The Needles Trail

The Needles Trail is a 9.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Springville, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Quaking Aspen: Travel south to FS 21S05 then travel west to the trailhead.

It was a good hike got out there early and had the place to myself. There were a few small trees that had fallen on the path but nothing major. Great view point.

One of my favorite hikes to date; the precariously perched, burned down lookout tower is amazingly surreal. Someone had unhinged the locked gate (didn't notice until on the way back down), so I had no idea it was closed. It wasn't until I got closer, climbing the stairs and stepping on some rotted boards, that I realized the tower wasn't there. My friend eventually caught up and was like, "Oh, yeah. Forgot to mention it burned down." If I had known it was off-limits I would have stayed away. It is not kept it very good repair and therefore a bit dangerous. Kinda glad I didn't notice though. Have fun and be safe!

awesome trail

my first real trail hike in Cali I wasn't has prepared as I would have liked and was trying a new pack. need to do it again under better circumstances but it was still a great time.

beautiful views and amazing trip for a family outing.

I loved this trail amazing views I nicknamed it "Stairway to Heaven". Take plenty of water there is no resources on the trail and most definitely some form of big repellent they will eat you alive. I have been hiking a lot and by far this was one of my favorites.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Monday, June 06, 2016

Easy 5ish mile hike.

Dirt road to trailhead June 2016 - good condition, my Prius did fine.

Trail itself was great, gorgeous views once you get to the staircases mentioned by others. Will visit again!

Thursday, April 21, 2016

fun trail that leads to a great view

Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Gorgeous views but the stairs are not for the weak at heart or stomach. If you fear heights be cautious as you climb the not so well kept stair case as you may find yourself panicking half way through your stairway to heaven. Views are impressive but the lack of a kept staircase earns this hike a 4 star rating. As a side note i have looked into if the staircase and lookout will be rebuilt and there is currently money being raised to rebuild the lookout. This project is supposed to take place in 2015 depending on funds. Currently i read they are at 30k out of 50k needed to rebuild

Monday, September 07, 2015

Just hiked this about a day ago and the view is gorgous! Unfortunately, the lookout burned down recently and so you can only walk the sketchy stairs up to the notorious last step and look out over the canyon. Overall though, it was a great hike! If you are hiking close to sun set, make sure to bundle up or the wind will really give you a chill.

Monday, August 10, 2015

Monday, June 15, 2015

Enjoyed this hike to get out of the valley heat! Those stairs are sketchy but nice views!

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

This is one of my favorite California excursions. I wish the tower was back, I miss Margie and her cookies. I have climbed the rock face of this tower many times, using the trail for access. One of the gems of the Southern Sierra. Great views, great hike.