The P Trail

The P Trail is a 1.8 mile loop trail located near San Marcos, California. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and trail running.

You can see the P when you're driving down the 78. Well I've been looking at that P for all my life and had never once thought about climbing up the hill to reach it until two years ago. It's not a super hard climb and the top has great views. There's even some more trails on the other side.

I came here to get some exercise and run up the trail. It's a steep incline at first! Once you get on the dirt path, it becomes easier. There is some loose gravel & rocks so bring some supportive running shoes if you plan to run it. The main path is anywhere between 8-10 ft wide, so you can't miss it, but there are some other smaller paths that break off the main. Once at the top, there are some great views out to the ocean. You can also continue on some smaller trails down the other side of the mountain. When I was here, a Friday afternoon, there as no one else around, so it was a nice quiet run. It was just over 2 miles round trip, but I did do a little extra exploring when I got to the top.

Great hike to watch the sunset

Starred this hike at the end of the cul de sac off Bel Espirit Circle. Be prepared for an immediate steep incline for about 10 minutes. Really gets the heart beating. After that fairly easy hike. Has several little side paths to take so stay on the wider paths. Took my wife and me about 40 minutes. Although we watched the great sunrise at 7am. It was a hot day, so bring water. Great views to the east and west at the top. Enjoy!!

good trail a good hills, i see lot of trash at the summit , beer cans and so, it is short but have a lot of side routes to explore

Thursday, May 04, 2017

I came upon this trail from the other side from the Abejo Loop. Its a great short trail with a great incline and really makes you feel it. Good for all levels of hikers. No shade so make sure you bring sunscreen, water and hats. I couldn't find a specific trail to the P itself but I was able to see it from below. Also beware of mountain bikers as they also like to use these trails.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Great incline! There were a couple parts of the trail my daughter needed help with but we made it up together just fine! once you reach the top the view is awesome!

Sunday, September 25, 2016

I have made several hikes up here, the first being in 1993. Usually I start from the parking lot at Palomar College. The most recent hike was from there and I went to the summit and came down the trail to this trailhead, in search of some of the geocaches that are found there.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Great hike! A steady incline with all kinds of paths off the main one if you're feeling adventurous. 360 view at the top with roaring wind. Would suggest to anyone looking for a good workout and a good time to match

Friday, April 29, 2016

Path wraps around the mountain with great views in all directions. Numerous paths to other hills and areas that look worthwhile if you want to do some exploring. Some junk and trash on the trail as mentioned, but nothing major.

Tuesday, February 09, 2016

The trail was super short. Great incline. Lots of mountain biking trails on the top. View was nice. However, there was lots of trash on top. Overall, I wouldn't go there again unless I lived close enough to walk there.

Friday, February 27, 2015

This trail was short but it was really tough. It gave both me and my two girls a real workout. I would suggest not bringing kids up this one because it makes it real difficult. View was awesome though and it was worth it.

Saturday, April 01, 2017