Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

The Luge: Santiago Truck Trail Loop

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(84)
Lake Forest, California

The Luge: Santiago Truck Trail Loop is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lake Forest, California that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,351 feet Route Type: Loop

More for mountain biking. Great view. Uneven paths. More on the difficult side.

Great trail, beautiful views but you do have to walk along the road for 3 miles and watch out for mountain bikers! Lots on there!

Great trail. Saw 2 rattlesnakes and fantastic views from the top by the flagpole. Highly recommend! Open at the moment as well which is a solid bonus.

Awesome hike...very popular mountain biking trail so be cautious, but super fun to hike! Gradual incline to the flagpole. Parked in a residential area and did a loop!! Heard one rattlesnake!!! Actual mileage was 7.8 miles but my Alltrails shut off for a bit and recorded 6.6 miles.

Had a blast here today. First time back on a mountain bike in 5 years. Trail is a little over grown thanks to all the recent rains and made the downhill a little sketchy for my first time on this trail.

This is an amazing hike. We did the full trail and we kept a steady pace and it was about two hours and forty five minutes. It’s a decent incline nothing too overwhelming. This is mountain lion country so I would recommend coming with a partner just for safety. Other than that it’s an awesome workout and a beautiful trail. Also wear appropriate shoes with good tread and ankle support because if you go clockwise the mountain decline picks up and forces you to go at a faster pace.

I’m glad this trail is open. I had sooo much fun.

private property

Loved this hike!! I wanted to give this 5 stars the only reason I did not was because 3 miles of the hike was on major busy roads. We parked down by cooks kitchen and went clockwise. But to start the hike you have to walk at least* a mile uphill to get to the trail head. And if you do the full “loop” it spits you out on the road. And you’re walking 2 miles on this busy road back to your car. Wish there was a way to make the a full loop on an actual trail head instead of a road. But I guess that’s because of private property. Still a great hike and was worth the 3 miles spent on a road lol

I love this trail, I’m glad to be back again..

Great hike with beautiful views at the top. Walking along the road wasn't the dangerous part, but walking up the luge was. Mountain bikers are coming down fast, the trail is narrow, and you can't see them coming in many places. We did this trail counter clockwise so we are facing the traffic along the street and the bikes coming down the luge.

Second time up this trail. Includes about 3 miles of street walking total along busy Santiago canyon am dkive oak canyon at beginning and end of hike. But that doesn't take away from what a tad hike this is. Parking is free at either cooks corner or along the canyon (be mindful of no parking signs) there are some sections you cannot park along. I suggest clockwise for this hike. It is mostly used by mtn bikers so beware. There are a lot of them. But they get ve notice when possible and everyone shares the trail just fine. I suggest this hike early am. There is no shade. All exposed and bring at least 2L of water. Would suggest for families. Kids 12+. First part of trail is service road, up steady incline to single track till about the flag. After the flag is very narrow and steep decline that mtn bikers love to haul ass on. I don't blame em. Looks so fun. Good work out. Great for beginners too.

Great ride up and down, I believe they have done some smoothing out on the DH run, seems much easier than black diamond, should be rated intermediate. Nonetheless, it is a fun ride altogether.

We parked at Cook's Corner (corner of Live oak canyon road and E. Santiago canyon road) and we started the hike clockwise. There is some road walking for a mile or so to get to th and there may be (on a non busy day) parking closer to actual th but then when you complete the loop, the walking portion in the bike lane is much longer. As the day wears on, this road is extremely busy and unsafe. I suggest parking at cooks corner and starting early and minimizing the amount of miles/time necessary on the road portion Parking is free at cooks corner. There is a lot of it, unless you go on a weekend. The trail itself is a service road for most of the first half. If you start clockwise like we did, the incline is gradual and relaxing to the flag. On the other side, descending it is much steeper and single track and you may encounter (as we did, a few mountain bikers) tough portion to share the trail as it is very thin, but doable with proper communication from bikers hauling ass downhill towards you. I felt safe and would do this hike alone. There are some pretty views of santiago canyon as you climb and you can see for miles in many directions once at the flag. This is a gem of a hike and I will probably add this to my monthly go-to's.

With Charlotte and Milo. Lots of bikers and hikers out today. Everyone loved seeing Milo. Charlotte had fun. Sunny & 67°

The trail as marked on the website is rather dangerous. As others have noted, you walk on the side of a very busy street for about 3 miles in total. At times in the bike lane, at times on gravel on the side of the road, next to a ditch with beer cans and old shoes. I would not do this again. That said the trail itself is quite beautiful. The west ascent is low-key with views of the valley, but the east decent is plagued by mountain bikers, who barrel down at max speed on an extremely narrow trail, many without bells or horns. Hiker beware!

First official hike with my new dog, Milo. He did great! The worst part is walking from Santiago Canyon Road to the trail head on Majeska Grade Road. It’s about a half a mile from the car to the gate. Look out for sea shell fossils. This trail has a nice view of the houses in Modjeska Canyon below. 72° I left my GPS recording while I drove .6 miles down the road. Oops.

Experience hiking on Canyon Rd to trail head - Got caught in a cars side-draft hiking to trail head which was way too scary for me. Turned around while I was still alive. If you don’t mind hiking on a BUSY FAST street to the trail head this is for you. I suggest beginning at end of hike and hike to Canyon Rd then retrace trail back. Making this an “in and out” hike not a loop. I will return and try my suggestion. Park at Cooks Corner. Plenty of parking during week.

Fri May 17 2019

Great trail!, amazing views You have to park by Cook’s Corner and walk up. It was more like 8.7 miles. A lot of bikers

Sat May 04 2019

A little rocky for running in some parts. Bring your padded trail runners. I ran in barefoot Merrill’s and was hurting a bit by the end. Also, go early. Ton of mountain bikers flying down on a narrow trail = sketchy. I went at dawn and virtually had the trail to myself.

Sat Apr 20 2019

A lot of fox tails. Watch out for your dogs.

Sun Apr 14 2019

Trail is really beautiful especially with this year’s super blooms. Most of the trail users are mountain bikers but they pleasantly share the trail with hikers. It’s rated as difficult for hiking and mountain biking but fun. Thanks to the gentleman who gave safety tips on sharing the puke trail with hikers. And to the Pinoy mountain bikers, it was nice talking to you all.

Mon Apr 01 2019

This is a SoCal classic, but be careful and take it very slow your first time unless you’re an expert. Terrain can be difficult, and there are a few steep rocky parts where you drop off a rock. I believe this trail should be marked difficult for mountain biking.

Sat Feb 09 2019

Wed Jul 18 2018

Fun trail, I would like to hike it again soon.