Tenaja Trail is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Lake Elsinore, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

Directions from Temecula, CA: Travel Interstate 15 to the Clinton Keith Road exit and go west, then south on Tenaja Road for a total of 9.9 miles. Turn right on Cleveland Forest Rd (FS 7S01). Continue 0.8 miles to Tenaja Trailhead.

good one! good trail running

I liked this trail. It was a decent elevation shift but smooth trail. there are longer routes and you can connect with the falls trail to extend your hike distance.

I would rate this on the more difficult side of moderate (length you should actually figure there and back, which I tracked at about 7 miles, plus elevation gain at some points does get pretty steep). Trail was overgrown in areas, and narrow in some areas with what would be a very steep tumble only a trip/stumble away-- probably not best for littles. Luckily not crowded at all, only a handful of people, or I would have had to turn back, since navigating those narrower parts of the trail with my two dogs + competing foot traffic would have been a no-go. Would have been nice if the trail was more clearly marked-- I was trying to get all the way to the falls, and the first time I went I couldn't figure out the way due to lack of signage so had to turn back at fisherman's camp... disappointing considering it was a trek just to get that far and have to turn back. Second attempt I made it though! Just have to look around and kind of make a "best guess" as to which way to go at some points until you find the more defined trail. When I went the falls were barely trickling, but rain over this past weekend should make for more water flow. First 1/4 mile or so the trail is mostly shaded; good for escaping the sun. A couple water crossings, but at the time it was very shallow, plus there are rocks to hop on over. There are some good vantage points for some really beautiful views, but mostly a very quiet hike where it would be easy to zone out and clear your mind if it weren't for having to so closely monitor your footing.

Also, at the trailhead it is posted that a pass is required to enter and must be displayed on your vehicle left at the lot.

Overall would go again!

Guys, dont get confused on the mileage...it is 4.8 point to point.....not out and back. this is not (though it can be) a round trip hike. 4.8 from A to B.....not A to half point and back to A.

Wednesday, November 01, 2017

Great workout, a lot of downhill at first, but the bugs are super annoying... they harass you on every part of the trail, even in the parking lot! There is no getting away from them. I still like tenaja falls more than this trail!

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Not 4 miles it was 8.3 and we did not even finish it so many bugs!!!! I mean there was not one moment on the trail were there was not swarms of bugs!!!! you couldn't spot and enjoy with out the nats and flys all in you face and stuff we started at 7am end at 12 that is 5 hours of constant hiking the trail is all down going there on the way back it is up not a moderate hike do not do it if you are not experienced or out of shape..... between two people we had 10liters of water and almost ran out super scary .... saw 3 people on the trail so super quite..... but still with bug spray it won't help the bugs are everywhere!!!!! Paved roads all the way to the start of the trail that was nice no service so can't make any calls ...... we went at the end of May oh and you have to cross over so creek beds so be prepared for that and they do have bright orange marked for part of the trail but other then that is was well marked.... I would not do it agin because of the bugs !!!!! Bugs Bugs ruined it alll

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Absolutely beautiful right now! Flowers blooming, butterflies, stream flowing. My dog had fun, too :)

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Such a beautiful trail! Was trying to get to the falls trailhead but accidentally parked at this one and took it all the way to fishermans camp and back. You can make it to the falls from this trail but it is another 4 miles past fishermans camp and I didn't have the sunlight to go that far. It's about 3.5 miles one way to the camp with about 1750 elevation gain total. The river you follow was pretty full right now (Jan 2017) and there were lots of small waterfalls to see along the way. There was plenty of shade but if it's a hot day definitely go in the afternoon when the sun isn't so high and you will get shade almost the entire way. I almost lost the trail at one point because the water was so high and washed out part of the connecting trail across the river. Just look around a bit and you will find it! So worth it even if you don't get to see the falls. It took me about 3 hrs and went just over 7 miles (I stopped a lot to take pics and enjoy the view)

Sunday, January 15, 2017

I really enjoyed the hike, beautiful scenery and waterfall, plan to hike it again.

Monday, January 09, 2017

Good time! Beautiful and peaceful.

Sunday, January 01, 2017

Hiked 6.5 Miles in/out, good enough to go back and finish exploring.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Nice.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

one of my family's favorite hikes!

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Fun trail with decent views. Hiked in about 2.5 then turned about and trekked back to the parking lot. Lots, I say again, LOTS of poison ivy and maybe poison sumac (I'm originally from Texas and never had to identify poison sumac) along the trail. Family had fun. Probably end up doing this one again.

Thursday, March 31, 2016

TICKS!!!! my two dogs had several ticks on them after the hike, even with a strong repellent used. So please check your pets and yourselves! still a nice hike

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

just did the hike yesterday, great canopies throughout the trail. lots of flowers, butterflies, but no falls. just some stagnant water. a nice moderate hike I would like to do again

Monday, March 14, 2016

Amazing hike, one of my favorites in SoCal to date.

Monday, February 29, 2016

Fun

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Beatiful hike very easy hike with clear paths. One of my favorite local trails.

Sunday, May 10, 2015

We hiked this trail on 5/9, it was overcast and amazing! But be aware that TICKS ARE EVERYWHERE right now. Each member of our ground had multiple ticks on their clothes, we had to pick up the pace and jog through the last mile or so just to get away from them! So spray repellant liberally before you go if headed out in rhe Spring. Otherwise the trail is nice and shady once you get past the trailhead, and there are plenty of great views along the way. For a dramatic change in scenery, and to avoid trekking back through the ticks, once you get to the fisherman's camp you can continue up Fisherman's Camp Trail. After some switchbacks it will meet Wildomar Road and you will loop back to the parking lot after a good climb.

Sunday, April 05, 2015

This is where we got lost with our dog for almost 10 hours in the middle of the forest! It was fun and good scenery but traumatic because I failed to navigate in going back. It was scary and maximum adventure!!! Definitely not doing it again for the mean time; however, it is a good hiking trail. Just be prepared and have some enough water to hydrate.

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Hiked this trail this morning. About 50 degrees and sprinkling on and off but great hike nonetheless. Trail is well marked and easy to follow. Heard what sounded like wood peckers and found about 10 brown lizards on the trail about a mile from the trailhead and all were in no hurry to get out of the traveled path. They blend in with the leaves, easy to step on so please watch your step.

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Hiked this trail early this morning and it was awesome!

Monday, November 24, 2014

The hike was good, the views are pretty good as well, however I found myself gathering garbage most of the day. Apparently people find it difficult to pack out what they pack in.

Monday, March 24, 2014

This was a really nice hike, we went late in the morning and found it was a nice cool morning. There is a lot of shade, but no potable water so bring lots of it. Even in the shade it can be pretty hot around mid-day. There was a snake on the trail so just be aware, luckily it was a harmless one, but it is that time of year again. Most of the water in the creek was gone and only a small portion was running. Lots of really nice people along the way. Not much in way of views or exciting scenery, but it was defiantly beautiful.

Sunday, February 09, 2014

only made it to the 3.5 mile mark...apparently another mile will get you to the falls...and 2 miles past that to some hot springs? the hike back out seems more strenuous then going in...more inclines so be prepared. beautiful views and cant wait to go back and hopefully discover the rest.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

This trail gives you a great workout if you jog or power walk through it ! It definitely isn't easy. There's a lot of inclining and declining throughout the whole trail. The creek was unfortunately dry.