Tenaja Falls is a 1.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Murrieta, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.5 miles Elevation Gain: 311 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I’ve heard from multiple people this is kid friendly but I’m glad I scouted it out with just my sister first. It was a great hike but definitely not for my 3 and 6 year old. The road was very nerve racking and the trails not marked well. Note...do not turn at the clearing and follow the creek I would never have known to cross the creek at the beginning if we hadn’t run into someone. There is a pretty narrow and rocky path up the falls that was fun just not for a little one.

Long drive down to the trail on a bumpy road. Epic greenery with beautiful butterflies + dragonflies. Way too many people tho. Went around noon, Maybe better to go in the early morning or evening?

It was great! The drive here was longer than the walk to the falls. Recommend to go in the morning so you won’t hike with a lot of people.

rock climbing

it was a beautiful day and the drive was amazing everyone was polite and the top of the waterfall was amazing!!! I definitely will be taking my family out there again.

Easy trail and great for kids. Don’t make the mistake of not taking a left and crossing the stream shortly after the start. My wife and I took our 11, 10 and 8 year old’s and we climbed down the falls to the lowest pool. The drive in was just as good as the hike.

Great trail, lots of little stream crossing, poison oak suggest wearing pants and bring a machete. The trails next to the stream is a bit rocky, wear proper hiking shoes for maximum grip. Great Hike.

great trail! The drive there is a little sketchy on the one lane road with potholes. nice waterfall scenery.

Wow this was go relaxing and walk was great. First time going up there and we enjoyed the most. You have to drive up there and your vehicle you have to be careful because it’s a Nari road so if someone’s coming up or coming down you have to make sure you’re over to let the car pass but besides that once you get up to the area parking you walk it’s a nice area it’s got to be careful there is a lot of poison ivy up there when you get into the trail where the water is to the right there’s a lot of poison ivy. But the best advice to give you once you get into the trail go to the left across the pond and go up and go to the right and you keep going up all the mountain and you’ll see it beautiful be careful when you’re on the waterfall because very slippery.

I love this place I'm even bringing my son to it we come atleast 3 times a year

Great hike got lost on the trail but just followed the stream up and eventually got to the waterfall 10/10 recommend

Completed the hike reaching a water whole at the end of the trail. Falling into a water fall down the valley. Road to entrance is short, careful driving is a must. Take frozen water recommend to start early.

The trail is great for a long hike...Today there were a lot of snakes out. There is NO waterfall. We hiked the entire trail. There are two spots I suspect where there once were water falls but are dried out. May have to wait until it rains again.

Never actually made it to the waterfall, probably took a wrong turn early on and ended up hiking a hour off trail through the bushes. Turned back once I realized it was probably the wrong way and then got lost. Would definitely recommend to know where to go exactly lol

Nice little hike, water at the falls, lots of people. Lots of dogs and poo that owners left behind. This is really a great hike though! Not a lot of cover so it’s hot. I saw plenty of people wearing sandals but I had my boots for support. The road there is paved most of the way but it will make you question if you are going the right way. Lol

Good little hike

Beautiful views from the falls. water is flowing and the pools were full and refreshing. the road down to the trailhead was very narrow for several miles. nice hike with family and the dog.

Super fun hike! Took my 6 year old son and he did great, we ended up spending a few hours relaxing in the pools at the top of the falls. Bumpy one lane road for 2 way traffic on the last 5 or so miles to the trail head.

It’s open now . Amazing day with the kids

Road finally open today 5/3/20. Short but slightly challenging hike to the top. Only about 3-4 family clusters (12 people total) in the larger multi-tiered feeder ponds and water fall area. Great short hike.

closed

Roads were still closed 4/25/2020... even though Dr Kaiser opened all trails/ hiking 4/20/2020. So we had to hike the road to the trailhead, about 5 miles on the road. Downhill to the tenaja falls trail so be prepared for uphill back. The running creek was beautiful. the hike to the falls was well worth the truck for sure! Total of 13 miles in and out with road closure

Drove out today and the park is closed :(

Awesome hike, saw a rattlesnake on the trail. The drive out here from Murrieta was beautiful

We took a trail that we were told was 3.9 miles to fisherman’s camp. We crossed about 4 small creeks nice steep grades and it was amazing . We heard it was a loop and that it would take us about 8 miles to get back through the fisherman’s camp and up to the waterfall and back to the parking lot No cell service here so plan accordingly Took my 2 German shepherds with me and my wife and 2 kids it was a great hike

The end was nice but soo much trash!! If you bring stuff up there please please take it back with you! We got one earth so let’s take care of it!