Thermalito Ridgeline Oak Tree Trail

Thermalito Ridgeline Oak Tree Trail is a 6.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sunol, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,325 feet Route Type: Loop

Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park is an often overlooked getaway from the seemingly never-ending suburbs that fringe the San Francisco Bay Area. This hike from the Foothills Staging Area is an excellent introduction to the park: long enough to get your heart rate up, but not nearly as arduous as some hikes in the nearby hills. Once you hike up to the ridge, you meander up and down with far-reaching views of the nearby scenery, including Mount Diablo and the San Francisco Bay. Once nice amenity: a smattering of water spigots to refill your water bottle. And a surprise: The hike passes through a grove of olive trees planted when a local rancher owned the land. Note this park is popular with mountain bikers, so keep an eye out.

Great trail, many different paths to take. I am new to hiking and being overweight this one was a great challenge, but still fun. The view at the top was awesome

This first half of the loop is along a fire road so it is great for a group of hikers. It is an easy hike but with the mileage- over 6 miles- and uphill climbs- (most of the more challenging climbs are short) I would rate this as easy/moderate. Very nice hike with some nice views.

This is on the Easy side of Moderate. If you like safe, moderately trafficked, fire trail hikes then you'll like this one. I was looking for something a little more remote, and the back half of this trail is ok, but overall I was disappointed.

Nice easy-moderate trail. Wasnt too hot when we went mid morning but limited shade along the way.

recorded Pleasanton Ridge Trail

Took the inner loop counter clockwise this time around - good burn starting in, found I think I prefer it clockwise, however. Maybe because I hit the trail later in the afternoon than I’m accustomed to, which was a bit freaky on Sycamore towards Kilkare Woods since me being me, HAD to get in just a bit extra other than the usual tiny loop. Didn’t see a solitary soul from the main trail through Sycamore- doubt I’ll come out after 5:30pm again - (cringing over the cougars that may have had their eyes peeled on me lol!) Really the majority of ppl who hit the trails evening time (6pm & after are the serious mountain biker folks w helmet lights.) Great hike, even so, for a quickie after work!

Popular trail, but not so that it’s crowded. Bring sunscreen and a hat. If you run it, it’s perfect distance/elevation to train for a spartan race super.

quick loop, oak tree (lot -> ridgeline in 13:48)

Good Workout and really nice views once your at the top

Highly recommend the trail. I feel safe and there are water stops to refill your bottles and to water your dog.

If you want single track you need to explore. The ones you will find tend to be very steep and advanced with lots of hairpin turns. I certainly have been on better but it’s pretty good if you have time to look around. Oh and it’s damn beautiful there and especially tranquil in the gullies on the west side.

I’m not super in shape and it wasn’t too bad! Amazing views. I was definitely sore and I think we did a little short cut but it was nice! I will go again.

This trails are awesome when it's dry ,if is muddy ,not too fun..but I'm still doing it ...ride it's a ride..I will recommend this trail on summer time..

This trail is okay. Good for dog walkers and mountain bikes. It is crowded, lots of freeway noise.

Monday, September 03, 2018

Good trail the last part is a bit steep buts it’s worth the effort u could see the whole of city from the height

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

nice open trail with good views. we did it at sunrise and it was awesome!

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

I was expecting more single track through the woods etc. it's mostly just a dirt road except for the last last downhill section. no technical aspects. the views are great at the top but scenery on the trail itself is a little boring, oak trees and the dried up native grass. the best thing about the trail is that it is steep and provides a good uphill workout.

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Great scenic workout!!

Sunday, June 10, 2018

For an urban trail this is just great lots of woods to walk through as well as the usual open California chaparral

Saturday, June 09, 2018

The pictures don’t do this trail justice! I’m from flat as can be Houston Texas. The hills (mountains in my eyes) are beautiful and rolling. A camera simply does not pick up there beauty as seeing it in person does. The views from the top are amazing!!

Thursday, May 03, 2018

My husband and I hike here with our dog very often. It’s really close to where we live so it makes it easy. It’s so beautiful, great views! Most of it is slightly uphill so it’s a good workout

Monday, April 23, 2018