Tennesse Valley to Muir Beach and Fox Trail

Tennesse Valley to Muir Beach and Fox Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mill Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,669 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

This was a beautiful hike. Almost reminded me of Big Sur. The elevation gain in certain places was quite challenging but overall it was a good hike. I parked at Muir Beach and went to Pelican Inn for wifi access and called a Lyft to ride to the Tennessee trailhead. It took quite a bit for the driver to show up. I didn't wanna do the loop as we had our 4 year old too. Once the driver reached the trailhead, we walked happily, even used one of those fold up light strollers for a few flat sections and eventually ended up at the beach. My child was fascinated with the birds, caterpillars, lizards, beetles, jumping spiders etc. So it was rewarding in terms of the view, as well as what my child got to see. Beware of the inclines though, some of them are a bit difficult. When I thought it was a bit too much, we reached the downward slope to Muir Beach. I'm glad I went on this hike. Don't forget lots of water, you need it as well as sunscreen. There's zero shade. The view pretty much makes up for it. A worthwhile good dopamine rush!

What a beautiful day out for a hike. Overcasted weather like this makes it a wonderful day anytime to hike because it's super windy and cool. no sun so it's perfect bc there is absolutely no shades at all. I love the view of the coastal from the top mountain.

The coastal trail along the beach cliffs is a reminder of how lucky we are to get to live on this planet, and how lucky we are if we’re healthy enough to do this hike.

This was an excellent hike with great views at just about every point along the path. The trails are clearly marked and well maintained. There was a bit of an uphill hike especially on the way back from Muir Beach which made for a good workout. I went on a Sunday and there was a good amount of people hiking - moderate to high traffic

Beautiful hike, very well groomed

Wow. Really cool trail with a wizard the oz moment. Beautiful panoramic views, beach and wild flowers. What more could one ask for.

Nice hike with a beautiful panoramic view of the ocean.

Loved this hike! Easy parking and the trail is well marked. I went counter clockwise and on the way back from Muir beach there was a lot of up. Just when I thought I was going to die it was downhill. Awesome views the whole time. Definitely will be going back after the smoke clears!

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Great hike. I did it on a foggy day and couldn’t see the sun at all, but it was still a great hike. The terrain is pretty steep at times, which makes it a great workout. Get good shoes. I’d do it again on a sunny day to get good views.

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Stunning hike with beautiful views. The hills are brutal— make sure you’re wearing shoes with traction. And bring sunscreen.

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

The views! I recommend to anyone visiting the area to make one of these trails a must. This was very different than hiking in New England and so glad I had the chance. So cool to hike coastal trails like this. For me this was just about 10.5 mi total as I hiked in from Tam Jct. and didn’t take the detour to the beach. Little did I realize I could have added Rhubarb trail instead of the TN Valley rd. Mostly solid footing and a few challenging sections that get your heart pumping. Next time I will start later in the day to give the fog more time to clear out for even better views.

Saturday, July 28, 2018

Nice trial. I prefer the one that starts at Muir beach but this one is a bit easier. I saw a deer towards the end.

Monday, May 07, 2018

Loved this trail, I just completed it today. By far one of the most scenic routes and had amazing views. The hills were a bit of a struggle but it was all worth it in the end.

Monday, March 12, 2018

Solid hike. Nice views and has a good mix up up hill and downhill

Monday, February 19, 2018

great views of sutro tower, the city, marin, muir beach and some gorgeous coastal cliffs.

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Loved trail. Perfect way to start the new year w this hike on 1/1/18. We started at Tennessee Valley Road to Fox trail and back around coastal trail. VERY NICE, except it would have been much better to have followed coastal trail and back around to Fox trail. Next time for sure. Recorded and it came up to 9.4 miles w 987’ ascent.

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Awesome trail with great views