The Cross Trail

The Cross Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Desert, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

One of the trails in Palm Desert. Open to all skill level. This trail Starts at the Homestead Link and connects to Hopalong Cassidy Trail where you'll pass the Cross hiking towards south.

15 minutes ago

A little steeper than easy, quick hike!

A must-do every time I return to the L desert. Great intro for first-time visitors, with a 'payday' in the form of the Cross.

Love this trail! Always our favorite at the desert. Well travelled, with lots of dogs!

This is a great hike to do when you have a short amount of time and want to get your exercise in. This trail is well used with lots of traffic and dogs. No one leashes their dog on this trail. Runners are not very courteous as we have encountered many who run right up behind you without saying anything expecting you to move over immediately. Otherwise we love this trail!

I've hiked this trail a few times with my wife. The trails are open from dusk till dawn. You definitely want to get there early morning or evening as the sun is unrelenting and there's no shade. It takes us about 30 minutes to get to the top, but it could be done much more quickly. I bring a bottle of water 17 oz, which is plenty for me. The view looking over Palm Desert with the cross in the background is pretty interesting.

This trail gave me trouble on my first try, not because of its difficulty but because I got totally overheated. This trail is well populated and folks of all ages use it. It is a nice hike to start your day, but I would caution about the heat on hot days, if you are sensitive to heat. My second time I did well, but there was a nice breeze. Early morning or evening is best during late spring and summer.

It's not an easy trail for beginners. It's a climb but worth the struggle. It took me two tries before I could finally reach the top. Now I hike it the times a week and I love it! I suggest hiking it at night with a flash light, so much fun.

*****not easy, it is moderate****** BEAUTIFUL Trail with wonderful views. We took my 84 year old great uncle who used to be a runner on it thinking it would be an easy low incline trail. Easy is definitely not the right word to describe it. It is moderate even for someone in shape. It is steep and rocky, sometimes hard to find footing(especially for someone in their 80s) recommend for a beautiful view and nice walk just wanted to make sure people know it is not a super easy trail! Would definitely go back.

Use to live in Palm Desert before I made this account.

Easy parking, dirt lot.
Good elevation gain.
Little to no shade.
Great views from the top.

Nice trail to bring your dog. Good elevation for a nice workout.

I would like to help get more people up to the top of this and others like it so they too can enjoy the fun down hill ride, maybe even a few times in one day. please help me. go to my link below thank you