The Big "C" Trail is a 2.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Riverside, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 997 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I-60 exit University Avenue go East, right at W. Campus Dr., right on Big Springs Rd. will transition to W. Big Springs Rd. then to E. Big Springs Rd.

closed

Great trail, however the instructions, especially at the beginning, are no longer valid. A man named Dave had to walk me back in the right direction. (Thank you Dave) So, to get to the trail, you should primarily rely on the “view full map” section of the app. You want to enter at Islander Park, and follow that map. You will run into a fence where the trolley lies, about eight feet tall. You have to jump over it to access the trailhead. Once you are there, the trail is a bit unclear, as it is no longer maintained, but if you follow the map with your GPS, you’re on the right track. To summarize, ignore the instructions section, follow the map, jump the fence, follow the map again, and you’ll get there. It’s a difficult trail; be prepared for inclines as steep as 50%. But if you can put one front in front of the other for a mile and change uphill, you’ll be fine.

recorded The Big "C" Trail

Thu May 09 2019

Mon Apr 15 2019

Sun Aug 05 2018

You can still access this trail. TRAILHEAD: To find it, go to the Starbucks by Glen Mor. Walk down the street (Box Springs Rd.) toward the mountain. In a few minutes, you'll see a sign that says "No C Trail Access," so keep going straight. Then you'll see a second sign like this, and there's some wood on the ground to help you cross over from the street onto a path. This is a few houses down before a green fence. Cross the wood and walk down the trail. It will lead you to a brown fence. Scoot across the gap under the fence (you'll fit). Go up a little and you'll now be facing some train tracks. If you turn left and walk a few feet, you'll clearly see the start of the trail. If you had turned right, you'd see two "No Trespassing" signs close to each other, so you'd know you're not going in the ideal direction. If you follow the main dirt trails, it will lead you right to the C. TIPS: It took me 2 hours to complete the trail from start to finish, but I took my time. I recommend taking at least 2 liters of water, especially if you go when the sun is out. Watch out when crossing the train tracks, so you don't die. Expect to see graffiti on rocks throughout the trail, but the C didn't have much writing on it to my surprise. As for difficulty, I'd say it's moderate--not a piece of cake, but also not so hard that I considered quitting. If this helped you, thank me by picking up one piece of trash when you hike. Enjoy!

Tue Mar 20 2018

Fun hike! Great view from the top! I went with a group, some of them crawled under a part of the fence and some of us went through the drainage tunnels that go under the railroad to pass by the fence. The trail goes straight up and took about 30 min to get to the top. I prefer climbing to the "M" on the other side of the same mountain, it takes a little longer but it's not as steep.

Sat Jul 29 2017

Yes there is a fence now. According to a PE article it's "temporary" however it's been there over a year now. Today was my first time, and the way I got around the tracks was by going all the way up Blaine St til you hit Belevedere. There will be a sign for Box Springs Mountain, and you can park in the dirt lot to the left. I walked straight down the gravel path until the sign that said "Private" this or that , to my right was a red gate with a trailhead and I took that trailhead past the house with the security camera sign and horses in the back. Got lost a couple of times trying to take the steep trails from there, so on my way back down I realized it's easier to walk alongside the train tracks (this is a weekend so no metrolink was running, or wasn't when I was there, still be careful!) . I followed the red marked path that the AllTrails app has posted for this on the page map, but at the very very end it took me to the right when I should've stayed left. Eventually after a lot of cussing, climbing, sweating, & breathing heavy I found the C! It lies low and its made of concrete so if you aren't looking up or paying attention its easy to get frustrated and wonder wtf is going on. I would highly recommend lots of water,maybe a snack, shoes with good grip, and a hiking stick as well as a hiking partner! This hike is HARD, but it's a great workout for sure. Side note: I realized at the end of Big Springs Dr , there's a fence up with a green cloth but behind it is a runoff tunnel for the creek bed. I didn't try that way, but could see others have walked under the tunnel to access the trail.

Thu Jun 15 2017

how do I get across?????

Wed Jun 07 2017

An intensive hike with an extreme incline, but it gets you to a great view fast! It's definitely worth the hike, especially if you're a student attending UCR

Mon May 08 2017

great trail. a challenge to find the right trailhead, especially after the fence went up on the tracks, but what a view!!

Tue Feb 14 2017

There's a fence now

Sun Feb 05 2017

I heard there's a fence now...does it prevent people from reaching the trail?

Thu Feb 02 2017

love it

Tue Dec 06 2016

all incline!!! take plenty of water!!

Tue Sep 27 2016

It's really fun if you're up for a challenge. My gory friend & I went off the trail halfway to see the other side of the mountains. It's great.

Mon Sep 19 2016

My husky and I didn't follow trails because cut shortly trails but we went on steeps to catch C for burn calories!

Wed Feb 24 2016

This is my go to trail when I don't want to travel far. Great workout anytime of the day/night. Definitely take some water, but please pick up after yourself.

Sun Feb 07 2016

Easy trail to follow. Have done this trail various times in various weather conditions. Great workout! I recommend this to everyone!