The Cool to Canyon Loop Trail

The Cool to Canyon Loop Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cool, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,059 feet Route Type: Loop

First time hiking here two weeks ago. Fair amount of horse back riders. Beautiful trail!

The first half (going counterclockwise) is absolutely breathtaking and very easy. When you turn back to head up the mountain, it is definitely a work out. Once you get to the top though, you have amazing views ! Definitely would go back.

it was great workout!

Great hike! My group hiked this cool and had lunch at the pizza shop before heading back to auburn. There were a lot of mosquitos in certain areas, but the views were great! A lot of different terrain to see. It’s incline pretty much the whole way up and easier on the way back.

Great workout. Loop from cool. But not when you’re doing a clockwise route. Downhill is too steep at parts. especially when it’s wet and slippery. Hard on the knees and have to go cautiously slow. Went with a friend and we took a little longer than anticipated. But due to the elevation change, still a good workout. Overall beautiful and fun trail! Will do again, but counter-clockwise next time.

I regularly do this hike but starting on the other end and leading to Cool. Always fun to eat there before heading back.

Wednesday, September 05, 2018

go up training hill and down states fir a great run. about half way up training hill you can take pig farm as a shortcut to states if it gets to be too much.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

We started at the bridge that crosses the American River and headed towards Cool. A little drizzly today with some fog but it made it kind of spooky cool. The trees that cover the trail kept us from getting more rained on. Got up to the parking area in Cool and took a little break and headed back down. Great trail!

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Long trail but very scenic. You get mountains, hills, valleys, streams. You can start at cool or auburn rec bridge . Overall its a good long hike. Happy trails!

Sunday, September 17, 2017

When I hike I have three things that make a good hike. A well marked trail, I don't have to check my app every few minutes: 2. Scenery 3. Something that makes it memorable, difficulty, Terrain, the people you meet. The hike was rated hard, which means to me 2.0mph. I finished in 2 hours. If you do the whole loop, counterclockwise,it is not hard. there is a 30 minute hard section when you make the turn with 6 steep climbs lasting about 2 and a half minutes each, but that is it. The right side of the loop closest to the highway is a beautiful tree lined long downhill, gorgeous. When you come to the opening at the turn you can see the American river, then you make the turn and see training hill and like ok here we go. After 30 minutes you peak and start downhill again this time is a massive field. Sporadic trees her and there, in the spring it might be pretty but not the fall. This hike would have been much better as an out an back on the freeway side of the loop. Beautiful moss filled trees lining the trail on the out and wow I got a great workout on the way back.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

This should be rated as difficult since it includes training hill. We took a wrong turn at Olmstead loop and went right instead of left. Beautiful walk through the fields and wildflowers. You could smell the flowers. Past by a small lake. This trail merged with the o e we started on. Thank godsend for this awesome app.

Monday, May 01, 2017

Cool trail - more so for horses rather than walking / hiking. If you have a lot of time to kill, it's a great hike.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Actually called the Ohmstead loop trail. Nice hike with 3 small waterfalls. The hike is just off highway 49 make a right on Saint Florian Ct just before the firestation in Cool if coming from Auburn to park in the fee area. There is also a big parking lot just past the firestation if you do not want to pay to park. There is a good pizza place in that parking lot that is a great place to eat after the hike. The trail can be fairly muddy in spots. There is lots of shade on the hike but it does get sunny in some spots. Depending on which way you do the loop there is a 1 mile stretch that's either straight uphill or straight downhill. Other than that the hike is pretty mellow.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Wife and dog handled this easily. Very pretty, but runs along a freeway which can be heard for the majority of the hike. Biggest advice is to park in Cool, which will help you avoid the crowd. Also, the trail is very muddy, so expect to have your shoes caked up to the ankle.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Went on this trail last weekend. Easy to find. Really liked this trail. Great workout. Took the "pig trail shortcut". The sign says steep. It is! But still happy and proud we did it. Had a beautiful little waterfall. Lots of trees. Will come here again.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

One of our favorites!

Monday, January 30, 2017

i really enjoyed this hike. most of it was fairly easy, but we were led to this middle trail that was 1.4 miles basically going straight up, i enjoyed it but it was difficult, and I'm still not 100% sure if it was necessary to take that path or not.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

I've been on a few hikes up here, and so far, this one has been my favorite.. the reason why is because I love to explore off the beaten trail a bit, and there are some amazing things to discover here.. for instance,, there are some abandoned structures along the path that we were able to look at.. and going behind the house, there was a beautiful pond.. when I approached the pond I heard rushing water, so as I went to inspect,, there was indeed a waterfall. There are also some amazing rock formations that if you climb, give an amazing overview of the valley. By far one of the most rewarding trails to explore..

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Nice trail but some stretches too close to hwy 49. Beautiful day with nice amount of water flowing in the small creeks. Forgot our state parks pass so ended up contributing another $10 for parking--doh!

Sunday, February 14, 2016

We did a time hike. Gave ourselves 2 hours. Completed the hike in an hour and 39 min. Recommend starting from the canyon.

Friday, October 25, 2013

Great hike I've been hitting all the trails up here love them all. And there's a brewery across the street