Three Points to Mt Waterman

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(42)
San Gabriel Wilderness

Three Points to Mt Waterman is a 13.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Palmdale, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 13.3 miles Elevation Gain: 3,136 feet Route Type: Out & Back

NOTE: As of May 2020, parking lot to the trailhead is closed. Please check the park website for more information.

Hiked on May 23, 2020. The Three Points parking lot has reopened. It has approximately 20 spaces, a third of which were full at 7:15 a.m. on a Saturday. The lot has a pit toilet, but there's a sign right now saying that it hasn't been maintained recently due to the coronavirus. The trail has pleasant variations in grade that make it neither too challenging nor too easy. I'd describe it as 50/50 shaded and exposed. Saw some beautiful lupine and paintbrush. The beginning has some overgrown thorny bushes (I think chaparral whitethorn?) but it's not so bad that you lose the trail; just wear long pants and you'll be fine. As of today, I counted three streams with sufficient water to pump should you need to fill up. On the portion of the trail between Three Points and the Twin Peaks jx, I saw four people. On the portion between the Twin Peaks and Waterman jxs, I saw five people. On the 0.75 mi between Waterman jx and the summit, I saw maybe two dozen plus, undoubtedly most of them doing the loop or out-and-back from Buckhorn. All to say, if you prefer a quiet trail and don't want to fight for parking at Buckhorn, this is a better approach to Waterman, assuming you can handle the extra distance. My GPS recorded it at 14.1 mi round trip.

This is a beautiful hike in the Angeles National Forest. The parking lot was closed so I parked 75’ past the lot at a trailhead for a section of the PCT. The first 1/4 mile or so is actually a part of the PCT but there are clearly marked signs indicating the correct direction at the fork. Approximately 3/4 mile into the hike, there are small switchbacks with overgrown thorny shrubs so watch out! The rest of the trail is clear, easy to follow, & has a gradual incline all the way to the summit. Enjoy!

Nice hike this morning. Started at 5:30 and finished around 11:30 didn’t see anyone until almost to the Waterman junction, saw a total of 8 people only two wearing a mask, come on people it’s not that hard. Returned via the Waterman ridge. So many hikers at the other trailheads it’s insane up there.

recorded Three Points to Mt Waterman

Just did the Three Points to Mt Waterman hike yesterday 5/3. It was a gorgeous day and great hike! There were a handful of small patches of snow toward the top but you can easily see where the trail comes out on the other end. As was mentioned, there are a few trees down along the way, but pretty easily navigable either over/through or around. There are a few spots where it’s a touch ambiguous but overall, very easy to keep the trail. I saw about 15-20 people or so, mostly after you make the turn toward the summit, so I only saw about 5 maybe from Theee Points to the summit junction. Probably a 6.5-7 out of 10 for difficulty to me. It clocked in at 14 miles on my Apple Watch, and took me 5.5 hours with 10-15 minutes spent at the summit to stretch. Good stuff!

Trail was open! Such a spectacular hike. I started at 2pm and ended at 7pm. It was hot at the start but the higher you get, the wind picks up and there is snow in the last mile (in the shade of the mountain!). Great flat spots to camp at the top of the peak if you wanted to spend the night! FYI - You need an Adventure pass to park in the lot.

Nice hike. We got a late start so turned around just before Twin Peaks/Mt Waterman junction. Snow all gone, some streams still trickling. Shrubs starting to choke the path at points but trail easy to follow.

Fun, long climb. Beautiful expansive views of the mountains and snow caps at high altitudes. It may be too hot to do in the Summer months, so bring plenty of water as the streams will most certainly be gone by then.

There’s definitely still a lot of snow at the top as of 4/26, a few trees you need to scramble under or over, and a bit of bushwhacking at the beginning. No shade the first few miles

Beautiful, serene and peaceful! First couple miles are a bit overgrown but the trail overall is well-marked and stunning. Will return to hike up to the Twin Peaks from the saddle when I have a bit more time!

Tue Apr 16 2019

Hiked this on 4/16/19. Great way to get up to Mt. Waterman! There are currently multiple trees down over the trail, all of which are passable, but some present a good obstacle. Also, keep an eye out for Poodle Dog Bush in the first 1-2 miles of the trail. Most of it is easily avoided if you stay alert and on trail.

Mon Dec 24 2018

did this hike a couple days ago and wow, beautiful views. well maintained trail & easy to follow at junctions. you can make the tail into a longer loop if you go down the east side to the PCT also. there was little snow coverage, but i'm sure they'll change soon. patchy snow at 7,000ft & trail coverage the last half mile

Sat May 26 2018

I had often wondered if were possible to hike across the Western Ridge of Mt. Waterman during the many times I have hiked this trail, so I decided today would be the day I found out. A couple of days prior I noticed a fellow user had posted tracks of just what I intended to do giving me confidence this could be done. Starting out around 6:30 am from 3 points I arrived at the summit of Waterman just after 9 am. After a short break I headed off to the west down the ridge, much to my surprise there is actually a pretty decent use trail that follows the ridge all the way down to the saddle about 1.5 miles from the trailhead. This is a seldom used trail so I did lose it from time to time but it is pretty straightforward which way to go. Upon reaching the saddle I took the steep trail down to the north connecting with the PCT in about .5 miles. It was nice discovering this portion of the mountain I had not previously seen. A portion of my track recording is missing as I must of hit the pause button while taking a photo. If you decide to take this route make sure you are comfortable with off trail travel and have a map and compass or GPS unit with Topo maps installed as this is a trail you will likely not see another hiker. Enjoy and be safe.

recorded Three Points to Mt Waterman