The Goat Trails [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

The Goat Trails [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Palm Springs, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

private property

PLEASE NOTE: this trail is private property and trespassing is not allowed. The Goat Trails are surrounded by many adjacent and connecting trails, including Araby, Garstin, Berns, Wildhorse, Clara Burgess, and Dunn Road. The trails allow access to Bob Hope Overlook, Murray Peak, Cathedral Cove, and the Dunn Road route to Santa Rosa Mountain.

Nice trail with a little vertical challenge but nothing extreme. Good views and a nice intro into PS area hiking.

Went during the early morning in August. Was told to bring lots of water...i brought way too much water. It was a nice workout, but nothing spectacular.

We thought this would be a simple hike along a dirt road but found several off shoot trails that took us further into the mountain including a deep canyon. Our most enjoyable hike of the trip. Take lots of water and of course morning is best!

Always enjoyable. Some steep bits, but worth the effort. Very well-trafficked and sociable.

Lots of trails, great hike!

Parked in a dirt lot near Vons off of palm hills I believe. 3.3 mile loop and 70% was moderate to intense uphill hiking. Worth the effort for the rad views of the city and mountains. I wouldn't recommend this in the summer as there is zero shade. Took two humans and a small dog about 1 hour 45 minutes to complete with lots of stops for taking photos.

Friday, November 11, 2016

I have enjoyed biking in this mixture of double- and single-track trails for over 15 years.

I am writing a proposal to the Trails Management Subcommittee of the Coachella Valley Association of Governments, which advocates for authorizing the use of the Goat Trails. One private owner, a corporation, is based in Chicago Illinois. I have sent a letter of inquiry to them, requesting their assistance in allowing access by hikers and bikers. I have also contacted the Palm Springs planning department to authorize access and trail management activities for the portion of the Goat Trails that are in the city's "Palm Hills subdivision." Another owner is the Bureau of Land Management (the southwestern 2/3 of the trail), who has deferred to the Trails Management Subcommittee and is unofficially supportive of open access to the trails for hiking and mountain biking. A very small portion of the trail system may cross tribal land, owned by the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians—however, a land survey would need to be conducted to ascertain the exact location of the tribal land, which is adjacent to the privately-owned (corporate) land.

I have also organized an informal club on Strava, the Goat Trails Maintenance Team to perform trash pickup and some minor earth moving to prevent rutting and ravining from runoff. Once the proposal is accepted, the club will be involved in making the existing trails sustainable.

Please visit and join the club if you have interest in using the trails frequently. (https://www.strava.com/clubs/Goat-Trails-Maintenance)

Friday, November 11, 2016

luv this trail. do it 5 days a week. great workout.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Good hike and work out, nice views, dog friendly

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

very challenging but wide trail hike great scenery when you reach higher elevation great views of the valley. it was not a marked trail head but its behind Vons gas station easy parking right at the gate. when you get to the end of the trail there are so many options to continue on. you can be there for days. this and bump and grind are my favorites.

Thursday, May 05, 2016

We took a short hike up the trail above the water towers. Not sure why it says [closed], there was a steady stream of walkers, and no transients.

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

awesome Trail

Sunday, January 03, 2016

Didn't enjoy The Goat Trails. Almost from the start of my hike there were multiple homeless tweekers milling around, high on meth, yelling and making inane comments to each other and the women hikers. I even was followed for awhile which really scared me because I'm an older female who hikes alone. I had heard that many homeless druggies hang around on this trail system and it proved to be true....at least it was the day I was there. And I just wasn't inspired by these trails. I didn't like the layout; the system from the start seemed disjointed to me. But it is a marginally popular trail system, so to each his or her own as they say.

Monday, December 14, 2015

Not for beginners, your either going up or down and we're talking up to 19 degrees inclines and declines..

Saturday, November 07, 2015

So if you follow my track you will see that i went into an interesting canyon and then came out. The exit point of my hike was a problem, I had to jump a fence as this was on Indian land so I would recommend returning to the start point instead of trying my exit point. pictures are included in my track , good views of the valley. not a difficult hike.

Wednesday, September 02, 2015

I entered from Gene Autry and hwy 111. It's mostly uphill for the first mile or so. I found it to be to strenuous to pedal and found myself mostly pushing my bike. There are beautiful views however and the downhill single tracks are a lot of fun until you hit another steep incline.

My adventure ended up at Desert Regional Medical Center. A passing hiker saw I was unconscious and bleeding out. Be careful on the downhills!

Monday, August 03, 2015

awesome ride I recommend this if you have a good bike and it's in the cooler weather

Friday, June 05, 2015

I went on this hike with a friend this morning. This hike is all up hill if you go straight back avoiding loops. It's not hard to get lost the trail is well marked. There is a cool man made out of rocks to see. The views are nice. Knocking down a star because you might see a nude guy hiking and he is not shy

Thursday, December 18, 2014

The Goat Trails is a system of single-track spurs that lead off a fairly long double-track trail that rises from the Rimrock shopping center (Gene Autrey Trail at Highway 111). (The gate is always closed, but easily bypassed on foot or by bike.) A few other hiking trails rise to the Goat Trails from other locations, including near Southridge Drive and off Cherokee Way. The trails are popular with both hikers and cyclists. The trails are also connected to several other established hiking trails, including Araby, Garstin, Burgess, and (further) Dunn Road.

After several years of riding, several of the single-track are yet to be explored. Other bikers and the hikers, too, are friendly. For the most part, the area is well covered for cell phone use.

The Goat Trails are also the end section of the Palm Canyon Epic (http://www.mountainbikebill.com/PalmCanyon.htm).

For those who port their mountain bike to a location, there is ample parking at the east end of Rimrock Plaza. Though the parking is not patrolled, there is only very infrequent theft or vandalism.

Sunday, August 17, 2014

This trail could be a lot better if it did not have the homeless activity. They live all around the trail and leave trash. This trail seems not to be an official trail. It is not maintained by the city or any organization. I felt like I was trespassing. I did like hiking up the canyon.