The Riser to Kaiser

The Riser to Kaiser is a 9.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lakeshore, California that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Killer hike, and I mean killer as in awesome and killer as in the last half mile to the summit almost killed me. There are many amazing views throughout. Take your time and make sure you stop and enjoy Gods amazing creation along the way! Hiking poles or a good stick highly recommended. I left mine at the trailhead; it’s all yours. BTW, the .6 mile road off of 168 that leads to the trailhead has signs saying private road and no trespassing. The road is owned by the packing station but it’s government property. You can indeed drive up that road and park just before the trailhead.

Beautiful hike with many great views along the way and wildflowers toward the top. The view at the top can’t be beat. The top has 360 degree views. As someone who doesn’t hike a lot, this was difficult but definitely doable. The last .3 mile to the top was brutal, but so worth it.

Stupid name for a great hike. If you're talking to locals, don't bother, just say you are going to Kaiser Peak.

This hike is definitely a butt kicker! A lot of up up up with very little respite. The hike itself seemed more mental to me as, to be honest, it’s a little boring on the way up. No views or stunning beauty to distract you until you reach the top! But the top? An AMAZING 360 view of the lakes, mammoth mountain, etc. Great hike for technical and elevation practice.

Beautiful hike!

Beautiful trail. Very cold in February but still runable due to lack of snow! 4 hrs to summit and return with snow on top. Can't wait to return in summer!

steeeep lol but take your time and you should be fine. the first 1/3 is tough but the views throughout are amazing. huntington lake and the snowy mountains in the back, reminds you that its well worth the hike.

A very difficult hike but is well worth the trip. Be sure to bring more than just a snack when you do this hike and bring a lot of water. This trail is very easy to get lost on so I do not recommend it in the winter when there is snow.

Fun hike with great views!

Nice trail!!! Great views of the lakes and surrounding areas at the peak! Take plenty of water, trekking poles, a light jacket and a wide brim hat. It's not a walk in the park but the journey and destination are worth it! The first and last miles are butt-kickers. Park then walk to the packing station to start the trail. I went on Labor Day weekend and was able to reach the top because the snow's gone now. In June I'd been here but had to turn back halfway because the snow covered and hid the trail. Awesome hike overall! I'll be back.

Hiked Saturday 8/26 from Billy Creek campground about 14 miles. Weather could not have been more perfect. Fabulous day hike.

Worth the hike!

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Got lost looking for the Twin Lakes trail and was directed by locals to start at the D&F pack station. The locals were not wrong, this can just be a longer way to Twin Lakes. We decided to try Kaiser Peak/College Rock. The views were beautiful. Huntington Lake looks so long from high on the mountain. There are small creeks and wild flowers, lots of lovely scenery to be taken in. Occasionly for the first mile or so, groups of people on horseback would pass by from the nearby pack station. We did not get to summit. My friends were champs and did great on this trail. I felt hangover symptoms, mistook them for possibly dehydration, drank lots of water and continued on, very slowly and with lots of rest periods. This was likely an altitude issue. I did not have an appreciation for altitude that we would quickly gain. This trail felt more difficult than the Half Dome trail to me, I actually cannot recall tolerating a trail so poorly before. Maybe camping at Huntington to get acclimated to the altitude would have been a wiser decision prior taking on Kaiser. I felt that it was worth the scenery and the experience.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Actually started at the west end of Huntington and went to Nellie Lake first. Then went to the summit. Hid a package and descended at the saddle that overlooks George lake (that is a dangerous descent btw). Followed the trail past upper and lower twin lakes. Got back to Huntington on the Kaiser Loop Trail. Ended the trip with a stop for some whiskey at the saloon in town. Went swimming in Nellie and George lakes.

Monday, November 28, 2016

This is definitely not a beginner hike due to the majority of the trail being uphill. I did this hike on Black Friday Nov 25th 2016. There was snow on more than half of the trail and the high was 38 degrees. It took me a little over 4 hours to get to the top and about 3 hours to descend. I am a beginner, but I was also determined. I'd recommend starting at dawn or doing an overnight somewhere on the loop. Part of my hustle back and forth was I did this solo and I did not want to be on the trail after dark. Started at 9:30am and got back to my vehicle just a few meters from the trailhead at 5:20pm... I'm ready to do this hike again but probably in the spring or summer.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

The majority of this hike is uphill.
It's pretty strenuous once you get closer to the peak.
Make sure you carry a lot of water and snacks or lunch.
The hike starts up hill and pretty much inclines the way up. There are some flat parts however not many.
I would recommend if you are ready for an all day hike to do this. This took us about 6 1/2 hours and we did jog certain portions down the hill and took a few short cuts.
The view was definitely worth it!

Saturday, July 16, 2016

It was a great challenge on the way up. I needed every drop of water that I brought. After hiking 6 miles up to the top of Kaiser Peak we were stunned by the amazing view and how far we could see. There was great visibility that day. We saw the backside of Yosemite to the north. We were surrounded by lakes. Edison and bass lake were visible and obviously Huntington lake. There were many unnamed lakes as well. To the west we could see the coastal range and I'm certain that far in the distance to the east was Mt Whitney. Round trip was 12 miles which is little longer than this all trails app shows so I think if you want to get to the top be prepared to go a little further!

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Great - vertical was tough. but not super steep. View at peak was very good. Did Kaiser peak to Nellie Lake Trail and came back to lake at Billy Creek. 14 miles. Beautiful high meadows on the way to junction to Nellie Lake and beautiful high country to Kaiser Peak. Trail was good. snow has melted now. Only a couple spots where there is snow on the trail.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

It was good, however was lost 60% of the time do to bad marking, so we did a little rock climbing for sure. Snow was still heavy up there, but we made it back on track. Beautiful views on the way up!

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Attempted this trail with my dog today. We got about halfway up before losing the trail due to snow coverage. A little disappointed because the hike had been great up until then. Lots of awesome views. Definitely planning to come back when the snow melts this summer.

Sunday, October 04, 2015

Parking right before the stables of D&F Packing station, trail starts behind the stables. Amazing hike! Easy to follow, well kept trail, full of switch backs and beautiful views overlooking Huntington Lake and then Edison Lake and the Sierras once you make it to the top. Did this trail end of September, perfect weather, cool at the top. The elevation (10,320 feet at the peak) started to get to me towards the end, but pushed through. Parts are strenuous, but a mix of flat and steep. Only passed 2 other people on the trail, but can tell its used with the horses.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Awesome views!

Monday, July 20, 2015

Incredible hike with an amazing panoramic view at the top. Great workout as well. It's pretty much uphill all the way, but the climb is well worth the views.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Great hike. Did it in mid June with my dad and my brother. We wanted to catch the sunrise over the Sierras, so we started hiking at 1:30 AM. There was some snow still on the ground, and at one point the trail actually turned into a small river from the snow melt, but we managed to eventually find the trail after some searching in the dark. We made it to the top at around 5, just as some light started to creep across the sky, and watched the sunrise for about an hour on the peak. We hit College Rock on the way back down, which offered an excellent view of Huntington Lake. Of course, coming down with the light was a lot easier than going up in the dark, but the view at the top was very worth it.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Just did this hike yesterday (April 19, 2014). There were snowy conditions above 9000ft but still crazy to think this could be summited in Mid-April. The trail was covered in spots with thicker tree coverage but luckily its pretty easy to figure out the direction you should be headed. The upper ridge had some amazing views of Edison lake and the higher sierras to the east.

Tuesday, January 07, 2014

This was a great hike that I did with my wife and daughter. I carried my daughter on my back, and we did this right before climbing Whitney. Great views, take plenty of water and snacks. About 7.5 hrs total with breaks and eating.

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Easy hike really, went with my daughter Aug 14th. There were fires to the north so we watched those for a while and then hiked back. Quick in and out about 6 hrs with about 1.5 to 2 hrs of watching.

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Strenuous on the way up, the return trip is much easier. I didn't read that part about "recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen."

Friday, October 07, 2011

This is a realy good workout. On the way to the top you get several nice views of huntington lake once at the top you get a nice view of another lake far off in the distence as well as three little ones right below you on the backside of Kaiser Peak.