Thousand Island Lake is a 14.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near June Lake, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 14.3 miles Elevation Gain: 3,881 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Microspikes and trekking poles are highly recommended. A permit is required if you wish to stay overnight on this trail.

The plan was to hike to ediza from rush creek to summit Mount Ritter via SE Glacier. I fell short due to a late start so I camped at the far end of thousand island. The next day I hiked over to lake Catherine on Banners west side to attempt a summit. Wasn’t able to do so so I checked out the west slope of Ritter. Beautiful area, the hike from rush creek to thousand island kicked my butt with a 60lb pack.

spectacular!!!!

Took the Pacific Crest High Trail there and the meadow trail back along the creek. It’s an amazing hike and backpacking trip as well as an amazing exercise for your legs!

One of the best hikes I've ever done! Stunning view at the end. The first couple miles are rough due to the steep elevation gain, but it gets a lot better afterwards!

2017 September

We took the River Trail from Agnews Meadow up to Thousand Island Lake, then back along the High Trail and dropped back into the back side of the parking lot by the pack station. Beautiful views. Was chilly at times (even a few snow flakes!), but we were prepared. Definitely not for the faint of heart, but well worth the effort!

Actually did a variation of this route and went by Agnew gem Waugh thousand island Garnett emerald ruby badger and Clark lakes through Agnew meadows which totaled 27.5 miles over 2 days. Quite difficult with considerable elevation gain. Views are astounding with god only knows how many unnamed lakes. Banner peak was out in all its glory as we camped near flame Lake and then Garnett lake. Very windy the second night and day but so worth it. Massive 5 stars for this.

Left around 6:30am from Silver lake, got to the summit of Mount Davis 1:40 I was in for rude awakening with all the rock scrambling very tedious and time consuming, patches of snow above 10,000 ft , saw my very first Marmot in the sierras, no fear and very friendly, the views from Mount Davis were absolutely breathtaking, Yosemite mountains were in clear view, got back to my car around 7:30pm a long day. Note: there was grocery bag with food left on the JMT sign, please don’t do this, Bear do not need free food, very irresponsible, please respect the wilderness.

You need a permit to overnight backpack on this trail. And you have to either reserve it online ahead of time or go into a ranger station THE DAY BEFORE your hike and get a walk in permit, which they limit to only like 7 per day. if you're coming from far away to backpack this trail, you better plan ahead. You also are required to use a bear can when backpacking Alltrails!! You need to tell people when they need a Permit to backpack on a trail!! it would really help people out.

I made a 2 day trip out of it and had a good time. The lakes and views were amazing. I got bit 7 times even with 20% Picardin so I definitely recommend to cover up your arms and legs. Once you past the Dam the difficulty really ramps up (steep switchbacks on loose rock) but once you get to the wooded Forest area it gets a lot easier.

This is a great route. The trailhead had plenty of parking and the route was well marked. It passes by an abundance of lakes. We did the hike as a 4 day 3 night trip at Thousand Island lake. Our kids came along as well, ages 8, 5 and 9 months. It really pushed their limits but they had so much fun at the lake.

8/23 This was my second trip out to Thousand Island Lake, but this time we took the High trail (PCT) in and the River trail. (Last time we hiked in from June Lake) The River trail isn't on the AT map, but it is on the Topo. It was just as beautiful as last time. a 7.5 mile tough hike in, but more than worth it. The water was too cold for us to swim in, so we just took a quick dip to refresh ourselves after the hike, it felt amazing! (there were a few crazies able to swim for an extended period, so my hats off to them) My only issue is that when we explored a few off trail established camp sites along the way and found fire pits in them! If you want a campfire in the Sierras, stay in the RV campgroungs, you don't belong on the trail. This is the exact thing that bothered me about Mt Whitney, people not following the rules and only concerned with their own experience with nature. This seems to be more common with our increasingly narcissistic "me culture". Please respect the natural beauty around you people, I dont think its gonna be around much longer.

Hiked in 8/10 and hiked out 8/11. The first 5 miles are up hill and intense but the views are amazing the entire way. Our overnight was at Thousand Islands lake which is absolutely stunning. At Thousand Islands the mosquitos are insane, even biting us with a ton of bug spray on! (Deet of 15!) we had to eat our meals in our tent to keep the mosquitos from flying into our food. It does drop to below freezing at night but there was little wind while we were there making it perfect. Also, thousand islands is on the JMT and the PCT resulting in a several campers even on a Sunday night. I would recommend it if you're wanting stunning views, but if you're wanting to get away from people this is not a trail I would pick.

Amazing views through spooky meadows all the way to thousand island lake. Roughly about 35 to 45 switch backs, the first 3 miles are brutal. Lots of great sources for water and a few stream crossings. overall, take two days to do this hike.

I consider myself the harshest trail critic and this is really a 5 star spot, most beautiful shit on Earth.

I hiked this four days ago and though I had been told there was no snow; two very difficult snow crossings, one over water. Super sketchy and I was kicking myself not to have my microspikes on me. The snow is melting fast though so maybe better by now? This hike is tough the first three miles or so as you go across loose scree, switchbacks up above Gem Lake. Views are phenomenal though and it’s worth it once you reach Spooky Meadows; Crazy beauty. Bugs were ridiculous bad near Clark’s Lakes and Summit? Lake. One of the best hikes I have done in the eastern Sierras this summer. Check out my blog for more info! http://hungrymountaineer.com/yogis-favorite-trail-snacks-for-trekking-the-eastern-sierras/

The lake is thawed as is most of the surrounding area. Very little snow travel required and LOTS of gorgeous camp sites. Hard to beat the view of Banner.

was up there during the 4th of july weekend . above gem lake the trail is gone...only gps or navigating by i blazes on the trees to find the route. must have because there is zero trail . with micro spikes, its very manageable to clark lakes. assuming you can find them. Good camp spots at the lakes. Summit lake is 85% frozen and beautiful. High route is clear. River walk is mostly clear. Didn't see too many people that were happy with a decision to go to thousand island. Theres no lake and mostly snow.

need ice axe, crampons and gps to take this route (june 29th update) . specifically, the challenging part was the slope coming out of lake agnew area, very steep with no visible trail and the snow is slippery. easier route is coming around gem lake to thousand island. ps. thousand island lake is still 85% frozen.

Any update on the trail!?

Tue Feb 12 2019

Hiked this a few years back. Our first camp was at Clark lakes and ended up staying there both nights because it was so nice. We did take our day packs out to Thousand Island lake and do some fishing on the second day and headed back up to our camp at Clark Lakes. Really cool place to camp between two lakes on either side of the trail. We took the River Trail down to Angnew meadows on our last day and the wild flowers were awesome. I have permits again for this year in July and I can't wait to go back with the wife this time!