The Medicine Buddha Loop Trail

The Medicine Buddha Loop Trail is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Soquel, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Note: Closed on Saturdays

Land of the Medicine Buddha gets Five stars. My experience today would get zero.

Nisene Marks and LOTMB are beautiful and serene. I have no negative comments about the park / retreat center itself.

I took my seven month old Labrador Retriever to Land of the Medicine Buddha today for the first time (his first time not mine) today. I thought it would be a nice serene place to take my dog as it’s a retreat area and surrounded by beautiful nature and Buddhist blessings.

Unfortunately an off leash dog attacked my dog. It pinned him on his back to the ground and bit has face chest and legs. I am going to have to take him to the vet as he has bled a lot and has open wounds.

Please people, if you bring your dog be responsible. We all want to enjoy the space in peace. Safety of others and your own is paramount. It was heartbreaking to hear his cries and see all the blood. My dog was leashed but I felt helpless at being able to get the dog off mine and because he was leashed he could not run away from the other dog. There are leash laws for a reason so please abide by them.

There are a number of loop trails here. All are good. Along the trail there are various monuments, statues and places of worship which makes the trail interesting.

Beautiful, serene trail. About 6 miles and very green. Mainly level with about 2 miles of gradual inclines. On private retreat property so please respect the closures. Dogs on leash are allowed, but no bikes.

This moderate trail was beautiful!

Terrible marked trail. Very hard to find the beginning with the Buddha center having some of the roads closed. This trail was marked as 8 verses when we saw a trail marking at all.

Lots of mosquito's and poison oak. Narrow trails with tons of roots. Lots to trip over. It's a beautiful first part through the redwoods along a creek. Once you get to the top it's not as nice.
Suppose to be no mountain bikes but they are there. Very narrow trail. So be careful.

Entire family (including dog) enjoyed our day here. Lots of change in terrain kept it interesting. Walk down to creek for light snacks was beautiful, and moments of single trail hiking made it feel intimate. Highly recommend!

Really pretty hike! At the top the path gets super narrow and there is a TON of poison oak. The hike isn't too difficult, but your blood certainly gets flowing. Would certainly do again, but would wear long pants to protect against the plants.

FYI- it's closed on Saturdays. We just drove 3 hours to find this out. We will be back, been on my list to experience (:

This hike was pretty easy for my kids and I to complete. Mild elevation changes and beautiful scenery. Multiple surprise Buddha shrines hidden within the majestic forest trees. Definitely a family friendly hike!

Very peaceful and enchanting hike. It took me about 3 hours to finish. This trail felt fairly Easy for me. It's rated Moderate. I've done moderate trails that have felt much harder.

On my list for awhile, finally experienced this beautiful spot... We started after the first gate of Land of Medicine Buddha (where we were greeted with a map) for the 6 mile loop, with the altars and 8 verses as our reward at the end. Most of the trail is shaded with the lovely tree canopies, and we were almost the only ones on the trail. There are many spots where you must choose L or R and we were able to use alltrails map/ gps to keep us on track. It took us 3ish hours with a lunch break and moments of pausing to enjoy. Also as others have said, about half way the trail narrows and poison oak is plentiful. That and the lack of signage is the reason for 4 stars. The serene gorgeous green surroundings and the trickling of water throughout the journey were soo worth it, the healing energy of this land is truly special. Enjoy!

It was very relaxing do this trail. I surely return there! :)

My family and I loved this hike. It was peaceful and serene with very few other hikers. The trail is not very well marked so it is best to study the map before you go. I agree with the comments about poison oak - there are several stretches where it is difficult to avoid the numerous plants.

Our family likes this location at lot as it is easy to get to and the hike offers many beautiful and peaceful terrains. However the biggest drawback is about after 3 miles into the 6-mile loop, the hiking path became extremely narrow and poison oaks plants are all over the hiking path for about half a mile. There is no way your leg can't touch them. I wore shorts on that day and my right leg had a huge rash 24 hours later. If you do go, do wear long pant that cover your legs.

Great trail, gets narrow towards the top with a good amount of poison oak along that area.

very unique and great trail to hike.

Take Prescott road off of Glen Haven Road all the way to to the end to get to the trailhead. The Land of Medicine Buddist Temple/Tara Redwood School is what you're looking for. I finally found it but didn't go in because they also asked for a $5 donation from day use hikers... I'm gonna stick with Nisene, easy enough to park outside the park and walk in for free there.

It was a nice hike.

Loved this trail!!! The scenery was beautiful!! Just a heads up this is not one sole loop but several loops! My group and I started off at the first trail to the left of the road after the bridge and gait. So we did not see the sign mentioning that "loops". So the only reason I didn't give it full 5 is because I believe they should add one more sign to the front of the trail also explaining the "loops". The 5 mile hike we expected turned into an 8 mile hike haha. Still beautiful hike! I still suggest starting at the beginning of the road, because you work your way up the hike and as you go up the scenery changes and then at the end it leads you to Buddha! haha if you do choose that way we crossed the river and used the trails leading up, we reached a tree with Affirmation flags with a sign that let us know we reached half way. If you continue on away from the river keep going until you find more Affirmation flags connecting 3 trees. if you want to continue to hike go to the left, if you want to see the Buddha statue and other sights go to the right and you'll know you're headed in that direction when you see a third set of smaller Affirmation flags. When you get to the road go to the left! That will lead you back to the Land of Medicine!! Have fun!!!