Tenessee Valley to Muir Beach via Coastal Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(79)
Golden Gate National Recreation Area

Tenessee Valley to Muir Beach via Coastal Trail is a 8.2 mile out and back trail located near Mill Valley, California that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 8.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,978 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

NOTE: It has been reported that the road to the trailhead is currently closed due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

Big loop: up to the ridge and then down to Muir Beach along the Coastal Trail, inland along Green Gulch, up Middle Green Gulch to Coyote Ridge, then down and back to the car on Miwok. Wildflowers were just starting to bloom—another 2-3 weeks and they should be out in full.

This is a very beautiful hike on the harder end of moderate. It's easy to park at Tennessee Valley Trailhead and hit the trails. We walked to Muir Beach end up to the Pelican Inn for lunch and then walked back to Tennessee Valley Trailhead. We were pretty exhausted by the end (due to elevation change and no shade) but the views were stunning. It took roughly 5 hours plus a 1 hour lunch break.

Great 10 mile hike. Start from Spencer Ave Trailhead. Up stairs. Bobcat, Miwuk, down to Tennessee Valley up marincello then morning star to car. Good elevation gains.

great trail! took us about 4 hours, with lots of rests as beautiful vistas. :)

Decent hike but I prefer the loop trails for this area because it allows the whole hike to feel new. I saw a good amount of wildlife including a rabbit and deer. If it's a hot day, I'd recommend starting in the afternoon so it's cooler on your way back.

Started on Foxtail Trail. It’s a tough hike. If you go early enough, the fog is a welcome refresh as well as a pause on Muir Beach.

It was well worth it today. I hiked this trail for the first time. The weather was perfect for this hike, somewhat foggy and cool. I had beautiful views of the beach; on the way back the sun came out a little and I was able to see San Francisco in the distance. I would rate this hike as moderate.

Mon Apr 22 2019

It is a beautiful trail. Lots of people with dogs. It is dusty, bring water and sunscreen.

Tue Apr 16 2019

Absolutely beautiful! Difficult at times but well worth it.

Sat Feb 23 2019

My friends and I have just come back from this beautiful hiking day. Not only I let all my adrenaline out, but also the views were very beautiful. The trail was a little bit tough for me but totally worth it!!

Tue Dec 04 2018

The Scenery in the mountains is very beautiful. It has really broadened my mind. If you want to find a new place for hiking, I recommend this place.

Sat Nov 10 2018

This was a tougher hike than we expected for a coastal trail! You would think because it’s so long that the elevation gain would be fairly evenly dispersed throughout the hike, making it a leisurely but long coastal walk, but it’s surprisingly steep in some sections. We went last weekend and it was very sunny and warm- there’s no shade along this trail too so keep that in mind. The scenery can also be a little dull once you’re on mile 7 or so. Overall was a good challenge with nice views and Muir Beach is a great resting point for midway through this hike!

Sun May 13 2018

The hike was easy yet enjoyable, and the views were great. Packed a wind jacket for this and it was a blessing to have.

Tue Apr 10 2018

What a cool hike! Fun, challenging terrain with some amazing views of the coastline. We did this as a point-to-point from the Tenessee Valley trailhead to the Pelican Inn (which is pretty amazing in-and-of itself). Strong recommendation.

Tue Apr 10 2018

Pretty hard to believe this trail is a short drive from downtown San Francisco. If you're looking for a hike with some good elevation, wildlife, views of the city and the ocean, this is your trail. The route makes its way along Pirates Cove offering incredible views of the rock cliffs. The best part - you can grab a cold one at Pelican Inn right off Shoreline Highway (CA 1) or hang out at Muir Beach. Those interested in a one-way hike (or if you get too comfortable at Pelican Inn) can easily catch a ride back to the parking lot in Tennessee Valley.