The Medicine Buddha Loop Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

The Medicine Buddha Loop Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 5.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Soquel, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

private property

Please Note: This trail is closed on Saturdays.

Great loop and a good challenge on the incline of you’re running. I go here regularly with my dog. If you don’t want to hike the full 6 miles you can go for a nice walk and turn around whenever you feel like. Trail goes along the creek and there’s no incline for the first mile.

Near the top is where the poison oak gets REALLY BAD, to the point where you can’t avoid even if you walk slowly and sideways. Wear pants/bring a long sleeve.

Lots of poison oak. Thankfully I was warned how bad it was that I ended up turning around near the top of the hike. Couple of hikers who were wearing pants (I had shorts on) said it was so bad you can’t not help but brush up against it.

It was a beautiful and peaceful trail. Only issue, and probably my bad for not getting a map, is what should have been an easy 5.5-6 mile loop ended up being just over 9 miles. Yup not clearly marked and we went off the trail! My advice...make sure you get a map. Other then that will definitely do it again (with a map)

Great trail but shitty oak up top. Like really bad!!!! Bummer.

Great trail run this afternoon. The people at Land of Medicine Buddha could not have been nicer when I parked on their road (I did make a donation). The map that they provide at their book shop is actually really helpful as it has landmarks that AllTrails does not (e.g. power lines). I saw no one on the whole run until the last 1/4 Mile. Lots of Poison Oak on top, as reported in other reviews. .

Lots of PO this time of year. Otherwise beautiful redwoods and a nice up and back. Take your map. No trail markings. We started left and came back through centre.

Beautiful, peaceful trail!

Beautiful trail, but could be better marked. Fortunately, I passed just enough people on a late Sunday afternoon to assure me I was going the right way!

Great trail! Beautiful the whole time. Not easy but moderate :)

Land of the Medicine Buddha gets Five stars. My experience today would get zero.

Nisene Marks and LOTMB are beautiful and serene. I have no negative comments about the park / retreat center itself.

I took my seven month old Labrador Retriever to Land of the Medicine Buddha today for the first time (his first time not mine) today. I thought it would be a nice serene place to take my dog as it’s a retreat area and surrounded by beautiful nature and Buddhist blessings.

Unfortunately an off leash dog attacked my dog. It pinned him on his back to the ground and bit has face chest and legs. I am going to have to take him to the vet as he has bled a lot and has open wounds.

Please people, if you bring your dog be responsible. We all want to enjoy the space in peace. Safety of others and your own is paramount. It was heartbreaking to hear his cries and see all the blood. My dog was leashed but I felt helpless at being able to get the dog off mine and because he was leashed he could not run away from the other dog. There are leash laws for a reason so please abide by them.

There are a number of loop trails here. All are good. Along the trail there are various monuments, statues and places of worship which makes the trail interesting.

Beautiful, serene trail. About 6 miles and very green. Mainly level with about 2 miles of gradual inclines. On private retreat property so please respect the closures. Dogs on leash are allowed, but no bikes.

This moderate trail was beautiful!

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Terrible marked trail. Very hard to find the beginning with the Buddha center having some of the roads closed. This trail was marked as 8 verses when we saw a trail marking at all.

Friday, August 11, 2017

Lots of mosquito's and poison oak. Narrow trails with tons of roots. Lots to trip over. It's a beautiful first part through the redwoods along a creek. Once you get to the top it's not as nice.
Suppose to be no mountain bikes but they are there. Very narrow trail. So be careful.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Entire family (including dog) enjoyed our day here. Lots of change in terrain kept it interesting. Walk down to creek for light snacks was beautiful, and moments of single trail hiking made it feel intimate. Highly recommend!

Monday, July 31, 2017

Really pretty hike! At the top the path gets super narrow and there is a TON of poison oak. The hike isn't too difficult, but your blood certainly gets flowing. Would certainly do again, but would wear long pants to protect against the plants.

Monday, July 24, 2017

FYI- it's closed on Saturdays. We just drove 3 hours to find this out. We will be back, been on my list to experience (:

Sunday, July 23, 2017

This hike was pretty easy for my kids and I to complete. Mild elevation changes and beautiful scenery. Multiple surprise Buddha shrines hidden within the majestic forest trees. Definitely a family friendly hike!

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Very peaceful and enchanting hike. It took me about 3 hours to finish. This trail felt fairly Easy for me. It's rated Moderate. I've done moderate trails that have felt much harder.

Monday, July 17, 2017

On my list for awhile, finally experienced this beautiful spot... We started after the first gate of Land of Medicine Buddha (where we were greeted with a map) for the 6 mile loop, with the altars and 8 verses as our reward at the end. Most of the trail is shaded with the lovely tree canopies, and we were almost the only ones on the trail. There are many spots where you must choose L or R and we were able to use alltrails map/ gps to keep us on track. It took us 3ish hours with a lunch break and moments of pausing to enjoy. Also as others have said, about half way the trail narrows and poison oak is plentiful. That and the lack of signage is the reason for 4 stars. The serene gorgeous green surroundings and the trickling of water throughout the journey were soo worth it, the healing energy of this land is truly special. Enjoy!

Thursday, July 13, 2017

It was very relaxing do this trail. I surely return there! :)

Monday, July 10, 2017

My family and I loved this hike. It was peaceful and serene with very few other hikers. The trail is not very well marked so it is best to study the map before you go. I agree with the comments about poison oak - there are several stretches where it is difficult to avoid the numerous plants.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Our family likes this location at lot as it is easy to get to and the hike offers many beautiful and peaceful terrains. However the biggest drawback is about after 3 miles into the 6-mile loop, the hiking path became extremely narrow and poison oaks plants are all over the hiking path for about half a mile. There is no way your leg can't touch them. I wore shorts on that day and my right leg had a huge rash 24 hours later. If you do go, do wear long pant that cover your legs.

Friday, June 23, 2017

Great trail, gets narrow towards the top with a good amount of poison oak along that area.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

very unique and great trail to hike.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Take Prescott road off of Glen Haven Road all the way to to the end to get to the trailhead. The Land of Medicine Buddist Temple/Tara Redwood School is what you're looking for. I finally found it but didn't go in because they also asked for a $5 donation from day use hikers... I'm gonna stick with Nisene, easy enough to park outside the park and walk in for free there.

Friday, April 14, 2017

It was a nice hike.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Loved this trail!!! The scenery was beautiful!! Just a heads up this is not one sole loop but several loops! My group and I started off at the first trail to the left of the road after the bridge and gait. So we did not see the sign mentioning that "loops". So the only reason I didn't give it full 5 is because I believe they should add one more sign to the front of the trail also explaining the "loops". The 5 mile hike we expected turned into an 8 mile hike haha. Still beautiful hike! I still suggest starting at the beginning of the road, because you work your way up the hike and as you go up the scenery changes and then at the end it leads you to Buddha! haha if you do choose that way we crossed the river and used the trails leading up, we reached a tree with Affirmation flags with a sign that let us know we reached half way. If you continue on away from the river keep going until you find more Affirmation flags connecting 3 trees. if you want to continue to hike go to the left, if you want to see the Buddha statue and other sights go to the right and you'll know you're headed in that direction when you see a third set of smaller Affirmation flags. When you get to the road go to the left! That will lead you back to the Land of Medicine!! Have fun!!!

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Great little gem of a trail not at all far from the heart of Soquel village. I do it on days when I want a beautiful hike but I also have to work. Starts by following a creek with pretty level but interesting terrain, then climbs up, though never too steeply, to a young, enchanting pine forest. Dogs are allowed on leash, and though I don't normally pass more than one or two other people, I follow that rule and the one that asks trail users keep the noise level to a minimum, as the trail is located on the property of a Buddhist temple. There is parking available just outside the dual entrance to Land of Medicine Buddha and Tara Redwood School, and the trailhead is just up the driveway on the left side of the road. the trail is only open to the public Sunday afternoons and week days. Trail can get a little confusing toward the end, it isn't very well marked.