Three T's Trail via Icehouse Canyon

Three T's Trail via Icehouse Canyon is a 15.2 mile loop trail located near Mt Baldy, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A long, scenic loop from Icehouse Canyon to the Three T's Trail covering Timber Mtn, Telegraph Peak, and Thunder Mtn. Icehouse Canyon, nestled among cedar and pine, is a popular spot for casual hikers to enjoy alpine scenery and a year round stream. It is also served to more experienced hikers as a gateway to peaks in the Cucamonga Wilderness including the Three T’s Trail which summits Timber, Telegraph, and Thunder Mountains. From Icehouse trailhead, it is 3.6 miles to Icehouse Saddle, and an additional 5.6 miles to summit the three peaks to Baldy Notch. From Baldy Notch, you can walk down the access road or take the chairlift down during hours of operation. After reaching the base of Mt. Baldy (Manker Flat), the last 2.5 miles is paved back to the trailhead. This trip is a 14 mile loop, total. Another option is to backtrack the Three T's Trail after reaching Thunder Mtn. Getting to Icehouse Saddle is good exercise, but the Three T's Trail is strenuous. A lot of uphill and downhill hiking is required to pass over the prominences. The tallest is Telegraph Peak, at 8,985 ft.

Not sure what to give this review. I give 5-stars for the workout but there are serious issues that would prevent me from doing this trail again. After timber mountain the trail was extremely dangerous. It was only about a foot wide for long stretches forcing me to go much slower than normal, and stopping was also dangerous as it was very steep and extremely windy in areas. The main problem I had was that at one point during the trail, I absolutely could not find the extension to the other part of the trail. I ended up going longer than the trail extended and found myself on the edge of the mountains in slippery terrain. It was not fun. I had to backtrack several times, and actually what saved me was the gps I had downloaded from this site. It helped me get back on track and keep going.

Did a good loop hike of the Three T's Trail. Started in Icehouse Canyon, then up to Icehouse Saddle, hit the 3 T's peaks, down to Baldy Notch, then Manker Flats, then a short stretch on Mt Baldy Road back to Icehouse Canyon. About 17 miles total. Very fun hike and decent prep for Whitney. I have full hike directions for the Three T's Trail hike on my blog. Check it out. HikingGuy.com

I did the trail the icehouse. I wasn't nice weather and really hard trail. A perfect day.

Phew! Did this as an out and back. Clocked in on my gps at 6745 elevation gain over 16.4 miles. This was in basecamp, when uploaded to alltrails the numbers change for some reason. Great and very tough hike. Go early and bring water. The only consistent water is in the very beginning of the hike from Icehouse canyon.

Great trail one way from Baldy Notch to Ice House Canyon Trail Head. No campfires in the Wilderness please!

great work out and not heavily traveled. Really liked this hike.

Peaking the Three Ts. Took the Mount Baldy lifts to peak Thunder, Telegraph and Timber Mountains then back down Ice House Canyon. It was a gorgeous day started out about 50 degrees at 6:30 am but as we reached the top of the chair lifts the sun warmed you quickly. This is not a beginners hike and the trail is very steep at some points and single track. You will start to feel the elevation as soon as you get off the chair lift. and that can certainly slow you down. Saw a few deer along the way and a snakes. Trails were not very populated considering it was a weekend. We passed maybe 8-9 people except for the decent on Ice House. That was populated. Make sure to sign in at each peak in the metal box. Each one makes you feel like you have a new accomplishment.

Thursday, December 03, 2015

Friday, April 17, 2015

This is no easy hike, kicked my ass and would use it again to train for Whitney.

Pros: solitude, beautiful views, hard workout, 3 peaks, good with friends and for trail runners

Cons: temperature swings going from shadows to sun, long days hike, long lasting ice on the trail, 2 cars to start and finish, HARD-HARD-HARD not for first timers

My dad, 2 friends, and myself hiked this from ice house canyon to the baldy ski lift. You park one car in each area, $5 for day use wilderness pass, and $5 for baldy parking lot.

This hike frankly Beat us up! I think the first part to icehouse was the hardest part though.

From the the top of the canyon you come up on an intersection of trails, stay left for 3 T's, and follow it up the land bridges mountain after mountain until you end at the baldy ski resort.

Stay on the right ski trail once at Baldy resort, (the Last of the 3 T's) and it takes you down to the lifts which only work Fri-Sun! So pay those days to take the 15min lift back down to your car, or hike Mt. Baldy and come down the back trail by the Sierra Club Ski Hut, or take the fire road down to your car from baldy resort.

Loved/hated it, would do it again cause I'm crazy.

Monday, March 30, 2015

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

I met 2 friends at 730am on Sunday at the Mt. Baldy Ski Lifts. They parked right below the lot so they wouldn't have to pay the $5 to park. I then drove the 3 of us back to the Icehouse Canyon parking lot. If you don't do a car shuttle it would be an 8 mile walk between the two or you would have to catch a ride with a stranger. A massive rain storm had come through the area in August so the Icehouse trail was a bit different in sections, a lot more boulders. At the saddle we had a snack, then headed onto the Three T's trail. The three T's include Timber, Telegraph, and Thunder. Timber is 0.25 miles off the main trail and is at 4.45 miles at an elevation of 8319ft. At 6.85 miles you reach an unnamed peak we mistook for Telegraph at 8898ft. At 7.25 miles you get to Telegraph peak at 8982ft, it is also 0.25miles off the main trail. You then head down to the last peak, Thunder, at 8540ft. Then you head down a ski lift trail to the Baldy Notch where we took a chair lift down for $12 (only operates Fri-Sun during the summer). We took a route labeled easy for the skiers. Dave and I felt a fourth "T" could have been added in place of the unnamed peak. The trail was a bit overgrown, but not much; however, I would advise wearing pants. The views are magnificent after the saddle. I love this trail, I would definitely do it again. It is a great training hike for the Sierras with its high elevation and 5000ft elevation gain!!

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

I hiked this trail with a meet up group that just let me tag along. It was great fun. We bagged Timber and Telegraph peaks along the way. The trail was clear and beautiful. Icehouse was its usual uphill workout. I also enjoy the up and down workout going out to the three tees portion of the trail.

Monday, February 10, 2014

Today I hiked this trail with a meet up group. The goal was Telegraph Peak. After Timber Peak microspikes were definitely needed. There was a lot of ice and snow on this slope. Then there was a long stretch where it was very dry on the trail. The peak was awesome and warm when we got to the top. However on the way it was necessary to wear a beany and the wind was 25-40mph. This peak had wonderful views and all the slopes around were covered in snow!

Monday, January 20, 2014

It was a glorious day. Did not meet anyone on the trail today....Very peaceful. The weather was perfect. Not too warm. The trail still had a couple of icy patches but easy to get around. The views were spectacular. Saw a hawke.

Monday, November 11, 2013

This is a great trail. There was snow in the mountains and the trail was mostly clear of ice and snow. Some patches so be careful. I lovethis hike in the winter. The cucamonga trail is already icy so this is a great up and down alternative. The trail is a challenge and longer. It is 4mi to the end so 15mi out and back. I combined this with Icehouse Saddle trail