The Slot is a 2.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Borrego Springs, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

scenic driving

Slot Canyon is an unmaintained trail off a sand road, far from most visitor traffic. Here, flash floods formed a breathtaking slot canyon. At points, forty-foot high walls arch above a foot-wide canyon floor.

Neat walk! The canyons were beautiful and mysterious. Some spots were a little tight but then open up into a big wash with great views of surrounding hills. We didn't quite know where to go after we exited, there were no clear markers of where to loop back from. we asked other people and everyone was just going back the way they came. The map indicates a loop but we didn't find it. over all, we thought it was great!

So much fun! Easy trail, fun canyon to walk through, plenty easy for kids. Tight areas and very low ceilings in some places. We took the canyon through then did a deviation at the end and came back the same way for added mileage. Did about 2.5 miles total. Weather was perfect 2-10-19 but you definitely do not want to do this hike in summer months. It was 61 and we were sweating good towards the end.

We only went in a quarter mile before turning back as it got very windy. However, the slot canyons were totally worth it - next time we plan to complete the whole loop.

Hiked this trail on Feb 7 2019, in near perfect weather. Very cool; different than other hikes in area and well worth doing. About 1.5 mile drive off of 78 to trailhead on sandy road. We were in. a Jeep but not difficult for a car. This would be a hot one much later than April!. We did the slot first then the big hill and flat finish.

On January 27, 2019 with Pierce on the same day we did Palm Canyon. It was a beautiful day in the 70s when we did this hike. Definitely want to start on the top part first before going into the “slots” since that’s the best part of the hike, so I suggest starting to the left of the cliff when looking out. Also Maps tried to make it seem like we had to park out on 78 and walk the rest of the way here but there’s parking and it saves 30 minutes from our drive since we aren’t actually walking, so just FYI if that happens to anyone else.

We had some difficulty figuring out exactly where the canyon began, so it could be more clearly marked, but overall very cool. We went when it was pretty hot out still. I don't recommend it but we managed! Not a difficult hot but definitely gets hot out there.

Such a fun easy hike and a close little drive in you live in Oceanside/San Diego Drive! Narrow rocks are quite beautiful and a nice getaway from the city!

By far the neatest hike I've done. loved walking through the narrow canyon. you can even climb up to the top. soo soo much to see. so many different directions you can go. once u make ur way out u will hit this HUGE hill u have to climb/walk up to get up and out of the canyon and back to the parking lot. once up that hill u will be the whole canyon wide up from the top. I will def be back, hopefully to backpack..

off road driving

Breathtaking views. We actually set up camp here for a night. It was definitely not the best spot due to the sand flies, but it was perfectly silent, except for a heli patroling here and there. Such a beautiful sight to wake up to.

Short, easy, kids and I loved it!

Great short hike. We did the loop walking down through the slot first and the up the hill and along the ridge on the road. The slot is really fun!

off road driving

Great hike through an amazing landscape. The trail is quite easy to follow once you arrive in the parking lot.
The drive up the dusty road from the 78 is easy enough that 4wd is not required at all. A buddy of mine drove up in a Scion XB and had no trouble. Just be mindful of the patchy sand and be sure to stay on the designated road at all times.
This hike is well worth the trip. Best time to visit is November-April so that the heat isn't so bad.

Great hike! I can’t wait to go there again :p

Great, easy slot canyon. Have to scramble a little to get down to the trail but it’s pretty easy.

After walking through the slot, nice little
trail continues to a view of Fonts Point from the reverse and some miniature wind caves.

Good hike for summer as a lot of it is shaded.

Great little hike! We did it in reverse which I recommend!

This was a really cool short and easy trail. It had some really nice geological features. Some parts of the slots gets really tight. We had started our hike a little later in the day, but the weather was awesome and the 2nd half of the trail was all shaded. Since the trail is a loop we decided to start the trail from heading West (if facing the slots head left) from the parking. It'll take you through a dirt road (4wd vehicle use this trail too) until you finally hit a steep hill. Go down the hill to the right and head towards the slots. There is a faster option of getting to the slots which is starting at the end and either doing the loop in that direction or turning around at the end of the slots and head back the same way you came in. If you decide to start in reverse remember they're is that steep hill with loose sand you'll have to go up. We found it most rewarding doing it the way we did. But we ran into other hikers that did it in reverse.

it was a lot of fun, but not a year round trail. I'd definitely avoid this place in the summer. the description saying it's shaded and cool is inaccurate; most of the trail,even inside the canyon, is in the full brunt of the sun.

The trail starts out on sandstone hills, then declines gradually into the slot canyon. once inside, the trail is extremely narrow. I could barely fit through with my day pack on. my husband wouldn't be able to fit through most of the trail as he's a big guy, and I was scraping my legs and arms on the walls as I passed.

Fortunately, the views inside the canyon make it totally worth it. It was even worth the heat! Would be a beautiful hike in the winter or spring, when the sun isn't so hot.

Go early in the morning if you can to avoid the high heat. It is a fairly easy hike. The areas through the slot are not very big. Bring lots of water and sunscreen. 4WD is not required to get to the trailhead parking lot, but not sure I would recommend going with a low ground clearance car.

If your in the area you must stop and see the slot. It’s so amazing. Easy to get to from the 78. No 4wd needed.

the slot trail was easy and down a dirt road so passing in a car is impossible, there is another dirt road path that starts on the other side of the slots. We encountered a few other groups in the slots but only 2 once out of them. the slots themselves are fun for the family and windcaves can be found about half a mile past that.

Wife and kids loved this place. Easy access

Awesome and easy. Kids loved it. Lots of shade for a hot day. I wish the trail that looped back over the butte was more clearly sign posted. We ended up just turning around and going back through the slot.

After finishing the Palm Canyon hike we drove over to the slot. The entrance from the highway is small and the road to the parking lot is sand packed one-way track with turn outs. We (3 adults and 3 kids (9-11 years old) did this easy hike and it was fantastic. Warning: there are some areas where it is more suited for slender body types and wearing a backpack (even a small one) can be a little tight. It's a nice short hike and pretty relaxed. We did this at the end of the day and by the time we came up we caught the sunset

Walked the Slot in February and found it to by a nice hike with interesting scenery in the canyon with narrow as well as wide walled areas. We did not know it looped and did not have our AllTrails app so our hike was short, but it was nice. I wore a pack on this one, and some spots can be tight to squeeze through with a pack.

Great little trail. Getting in at the trail head might be tough for those that require a cane to walk, it gets pretty skinny at times but awesome fun. The trail can go much farther than is listed if you want to.

Pay attention to trail markers so you don’t miss your exits.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

We did it! Despite my son being convinced we were going to die in the desert (eye roll). He's 11 and dramatic. My 8-year-old girl loved it. The walked through the slot until it opened up and then turned back to go through it again.

I highly recommend stopping by the Anza Borrego State Park Visitor's center to get more information on the area and peace of mind when checking on the road and wash conditions, especially if you aren't driving a 4WD.

This is a short hike, a few steps down over rocks. I did see Seniors (one 80+) doing the trail. People of all ages, shapes, and sizes were hiking this trail seemingly without a problem. The only hindrance would be if you needed a cane or something to assist with walking. Otherwise, you're good to go. Bring water, as always. But this was SO awesome because a lot of it was in the shade and there was a nice breeze.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Certainly a must see..short but spectacular hike! This is a good one for kids/family in my opinion. Trail head can be difficult to find.

Monday, January 22, 2018

Stunning! So much better than I thought it would be! Glad there weren't many people when I hiked it because some spaces get tight. Not sure why the description here says it's un maintained. It looked very well maintained when we hiked it.