Cyber Monday Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Temescal Canyon Will Rogers Loop Trail

Temescal Canyon Will Rogers Loop Trail is a 13 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 13.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,759 feet Route Type: Loop

Good hike. Decent elevation gain and great views all along the trail.

easy trail, moderate evelation gain. you can hike this at a consistent pace without getting to tired.

It’s too intense. Only one spot for you to take a rest. It’s way too exposed to the sun:( I didn’t bring enough water, please remember water if you are planning to do it. I think my umbrella save my life. The first intention to bring it is to protect myself from danger. I think the view is okay, if you only want to see the Pacific Ocean and some mountain, it’s really unnecessary to do this long trail. I was not very enjoying it as the first half made me feel like I cannot finish it before dark... If you want to just work out, maybe this is good for you. But views are just okay:( And way too much annoying bugs and sun shine. I don’t think I will ever do it again, personally.

Overgrown in sections but great distance and can get away from the crowds. I saw two rattlesnakes though so they are getting more active with the heat.

Difficult hike with steep climbing loose ground should have had my walking sticks but didn’t. No shade wild flowers head high with a million bees buzzing and lots of lizards. Brought a camelback with water and snacks took me 6 hours epic views on this sunny day!

Trail is open and no indication of closure in counterclockwise direction. Crews were clearing backbone trail around Temescal peak; its nice and wide now. Lots of sections still blooming. Bugs are out and lizards too.

As the last reviewer wrote, this trail is difficult because there is little cover and it is LONG. I didn’t notice the trail was closed, no signage or indications—my partner and I did this clockwise, though we tapped out at the 9.5m mark. Be aware, we saw a baby rattlesnake, lots of lizards, and LOTS of bugs. Would recommend lots of water for this trail, at least 2.5L, and some food to snack on. Make sure to bring extra sunscreen and a hat, there is little cover for most of this trail. With all the rain recently, this trail is heavily overgrown in sections so I’d recommend longer leggings and ankle high boots if you can. No ticks here, but we plan on playing it safe next time. Definitely plan on making this a regular, though I’d recommend starting early and doing it when temps are cooler. Again, no cover and this one is uphill for a good portion. Very rewarding!

closed

A portion of this trail near the top (where Roger Road meets Temescal Cyn fire road) is supposed to be closed, though you won’t know this if you’re going counterclockwise. The trail is in traversable condition, but it’s overgrown and precipitous in several places, with lots of gravel and scree mixed with ruts from the heavy rains. There’s bugs galore, from flies and gnats to mosquitos and stinging ants at all points along the trail. I recommend bringing something like clif bars or trail mix that you can snack on while walking. Numerous flying insects mean you likely won’t want to sit and eat. The trail is quite exposed along most of its length, so make sure you bring a hat and adequate sun protection. At least 2.5 liters of water is a must on sunny days. Start early if you can. In either direction, be careful of falling rocks when passing Skull rock. We saw several teens throwing rocks off Skull rock toward the trail, which is extremely dangerous. There was one big, mature rattlesnake that slid off into the brush and a garter snake that darted in front of us to cross the trail. Numerous lizards and birds, and beautiful wildflowers in Will Rogers Park. We clocked this closer to 15 miles than the 13.6 that AllTrails quotes.

one of my favorite longer hikes close to west side! many varied views.

I did this route as an easy-ish trail run, hiking uphills and running flats and downhills easy. My mileage was showing 12 miles and it took me 2 hours and 26 minutes going counter clockwise. Lots of traffic on the last 1.5 miles up to skull rock. A lot of overgrowth on the first half of the loop, at times making me wonder if I was on a game trail vs a real trail. Singletrack trail for most areas with some other fire roads mixed in. Wished I would have worn pants and long sleeves, may have had a small poison oak reaction

Good hike. Went with my brother. If you are going clockwise the Rogers road trail was closed, so we had to back track to the Roger road trail alternative. The whole length was trails, which was awesome. The last mile was great, it was a more forested area that climbed and opened back into the mountains.

Creds- AllTrails Pro. 13.9 mi, ~2,800’ El Gain. Moving time 5:50. Suggest giving ‘AllTrails Pro ‘great Xmas gift- don’t have to worry about getting lost. Started 8:30 am Wednesday 12 Dec 2018. Lots of available Parking for $10. Went counter clockwise, Recommendation clockwise if want to run down. Followed AllTrails. Trail in great condition except small section right before Temescal Road, but doable. If going clockwise there is a Closed’ sign. Enjoyed hike since 90% trails and lots of spectacular views. Great to hike when ~65F instead of 80 F plus. Mostly women hiking this trail (too hard for guys?) . Just enough traffic to clear spider webs, snakes, and lions for me- thank you. Critical to bring at least 3 liters water and food. Highly recommend wearing hat. Great hike this time of year.

Great views, challenging trail perfect with company or by yourself

This is an exceptional hike with multiple varied views and surroundings. Demanding and occasionally inconvenient dealing with bikers on the thin path. But well worth a 6 hour investment.

Sun Sep 30 2018

I heard a lot of complaints as far as the accuracy of the trial goes and I fixed that problem. Ran this on 9/28/18 exploring but mostly figuring out the Accuracy. Please use my recording for future reference and do not try to hike or run this without a serious level of fitness for your own safety

Mon Jul 23 2018

This is a vigorous hike. The trail was clear, but is was sometimes difficult to stay on track. The app really helped. It took me a little over 6 hours to complete this hike because of the heat. I would stop often to cool off whenever I could find some shade, which is difficult at times. I will do this hike again when it is cooler. There are a lot of uphill sections. Bring lots of water!

Mon Jun 25 2018

This is a great hike. Took me 5 1/2 hours to complete, including the walk to and from Sunset to get to the loop. The whole trail is open, but many sections of the Backbone Trail are covered over by tall weeds. I think this will be a regular for me.

Mon Feb 19 2018

Great trail and beautiful views. Part of it was closed so we couldn't do the full loop.