Three T's Trail via Icehouse Canyon

Three T's Trail via Icehouse Canyon is a 15.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Baldy, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A long, scenic loop from Icehouse Canyon to the Three T's Trail covering Timber Mtn, Telegraph Peak, and Thunder Mtn. Icehouse Canyon, nestled among cedar and pine, is a popular spot for casual hikers to enjoy alpine scenery and a year round stream. It is also served to more experienced hikers as a gateway to peaks in the Cucamonga Wilderness including the Three T’s Trail which summits Timber, Telegraph, and Thunder Mountains. From Icehouse trailhead, it is 3.6 miles to Icehouse Saddle, and an additional 5.6 miles to summit the three peaks to Baldy Notch. From Baldy Notch, you can walk down the access road or take the chairlift down during hours of operation. After reaching the base of Mt. Baldy (Manker Flat), the last 2.5 miles is paved back to the trailhead. This trip is a 14 mile loop, total. Another option is to backtrack the Three T's Trail after reaching Thunder Mtn. Getting to Icehouse Saddle is good exercise, but the Three T's Trail is strenuous. A lot of uphill and downhill hiking is required to pass over the prominences. The tallest is Telegraph Peak, at 8,985 ft.

after telegraph it's brutal, we were going to turn back because the trail was icy but the sun was setting and we were almost to Thunder Mtn, we kept going but crampons and ice axe are recommended after Telegraph Mtn.

very great hike we made it to timber mountain, and across the other side to telegraph mountain but the snow got so heavy and covered the trail we couldn't go further but it I will be back after it melts

This is a nice hike with views of Cajon Pass, San Gorgonio, San Jacinto and all the peaks in the Manker Flats/Icehouse Canyon area. There is one rather steep section (about 3/4 mile of 30+ degree incline) between Timber and Telegraph Peak. The rest of the trail is very much in line with other hikes in that area. It's easy to follow and it's not technical, but certainly requires a bit of experience and some fitness to complete.

Do yourself a favor and go with a friend and two cars. Park one at Manker Flats and park the other at Icehouse where you will start. Look I really am a purist when it comes to trail distance and elevation gain, but walking that road was boring and not very safe imho.

Great trail, a little steep at times but a great hike overall.

We did this hike on Sunday October 29th 2017. We started from Icehouse Canyon trailhead around 6:15 a.m. in the dark and got to the saddle by about 8:30 a.m. . The weather was chilly but not too cold. the hike up to Timber Mountain who is moderate and pretty straightforward. At the top of Timber is nice flat summit with a sign and a register embedded into the tree behind the sign. There is some paper and pens inside of there that you can leave a note if you would like. Then we hiked up to Telegraph Peak. That was probably the most strenuous part of this hike. The trail from Timber Mountain saddle to Telegraph Peak was very strenuous and non-stop climbing. Lots and lots of switchbacks! And just when you think you've made it to the top... Nope! But we finally made it and we're very happy with the view from the top of Telegraph Peak. This peak probably had one of the best views out of the three. The view into the desert below and the mountain ranges around us was spectacular. Nice clear shot of Baldy and across the way Gorgonio and San Jacinto. Of course you could also pick out Etiwanda Peak, Cucamonga Peak, Timber Mountain, Bighorn Peak, Ontario Peak. Not much shade at the top of Telegraph Peak, we managed to find a little spot behind the big rock at the Summit and ate our lunch there. We headed down back to the junction of the three T's Trail and headed for Thunder Mountain. The hike up to Thunder Mountain seems super easy compared to the climb we just had going up to Telegraph. At the top of Thunder Mountain there is a non-functioning chairlift and abandon Ski Hut / chair lift operations Hut. there is a little sign that says Thunder Mountain by the chair lifts. we didn't hang out too long because the summit was unimpressive. But we can say we checked it off our list. Fom there it is an easy walk down the ski slopes back to the Baldy Notch. From the Baldy Notch you can choose to take the ski lifts down for $15 per person, or just walk the fire road back down to Manker Flats. We opted to walk the fire road back to Manker Flats then hitched a ride back to Icehouse Canyon. I really would not recommend hiking down the mountain Road from Manker Flats to Icehouse Canyon, it seems pretty dangerous if you ask me with all of the traffic coming up and down and there is not always adequate space on the road for pedestrians. Especially if you take into account most people coming up here are not regular Mountain drivers which makes it even more unsafe to traverse this road on foot. I recommend making it a shuttle hike or finding a ride from Manker Flats back to Icehouse Canyon. Overall I really enjoyed this hike it was very different from the other hikes I've done in the Cucamonga wilderness. if you're looking for a strenuous long buttkicker of a hike with spectacular views this is it!

This is a great trail that can be done from Icehouse or Manker Flat. There are a few sections on the south side of Telegraph that are confusing and/or eroded, but the trail is pretty easy to follow. Just follow this app, a GPX, or a map, and you'll be fine. This hike is a more strenuous than Cucamonga, but not extremely so. The views from Telegraph are some of the best in the San Gabes if you enjoy the desert and like looking at other peaks from different angles. Baldy in particular looks amazing.

This is a good intro for newbs testing out their legs. Not difficult for a advanced/fit hiker. Views were under whelming and it was crowded. Not worth doing a second time.

The trail is well maintained. In the cloudy day of June 11, we saw splendid sea of clouds at the peak. The wind between icehouse canyon saddle and baldy notch can some time be fierce. The shade of the trail is not rare nor abundant. Shuttle may be arranged to avoid hiking along the road for the last 3miles.

Bring an umbrella and lots of water, there is very little shade higher up. Wear pants, the trail gets thin where brush is barley cut. This trail made my dogs paws sore. I don't recommend for dogs over 40 lbs.

Great!!! The only thing is the last part, walking down Baldy Road to get back to Icehouse, didn't realize that!

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Not sure what to give this review. I give 5-stars for the workout but there are serious issues that would prevent me from doing this trail again. After timber mountain the trail was extremely dangerous. It was only about a foot wide for long stretches forcing me to go much slower than normal, and stopping was also dangerous as it was very steep and extremely windy in areas. The main problem I had was that at one point during the trail, I absolutely could not find the extension to the other part of the trail. I ended up going longer than the trail extended and found myself on the edge of the mountains in slippery terrain. It was not fun. I had to backtrack several times, and actually what saved me was the gps I had downloaded from this site. It helped me get back on track and keep going.

Friday, July 22, 2016

Did a good loop hike of the Three T's Trail. Started in Icehouse Canyon, then up to Icehouse Saddle, hit the 3 T's peaks, down to Baldy Notch, then Manker Flats, then a short stretch on Mt Baldy Road back to Icehouse Canyon. About 17 miles total. Very fun hike and decent prep for Whitney. I have full hike directions for the Three T's Trail hike on my blog. Check it out. HikingGuy.com

Monday, July 18, 2016

I did the trail the icehouse. I wasn't nice weather and really hard trail. A perfect day.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Phew! Did this as an out and back. Clocked in on my gps at 6745 elevation gain over 16.4 miles. This was in basecamp, when uploaded to alltrails the numbers change for some reason. Great and very tough hike. Go early and bring water. The only consistent water is in the very beginning of the hike from Icehouse canyon.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Great trail one way from Baldy Notch to Ice House Canyon Trail Head. No campfires in the Wilderness please!

Sunday, June 19, 2016

great work out and not heavily traveled. Really liked this hike.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Peaking the Three Ts. Took the Mount Baldy lifts to peak Thunder, Telegraph and Timber Mountains then back down Ice House Canyon. It was a gorgeous day started out about 50 degrees at 6:30 am but as we reached the top of the chair lifts the sun warmed you quickly. This is not a beginners hike and the trail is very steep at some points and single track. You will start to feel the elevation as soon as you get off the chair lift. and that can certainly slow you down. Saw a few deer along the way and a snakes. Trails were not very populated considering it was a weekend. We passed maybe 8-9 people except for the decent on Ice House. That was populated. Make sure to sign in at each peak in the metal box. Each one makes you feel like you have a new accomplishment.

Friday, April 17, 2015

This is no easy hike, kicked my ass and would use it again to train for Whitney.

Pros: solitude, beautiful views, hard workout, 3 peaks, good with friends and for trail runners

Cons: temperature swings going from shadows to sun, long days hike, long lasting ice on the trail, 2 cars to start and finish, HARD-HARD-HARD not for first timers

My dad, 2 friends, and myself hiked this from ice house canyon to the baldy ski lift. You park one car in each area, $5 for day use wilderness pass, and $5 for baldy parking lot.

This hike frankly Beat us up! I think the first part to icehouse was the hardest part though.

From the the top of the canyon you come up on an intersection of trails, stay left for 3 T's, and follow it up the land bridges mountain after mountain until you end at the baldy ski resort.

Stay on the right ski trail once at Baldy resort, (the Last of the 3 T's) and it takes you down to the lifts which only work Fri-Sun! So pay those days to take the 15min lift back down to your car, or hike Mt. Baldy and come down the back trail by the Sierra Club Ski Hut, or take the fire road down to your car from baldy resort.

Loved/hated it, would do it again cause I'm crazy.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

I met 2 friends at 730am on Sunday at the Mt. Baldy Ski Lifts. They parked right below the lot so they wouldn't have to pay the $5 to park. I then drove the 3 of us back to the Icehouse Canyon parking lot. If you don't do a car shuttle it would be an 8 mile walk between the two or you would have to catch a ride with a stranger. A massive rain storm had come through the area in August so the Icehouse trail was a bit different in sections, a lot more boulders. At the saddle we had a snack, then headed onto the Three T's trail. The three T's include Timber, Telegraph, and Thunder. Timber is 0.25 miles off the main trail and is at 4.45 miles at an elevation of 8319ft. At 6.85 miles you reach an unnamed peak we mistook for Telegraph at 8898ft. At 7.25 miles you get to Telegraph peak at 8982ft, it is also 0.25miles off the main trail. You then head down to the last peak, Thunder, at 8540ft. Then you head down a ski lift trail to the Baldy Notch where we took a chair lift down for $12 (only operates Fri-Sun during the summer). We took a route labeled easy for the skiers. Dave and I felt a fourth "T" could have been added in place of the unnamed peak. The trail was a bit overgrown, but not much; however, I would advise wearing pants. The views are magnificent after the saddle. I love this trail, I would definitely do it again. It is a great training hike for the Sierras with its high elevation and 5000ft elevation gain!!

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

I hiked this trail with a meet up group that just let me tag along. It was great fun. We bagged Timber and Telegraph peaks along the way. The trail was clear and beautiful. Icehouse was its usual uphill workout. I also enjoy the up and down workout going out to the three tees portion of the trail.