I do think we went more than 4 miles but it could have been our accidental detour that put us closer to 6. Maybe.

Thursday, November 16, 2017

A great way to get some altitude without the crowds Baden-Powell. The trip took about an hour and forty minutes including stops. This one I am going to add for quick after work trip.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

I combined this hike with Mt. Hawkins (as recommended by modernhiker.com). I hit Hawkins first and Throop last. Both have phenomenal views. I recommend using the eastern most trailhead (not the western most which this route uses). It's step and kinda sketchy.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Got it off the PCT class of 2017. Nice summit, not too tough but fun. Could probably string together with Baden Powell and a few others.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

My 3rd time up to the peak of Throop Peak in the last year. Each time I'm up there I look for a peak registry log. I'm not finding anything. I'm a geocacher (BigDaddyGRC) so I've visited the cache several times. This last visit we found the trail covered in snow which made it a challenge without any gear for icy spots along the trail. The views are amazing for a quick after work hike.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

beautiful 360° views when you're in a time crunch

Friday, August 05, 2016

Windy at the top, but compared to the heat in the LA basin it ws a welcome relief. Short hike, but the altitude took more out of me than expected. Needed this hike to aclimate so I can hit the big peak hikes later in the yr. Awesome views! 7.70

Saturday, July 04, 2015

Great hike beginning has a few switch backs but short lived. Lots of shade trees. Great 360 view at the top,

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Beautiful, moderately easy trail. Only a very few switchbacks right from the trailhead, and after that you just contour along the ridgeline towards the junction with the PCT. Follow the trail to the right, and then immediately to the right again to get on the short .2 mile use trail to the summit of Throop Peak.

Monday, May 05, 2014

Finally, I was able to get to the Throop Peak on April 26, 2014. This time I had a friend with me. There were lots of cloud which blocked my 360 degree view! This is a great trail for me which let me felt the thin air.

Saturday, April 05, 2014

I failed again today (4/5/2014). I tried to follow the track of AllTrail and after trying for about an hour, I was about to come back. I met a nice person at the parking of Dawson Saddle. With help of his paper map and a hiking booklet, I realized trailhead was east side of the parking and AllTrail posted trail was at the west, which probably is a climbing route. I tried this trail mostly to reach above 9k feet. but I had to descend after reaching little more than 8600'. Not sure if it was altitude sickness, or the cold weather (I was really not prepared for this bitter cold and wind), I was not feeling well. I will try this trail again!

Saturday, March 29, 2014

I wanted to hike this trail today (3/29/2014). I started from Dawson Saddle but had very hard time to find the trail. After 20 minutes of try, I figured that I was on the trail but trail was covered with ice! I made few attempts to follow the trail. I think, my hiking boot was not safe enough, so I turned back. I will try this trail again after get crampons.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

I love this trail. So many options once you get up to the ridge. Perfect for escaping the heat of the valleys,mid summer and kind of chilly in the shade!! Gotta love it!

Friday, August 24, 2012

Hiked this trail for the first time last month with my two Weims...loved it, incredible 360 views at the top. Missed the turn to the top and extended the hike a bit, but I also ended up going to another peak so it was ok. A 4 star rating because of the views and the light traffic.

Saturday, August 04, 2012

Very nice hike - a bit steep for the first 1/4 of a mile or so, then just a steady uphill climb the rest of the way to the Throop Peak. Great views, lots of shade. Very enjoyable hike.

Sunday, August 07, 2011

Great, quick hike to get 360 degree views! Barely saw anybody on the trail. If we had more time, we would have loved to do the other peaks nearby. Worth the trip! Seems slightly harder than it really is because of altitude.

Friday, June 01, 2018