Tenaja Falls

Tenaja Falls is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Murrieta, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Really basic hike. Because it's so basic, there can tend to be a lot of people on the trail. there are longer, quieter options that end up at the falls, just stop at one of the alternate points before the main lot for the falls trail.

Beautiful trail. Water wasn't running hard down the falls but it is definitely a must see.. lots of blue bellies, huge tad poles, and a salamander swimming in one of the pools in the fall.. Amazing views at the top! We will be back!

All up hill to get to the falls but great views at the top. Bring extra socks Incase you slip in the pools. I know I have.

Good quick trail !

Hike was short but nice! The only thing is the road to get there is VERRYY NARROW so be cautious and go slow. You have to cross a river not even knees deep to get to the trail that leads to the waterfall. Our pup took a nap when we got there and the hike back was easy.

Great local hike. Good for older children, strollers would not work on the trail back to the falls. There was some water flowing which is really fun to see, watch out for slippery rocks though! Two of my kiddos slipped on rocks and got soaked, but they didn’t mind. Found some broken glass on the trail so watch your step and PLEASE pack out whatever you bring in!

Super easy family friendly hike. The narrow 5 mile road that you take there takes longer than the actual hike. A little bit of water at the falls now. The rocks up there are super slippery so watch your lils! Fun river area to explore as well. The bits of graffiti and trash we saw were a bummer! Oh, and lots of poison oak right now!

Very nice trial, road getting there was a little scary but it was definitely worth it seeing the falls!

great hike! very hidden. road was a little scary. short hike but a great moderate incline to waterfalls. still some water flowing. go left over creek to find trail, right after fish information sighn.

Super fun easy hike. I brought my little dog and she loved it too!

This was a nice trail even off season. We went on a hot Black Friday. It was 86.

I have done this trail and the surrounding trails numerous times and although this one is short, depending on when you go it is the best one! In spring the water runs and is significantly deeper, in fall and winter on occasion the waterfall will be running and it's a quick hike full of great views. Today it's dry, but I'm sure the storms coming in will fix that!

To get there, exit Clinton Keith off the 15 and head west. Go to Tenaja Rd and turn right. Stay on Tenaja until you see Cleveland Forest Road and turn right. You will pass the Tenaja trail, just keep going on the Tenaja Truck Trail Road. It's about 5 miles of a single lane, narrow, windy with some potholes, road. You will pass Fishermans Camp. Keep going. The next trailhead is the one for the Falls. Once you are on the trail, you will see a trail sign for Fishermans camp to the left and the falls to the right. Go right. You'll pass a Steelhead Fish info sign. Keep to the right. Then you will see two big boulders. Just past the boulders is where you will want to cross the stream to continue to the Falls. After that, the trail is very easy to follow.
There wasn't more than a trickle of water at the Falls today but there is still some mucky standing water at the top. It was a little bit buggy, and there is quite a bit of
Poison oak alongside the trail.
Overall, it was a quick and easy little adventure. I want to come back in winter or spring when there might be some water flowing!

This is truly a case of spending more time to get to it than to hike it. In mid July, there was still enough stream flow to keep a bathing pool full for a much needed cool dip. The hike is short, and you must pay attention to crossing the stream early in the hike, and once you do it will be easy to follow the trail on up. This is a great introduction to a huge wilderness area that has years of possibilities.

Beautiful short hike unless you miss the left over the river as we did. It is not marked and luckily we went back and ran into a family that pointed us in the right direction. No falls at this time but still pooling water at the top.

Could not find trail head. The directions are incorrect in apple maps or something. Somebody tell me how to get here and I'll give it a better review!

It's a nice, easy, and relaxing trail. Good for dogs and children. I took the hike to the top and swam in the little water bed above the falls. Good for lunch if you want to eat, there is quite a bit of sun exposure but only while you're walking up the hill. You will get your feet wet for sure, so be sure to wear shoes you know you can get wet.

Short hike to an awesome place. Tip is you cross the creek just after the sign about the fish. Once on the trail before and after stream crossing you can't get lost. Lots of sun exposure not much shade getting there. Pretty much all up hill to get there so the way back is a breeze. Be careful rocks at Falls are slippery even when not wet or barefoot. Not super young kid friendly.

this was dissappointing to me. the road going in is a little challenging at times. Finally get there and the trail itself was confusing. A lot of climbing over and in between boulders/rocks. Never did get to the falls. I guess the challenge is NOT to FALL! I would not say it is moderate. It's on the difficult side. Not kid friendly!

Watch out for bugs and poison oak!

Monday, May 15, 2017

This was a bucket list hike for me as the drive to get there is long and the hike is short. We drove in from the west on Hwy 74 and then came down So Main Divide Rd. The falls are still somewhat flowing so it made from some good pictures. I'd do the hike again but would like to add some additional distance to it.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

It's an ok hike. The trail itself can throw you off. The waterfall would be more pleasing if it wasn't covered in graffiti and trash.

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Not from this area, but my friend and I expected an easy trail like it suggests. I'm not sure where the actual trail is, but it branches off in 20 different unmarked directions. We were really afraid of getting lost. Met some rowdy locals who appeared to have been doing some heavy drinking. It's quite grown up in weeds with lots of rocks and boulders. The road getting there is a very narrow and twisty mountain with huge potholes. Be careful.

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Great time! The road in is a tad scary in the car but we made it.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

I've never been to this site before. I hiked all the way to Fisherman's Camp and did not see the falls. Where are they?

Monday, March 13, 2017

Very beautiful, kid and dog friendly. Easy hike.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

The trail seemed pretty washed out. A lot of climbing over rocks and boulders and I never made it to the falls. A lot of pools and water though.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Climbing over rocks most of the time and couldn't seem to find the falls. The people ahead of us couldn't find the falls as well. Nats in my face the entire time.

Thursday, March 09, 2017

I took my dog there yesterday and this is the fullest we've ever seen the falls! My 70 pound lab was able to fully swim in the pools at the top. Absolutely gorgeous right now.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Not sure how this is rated easy and kid friendly. Substantial bouldering required of my 2 year old. Beautiful, but not easy for kids