Throop Peak via Dawson Gap

Throop Peak via Dawson Gap is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great 360' view, short hike, peak in the high country of the Angeles This is a short, sweet and simple hike. For many people it can take less than 45 minutes to reach the top. It isn't the easiest of hikes, but, for anyone used to hiking who is in good condition, this hike is incredibly manageable. There is a plaque, a peak register, and a great 360' view from the top. Plus, the back peaks in the Angeles Forest are some of the best hiking country in Southern California.

A great way to get some altitude without the crowds Baden-Powell. The trip took about an hour and forty minutes including stops. This one I am going to add for quick after work trip.

I combined this hike with Mt. Hawkins (as recommended by modernhiker.com). I hit Hawkins first and Throop last. Both have phenomenal views. I recommend using the eastern most trailhead (not the western most which this route uses). It's step and kinda sketchy.

Got it off the PCT class of 2017. Nice summit, not too tough but fun. Could probably string together with Baden Powell and a few others.

My 3rd time up to the peak of Throop Peak in the last year. Each time I'm up there I look for a peak registry log. I'm not finding anything. I'm a geocacher (BigDaddyGRC) so I've visited the cache several times. This last visit we found the trail covered in snow which made it a challenge without any gear for icy spots along the trail. The views are amazing for a quick after work hike.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

beautiful 360° views when you're in a time crunch

Friday, August 05, 2016

Windy at the top, but compared to the heat in the LA basin it ws a welcome relief. Short hike, but the altitude took more out of me than expected. Needed this hike to aclimate so I can hit the big peak hikes later in the yr. Awesome views! 7.70

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Saturday, July 04, 2015

Great hike beginning has a few switch backs but short lived. Lots of shade trees. Great 360 view at the top,

Sunday, May 03, 2015

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Beautiful, moderately easy trail. Only a very few switchbacks right from the trailhead, and after that you just contour along the ridgeline towards the junction with the PCT. Follow the trail to the right, and then immediately to the right again to get on the short .2 mile use trail to the summit of Throop Peak.

Monday, May 05, 2014

Finally, I was able to get to the Throop Peak on April 26, 2014. This time I had a friend with me. There were lots of cloud which blocked my 360 degree view! This is a great trail for me which let me felt the thin air.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Saturday, April 05, 2014

I failed again today (4/5/2014). I tried to follow the track of AllTrail and after trying for about an hour, I was about to come back. I met a nice person at the parking of Dawson Saddle. With help of his paper map and a hiking booklet, I realized trailhead was east side of the parking and AllTrail posted trail was at the west, which probably is a climbing route. I tried this trail mostly to reach above 9k feet. but I had to descend after reaching little more than 8600'. Not sure if it was altitude sickness, or the cold weather (I was really not prepared for this bitter cold and wind), I was not feeling well. I will try this trail again!

Saturday, March 29, 2014

I wanted to hike this trail today (3/29/2014). I started from Dawson Saddle but had very hard time to find the trail. After 20 minutes of try, I figured that I was on the trail but trail was covered with ice! I made few attempts to follow the trail. I think, my hiking boot was not safe enough, so I turned back. I will try this trail again after get crampons.

Sunday, January 05, 2014