The Riser to Kaiser

The Riser to Kaiser is a 9.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lakeshore, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Got lost looking for the Twin Lakes trail and was directed by locals to start at the D&F pack station. The locals were not wrong, this can just be a longer way to Twin Lakes. We decided to try Kaiser Peak/College Rock. The views were beautiful. Huntington Lake looks so long from high on the mountain. There are small creeks and wild flowers, lots of lovely scenery to be taken in. Occasionly for the first mile or so, groups of people on horseback would pass by from the nearby pack station. We did not get to summit. My friends were champs and did great on this trail. I felt hangover symptoms, mistook them for possibly dehydration, drank lots of water and continued on, very slowly and with lots of rest periods. This was likely an altitude issue. I did not have an appreciation for altitude that we would quickly gain. This trail felt more difficult than the Half Dome trail to me, I actually cannot recall tolerating a trail so poorly before. Maybe camping at Huntington to get acclimated to the altitude would have been a wiser decision prior taking on Kaiser. I felt that it was worth the scenery and the experience.

Actually started at the west end of Huntington and went to Nellie Lake first. Then went to the summit. Hid a package and descended at the saddle that overlooks George lake (that is a dangerous descent btw). Followed the trail past upper and lower twin lakes. Got back to Huntington on the Kaiser Loop Trail. Ended the trip with a stop for some whiskey at the saloon in town. Went swimming in Nellie and George lakes.

This is definitely not a beginner hike due to the majority of the trail being uphill. I did this hike on Black Friday Nov 25th 2016. There was snow on more than half of the trail and the high was 38 degrees. It took me a little over 4 hours to get to the top and about 3 hours to descend. I am a beginner, but I was also determined. I'd recommend starting at dawn or doing an overnight somewhere on the loop. Part of my hustle back and forth was I did this solo and I did not want to be on the trail after dark. Started at 9:30am and got back to my vehicle just a few meters from the trailhead at 5:20pm... I'm ready to do this hike again but probably in the spring or summer.

The majority of this hike is uphill.
It's pretty strenuous once you get closer to the peak.
Make sure you carry a lot of water and snacks or lunch.
The hike starts up hill and pretty much inclines the way up. There are some flat parts however not many.
I would recommend if you are ready for an all day hike to do this. This took us about 6 1/2 hours and we did jog certain portions down the hill and took a few short cuts.
The view was definitely worth it!

Saturday, July 16, 2016

It was a great challenge on the way up. I needed every drop of water that I brought. After hiking 6 miles up to the top of Kaiser Peak we were stunned by the amazing view and how far we could see. There was great visibility that day. We saw the backside of Yosemite to the north. We were surrounded by lakes. Edison and bass lake were visible and obviously Huntington lake. There were many unnamed lakes as well. To the west we could see the coastal range and I'm certain that far in the distance to the east was Mt Whitney. Round trip was 12 miles which is little longer than this all trails app shows so I think if you want to get to the top be prepared to go a little further!

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Great - vertical was tough. but not super steep. View at peak was very good. Did Kaiser peak to Nellie Lake Trail and came back to lake at Billy Creek. 14 miles. Beautiful high meadows on the way to junction to Nellie Lake and beautiful high country to Kaiser Peak. Trail was good. snow has melted now. Only a couple spots where there is snow on the trail.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

It was good, however was lost 60% of the time do to bad marking, so we did a little rock climbing for sure. Snow was still heavy up there, but we made it back on track. Beautiful views on the way up!

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Attempted this trail with my dog today. We got about halfway up before losing the trail due to snow coverage. A little disappointed because the hike had been great up until then. Lots of awesome views. Definitely planning to come back when the snow melts this summer.

Sunday, October 04, 2015

Parking right before the stables of D&F Packing station, trail starts behind the stables. Amazing hike! Easy to follow, well kept trail, full of switch backs and beautiful views overlooking Huntington Lake and then Edison Lake and the Sierras once you make it to the top. Did this trail end of September, perfect weather, cool at the top. The elevation (10,320 feet at the peak) started to get to me towards the end, but pushed through. Parts are strenuous, but a mix of flat and steep. Only passed 2 other people on the trail, but can tell its used with the horses.