Three Peaks From Nordic Station

Three Peaks From Nordic Station is a 10.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pine Mountain Club, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,001 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The three peaks: Mount Pinos, Sawmill, and Grouse Mount Hike.

I did this hike for the 321 challenge. With that said, if you're looking for a hard challenge hike this really isn't it. But it is so pretty and really a must do. The trail to Mt Pinos should really be rated easy but from there you start more of your moderate hike. Sawmill is a great hike with both incline and declines. But the last hike Grouse was more unexpectedly challenging because the switchbacks you travel down will be a good time when you got to go back up. Someone had taken the Grouse sign so my friend Christy had her husband make one for the hike. So keep your eye out for it they did a great job on the sign. Also Nordic Base is a great open lot that has plenty of room for automobiles.

Nice hike. Windy but worth it.

Lightly traveled trail with great views at Pinos and Sawmill. Windy in some areas. Beautiful trail with birds, pine trees, grasshoppers and wild flowers. Moderate effort even though you go up and down the trails. Grouse is hard to locate as the trail stops short of actual peak.

Spent a beautiful day in the Los Padres National Forest! This trail is rated "hard" and I thought, "How hard could it be?" Not much elevation gain and not too long a distance. Haha! Mt Pinos itself was easy. Very slight incline, a mixture of sun and shade. Beautiful wildflowers in bloom all over the hills. Then came Sawmill. Initially easy...because it's mostly downhill! Another gradual incline to the peak. Not bad. At this point, my hiking partner, who was struggling, decided to take a break and I continued on to Grouse. Surprise! Another long trek downhill! The push to the top was steep, but short. When I thought I was at the peak, I checked my map...only to find that I wasn't at the peak. Lovely views on top of that ridge, however. Ok...now to find Grouse. There was no trail to speak of. I never would have found it without the AllTrails app. It was a bit anticlimactic, as it didn't really seem like a peak. It was a spot in the midst of the forest with no views. If it hadn't been for the app, I wouldn't have known that I had gotten there! This is a beautiful hike, however, and I will do it again. Now for the hard part. Hiking back up those long stretches that were downhill on the way in. THAT is what challenges you. Got in a good workout, saw some amazing scenery (those trees!), and the temps were perfect. It might have been 103 at home, but it was in the mid-70's up on that mountain. What a great day!

Great hike for viewing the Chumash Wilderness

We hit all the peaks in the area, this trail is difficult especially on the return.

recorded Mount Pinos Trail