The Cross Trail

The Cross Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Desert, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

One of the trails in Palm Desert. Open to all skill level. This trail Starts at the Homestead Link and connects to Hopalong Cassidy Trail where you'll pass the Cross hiking towards south.

We arrived on an in season Saturday late morning and there was plenty of parking in the lot. The first part of trail had a somewhat steep incline, but after that it was a winding incline to the cross. The trail had moderate hiking traffic with lots of friendly, but unleashed dogs. The trail is an up and back trail with beautiful views and ofcourse the Cross at the top! I would recommend and rate this as an easy to moderate trail due to the footing and incline. Happy hiking!

A good incline to start and steady to the cross.

Good hike, took the kids. We all had fun.

....a little harder than the easy rating! Great views.

Great hiking!

Did this hike on Thanksgiving with my sister-n-law
The views are amazing and people were so friendly! It’s an easy hike but it’s a constant incline.

short, moderate, dog friendly trail with great views, great company, and spiritual significance

A lot of foot traffic and dogs

A little steeper than easy, quick hike!

A must-do every time I return to the L desert. Great intro for first-time visitors, with a 'payday' in the form of the Cross.

Love this trail! Always our favorite at the desert. Well travelled, with lots of dogs!

This is a great hike to do when you have a short amount of time and want to get your exercise in. This trail is well used with lots of traffic and dogs. No one leashes their dog on this trail. Runners are not very courteous as we have encountered many who run right up behind you without saying anything expecting you to move over immediately. Otherwise we love this trail!

I've hiked this trail a few times with my wife. The trails are open from dusk till dawn. You definitely want to get there early morning or evening as the sun is unrelenting and there's no shade. It takes us about 30 minutes to get to the top, but it could be done much more quickly. I bring a bottle of water 17 oz, which is plenty for me. The view looking over Palm Desert with the cross in the background is pretty interesting.

This trail gave me trouble on my first try, not because of its difficulty but because I got totally overheated. This trail is well populated and folks of all ages use it. It is a nice hike to start your day, but I would caution about the heat on hot days, if you are sensitive to heat. My second time I did well, but there was a nice breeze. Early morning or evening is best during late spring and summer.

It's not an easy trail for beginners. It's a climb but worth the struggle. It took me two tries before I could finally reach the top. Now I hike it the times a week and I love it! I suggest hiking it at night with a flash light, so much fun.

*****not easy, it is moderate****** BEAUTIFUL Trail with wonderful views. We took my 84 year old great uncle who used to be a runner on it thinking it would be an easy low incline trail. Easy is definitely not the right word to describe it. It is moderate even for someone in shape. It is steep and rocky, sometimes hard to find footing(especially for someone in their 80s) recommend for a beautiful view and nice walk just wanted to make sure people know it is not a super easy trail! Would definitely go back.

Use to live in Palm Desert before I made this account.

Easy parking, dirt lot.
Good elevation gain.
Little to no shade.
Great views from the top.

Nice trail to bring your dog. Good elevation for a nice workout.

I would like to help get more people up to the top of this and others like it so they too can enjoy the fun down hill ride, maybe even a few times in one day. please help me. go to my link below thank you

Very easy trail and fun with dogs!