The Needles Trail

The Needles Trail is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Springville, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Quaking Aspen: Travel south to FS 21S05 then travel west to the trailhead.

I just hiked this trail today. It was a tough hike for me since I didn't prepare so it was an uphill battle for me. I took my time and made it. The view was beautiful.

Good hike but be forewarned the staircase is closed! And you can't get around it easily at all (would take some advanced rock climbing). Still a beautiful hike though. Only 2.5 miles from the trailhead

Great hike with lots of shade. If you drive about 3 miles in on the dirt path and start at the trail head it is just over 4 miles hiking. We went on a Friday in July during tower "open hours" but the gate was locked at the 2nd flight of stairs which was disappointing. 2 dogs and 10 yo daughter did ok. It's a lot of up hill on way to peak. bring water for dogs and be careful of all the bumble bees.

Hiked this yesterday. I was a bit confused at the overall length of the hike. Most sources I referenced list the trailhead about 3 miles up the dirt road (21S05) from HWY 190. AllTrails marks the trailhead starting right off the highway. I drove up the 21S05 in my Impreza for about a mile before I turned around and parked in a small clearing about 100-250 feet from the highway.

There is indeed a trailhead, outhouse and a campsite about 3 miles up the road. My Impreza probably could have made it but I had a very satisfying 10 mile round trip hike to the lookout, so no regrets. I started around 10:30 and only had two vehicles (who were on their way to the trailhead) pass me on my trek up the road.

It was a good hike got out there early and had the place to myself. There were a few small trees that had fallen on the path but nothing major. Great view point.

One of my favorite hikes to date; the precariously perched, burned down lookout tower is amazingly surreal. Someone had unhinged the locked gate (didn't notice until on the way back down), so I had no idea it was closed. It wasn't until I got closer, climbing the stairs and stepping on some rotted boards, that I realized the tower wasn't there. My friend eventually caught up and was like, "Oh, yeah. Forgot to mention it burned down." If I had known it was off-limits I would have stayed away. It is not kept it very good repair and therefore a bit dangerous. Kinda glad I didn't notice though. Have fun and be safe!

awesome trail

my first real trail hike in Cali I wasn't has prepared as I would have liked and was trying a new pack. need to do it again under better circumstances but it was still a great time.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

beautiful views and amazing trip for a family outing.

Sunday, July 03, 2016