Three Sisters Waterfalls Trail

Three Sisters Waterfalls Trail is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Descanso, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 997 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

This is a great hike with a fun seasonal waterfall at the end where you can cool off. Start early or late in the day as it gets hot, bring lots of water, and use caution as this trail has some loose rocks, involves some ropes, and has some steep sections. Not a great hike for kids or dogs due to these sections. The trail has been greatly improved and rerouted so ropes are no longer needed. The road leading to the trailhead is rocky. Make sure to bring an appropriate vehicle to get the trailhead.

Awesome hike. We started 7:30am. Hike is way easier now compared 2 years ago. Old trails no longer used rope.

I wish I could give different reviews - the spring is amazing with water. Today, not so much - falls are dried and pools are green with moss. It’s a great work out and challenge.

Fun and challenging. save energy for hike back up.

Always a great hike! Water update from 10/6: no water flowing down the falls but still some in the pools

I went to the falls to grab some fresh fried chicken but when I got there there was no KFC anywhere! What a waste! Also I couldn't snowboard, really wish they would post snow conditions at the trailhead so I didn't carry my board for nothing. One star!

We took an Uber here. Awful idea. It’s about 40 minutes on the mountain in a dirt road and the Uber was so upset because it ruined his tires. He kept saying we’re not going to get an Uber back and we should just come back with him. When we got there, there was only 3 other cars and no one to be found. There was no cars available to take another Uber. Phone service stopped working so we would have been stuck there. We drove 3 hours total and spent $150 for nothing. Disappointed

Hell on a hot day. Only go on a cool, cloudy one. Heat can be dangerous. Very little water in the summer, but you can swim. Lots more water flowing in the winter and spring but no swimming. Spring flowers are beautiful. Not easy but a good time.

I completed this hike about a week ago and was definitely happy I did! The trailhead was clearly marked and the trail itself is maintained. Hiking back from the falls is mostly all uphill which was pretty difficult, but getting to the falls was a breeze. I wouldn't recommend carrying an umbrella as a shade source due to the narrow sections of the trail. If you decide to go in broad daylight, just wear a hat and bring some water.

Not so hard getting to the falls but kicked our booties coming back up. Cool hike tho.

I took my aunt who’s visiting from Utah. I highly recommend to start early, and take plenty of water. Great hike!

This is one of my favorite day hikes. the waterfall is beautiful. I like the new trail. bring lots of water and an umbrella to give you some shade

Three sisters is a great hike! Beware of lack of shade towards the beginning of the trailhead. Relatively simple trail with a some pools and small amount of shade at the end. Take a decent amount of water if hot; it seems longer than it really is on return hike, thus ample water is needed.

This was a pretty difficult hike. Started off easy then became more and more intense. Once we got to the water falls it was worth it. Bring lots of water on a hot day. Terrain is a bit too sketchy (in my opinion) for small kids and dogs.

See https://www.geek.com/news/watch-dog-rescued-after-collapsing-from-heatstroke-during-hike-in-california-1801009/ for a dog which had to be rescued on the Three Sisters Waterfalls Trail - be careful with your dog/s.

As of 8/18/19, the falls have dried up to a trickle. Still a nice pool to swim around at the first waterfall and the ropes are back, making the climb up a little bit easier to that first waterfall. Luckily I didn't encounter any snakes but I was back at my csr by 10am. I'm sure later in the day they are out and about. Still one of my favorite hikes to do and once it rains again, I'm sure the falls will be flowing again in no time.

this trail has some great views! the falls are absolutely AMAZING & feel great after the hike down to it! Hiking down to the falls isn’t as challenging as hiking back to the parking lot though! We did run into a rattlesnake so just be aware they def hang out on this trail. There’s not much shade for a majority of this hike. we brought 20+ water bottles & went through all of them. So BRING WATER & SUNSCREEN! We also brought our 2 year old (hiking backpack) and we will probably never do this again with him in tow!

I gave 5 stars or more. I've been there myself, & I was told it was difficult. it's only difficult for some people if they're not into challenges and not into dealing with outdoor much and insects. Yes! no shades going back up to the parking lot, but that is why they warned people on the websites what to bring and what to expect. I went there for my 49th birthday trip early at 0700 am. It was the greatest challenged and Hike I've ever done... I'm going back there again with my 2 youngster co workers for more challenge.