The Riser to Kaiser

The Riser to Kaiser is a 9.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lakeshore, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Fun hike with great views!

Nice trail!!! Great views of the lakes and surrounding areas at the peak! Take plenty of water, trekking poles, a light jacket and a wide brim hat. It's not a walk in the park but the journey and destination are worth it! The first and last miles are butt-kickers. Park then walk to the packing station to start the trail. I went on Labor Day weekend and was able to reach the top because the snow's gone now. In June I'd been here but had to turn back halfway because the snow covered and hid the trail. Awesome hike overall! I'll be back.

Hiked Saturday 8/26 from Billy Creek campground about 14 miles. Weather could not have been more perfect. Fabulous day hike.

Worth the hike!

Got lost looking for the Twin Lakes trail and was directed by locals to start at the D&F pack station. The locals were not wrong, this can just be a longer way to Twin Lakes. We decided to try Kaiser Peak/College Rock. The views were beautiful. Huntington Lake looks so long from high on the mountain. There are small creeks and wild flowers, lots of lovely scenery to be taken in. Occasionly for the first mile or so, groups of people on horseback would pass by from the nearby pack station. We did not get to summit. My friends were champs and did great on this trail. I felt hangover symptoms, mistook them for possibly dehydration, drank lots of water and continued on, very slowly and with lots of rest periods. This was likely an altitude issue. I did not have an appreciation for altitude that we would quickly gain. This trail felt more difficult than the Half Dome trail to me, I actually cannot recall tolerating a trail so poorly before. Maybe camping at Huntington to get acclimated to the altitude would have been a wiser decision prior taking on Kaiser. I felt that it was worth the scenery and the experience.

Actually started at the west end of Huntington and went to Nellie Lake first. Then went to the summit. Hid a package and descended at the saddle that overlooks George lake (that is a dangerous descent btw). Followed the trail past upper and lower twin lakes. Got back to Huntington on the Kaiser Loop Trail. Ended the trip with a stop for some whiskey at the saloon in town. Went swimming in Nellie and George lakes.

This is definitely not a beginner hike due to the majority of the trail being uphill. I did this hike on Black Friday Nov 25th 2016. There was snow on more than half of the trail and the high was 38 degrees. It took me a little over 4 hours to get to the top and about 3 hours to descend. I am a beginner, but I was also determined. I'd recommend starting at dawn or doing an overnight somewhere on the loop. Part of my hustle back and forth was I did this solo and I did not want to be on the trail after dark. Started at 9:30am and got back to my vehicle just a few meters from the trailhead at 5:20pm... I'm ready to do this hike again but probably in the spring or summer.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Sunday, September 25, 2016

The majority of this hike is uphill.
It's pretty strenuous once you get closer to the peak.
Make sure you carry a lot of water and snacks or lunch.
The hike starts up hill and pretty much inclines the way up. There are some flat parts however not many.
I would recommend if you are ready for an all day hike to do this. This took us about 6 1/2 hours and we did jog certain portions down the hill and took a few short cuts.
The view was definitely worth it!