Learn more

Three Bears Loop is a 18.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Orinda, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for road biking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 18.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,447 feet Route Type: Loop

paved

This classic road bike ride starts at the western end of Bear Creek Road, climbs east past Briones Reservoir, then levels out with a left at Alhambra Valley Road. The cruise finishes with a southward leg along the busier San Pablo Dam Road. Great riding loop, counter-clockwise is best!

Very nice loops with some good dénivellation. The view is great and the road is in good condition.

Great ride, very little traffic right now. Road in really good condition with bike lane around most of the loop. Mostly exposed, bring water as there are no facilities Shame about the trash piles on the side of the road.

very scenic

Enter @ the gate and pay $7 , beautiful hiking trail. It’s worth it

Difficult at the beginning of you’re not used to bike, but then it gets easier and you bike through stunning hills, horses and cows. The last part has a bit of traffic.

Great loop with great hills.

Mon May 27 2019

no dogs allowed

Thu Mar 16 2017

Alhambra Valley Road closed due to sinkhole.

Sat Sep 03 2016

Woot! Perfect way to kick start a Saturday morning! First attempt at this ride and it was awesome--smooth paved road, lots of other cyclists (but not crowded!), and some cars depending on location but enough space on the road for them to pass you. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing my improvements with time and speed. I went counter-clockwise and according to my record, it appears that I conquered the steeper/higher inclines first, which probably explains why I saw tons of cyclists going the opposite direction (clockwise)... so I'll try that next time. I'm used to long distance, flat road biking so the 20 miles was nothing but the inclines... oh man, there were probably 3 or 4 "hills" where I was in my lowest gear for a good 10-15 minutes just inching along but again I look forward to seeing my improvements! Totally recommended!

paddle sports