Temescal Canyon Will Rogers Loop Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(155)
Topanga State Park

Temescal Canyon Will Rogers Loop Trail is a 13 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 13.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,759 feet Route Type: Loop

I enjoy this one when I want a longer hike but not too strenuous. It is not very shady though so go early and wear sunscreen!

I had a great time! I don’t hike too often though and I gotta admit I was scared to see a rattler. A seasoned hiker of backbone trail told me there are a lot out there but she said just whistle or talk to yourself or read and they’ll get outta ur way. Also, don’t wear headphones because there are a lot of bikers jamming around those trails and if you don’t hear them coming to get out of their way... well, no Bueno. All in all, amazing views and such a beautiful hike. I’m glad I did it. And I’ll do it again soon.

Very nice but not spectacular loop. A lot of the most interesting parts of this hike are in the Temescal Canyon area, which doesn't require such a long loop if you just want to see some sights. However, the Temescal - Will Rodgers sections of the trail are also the busiest and may be very crowded on a nice weekend. I went counter-clockwise, which worked out fine. The trail was clear and mostly even, and would probably be fine to do in either direction.I also took the Rodeo Ridge "side-trail" which runs next to the Backbone trail. It was very overgrown but had some nice views, however I think most people would be better off on the main trail. I clocked this as about 14.5 miles instead of the 13 stated on the description. Take care to bring enough food and water - it took me about 5 hours hiking steadily.

Sarcasm first - for the reviewer who doesn't like sunshine, warm weather or views of the mountains and ocean - you should probably stay indoors especially in July. For context - 40yo Male, pretty good fitness level. i did the loop plus Inspiration Point and Ranchero Ridge in 4 hours. Part trail running and part hiking. I started east first. The trail begins with a decent climb in the first mile. The path is narrow 1- person wide until you get closer to Will Rogers Park. Plants encroach on the trail but it is easy to follow. Once you get to Will Rogers State Park the trail opens up wider. This entire first section up to and a bit beyond Inspiration Point is pretty popular with all skill level hikes out there, plus mini and many dogs, horses and bikes. After Inspriration Point the trail begins the real loop and you loose a lot of thr crowds - I saw only a handful of people over about 7 miles. The Ranchero Ridge path is more difficult than the rest of the 'black' labeled path. It is hard to find without the download map and overgrowth quite a bit, but there was no one there, and had some great views. The west part of the loop, meanders back and forth close to a utility road. There are rocky parts, and some steep places. By Mike 14 it was tough on the knees and i would advise going that way first. The last 3 miles or so also became very busy as people tried to get to the top for the views. I took the waterfall trail in instead of the loop and it was well worth it but busy. No real waterfall but cool, lots of plants, and covered. Overall - no water availability anywhere on the trail. I would rate it as a moderate trail; there are no scrambles, ladders, or technical climbing anywhere on the trail. There are a lot of intersecting trails and it is very poorly marked so download the maps. People on the trail respected that i was running and moved aside. Good weekend hike especially after getting away from the crowds on the backside of the loop.

I went on this trail in January and was glad I started (8am) early, because it gets crowded by 10:30 in the parking lot and trail. Parking is $10 from the 1 freeway. Bring snacks and water. This is definitely a moderate hike, so allocate some time, but it’s worth the view.

Good hike. Decent elevation gain and great views all along the trail.

It’s too intense. Only one spot for you to take a rest. It’s way too exposed to the sun:( I didn’t bring enough water, please remember water if you are planning to do it. I think my umbrella save my life. The first intention to bring it is to protect myself from danger. I think the view is okay, if you only want to see the Pacific Ocean and some mountain, it’s really unnecessary to do this long trail. I was not very enjoying it as the first half made me feel like I cannot finish it before dark... If you want to just work out, maybe this is good for you. But views are just okay:( And way too much annoying bugs and sun shine. I don’t think I will ever do it again, personally.

Overgrown in sections but great distance and can get away from the crowds. I saw two rattlesnakes though so they are getting more active with the heat.

Difficult hike with steep climbing loose ground should have had my walking sticks but didn’t. No shade wild flowers head high with a million bees buzzing and lots of lizards. Brought a camelback with water and snacks took me 6 hours epic views on this sunny day!

Sat May 04 2019

Trail is open and no indication of closure in counterclockwise direction. Crews were clearing backbone trail around Temescal peak; its nice and wide now. Lots of sections still blooming. Bugs are out and lizards too.

Mon Apr 01 2019

As the last reviewer wrote, this trail is difficult because there is little cover and it is LONG. I didn’t notice the trail was closed, no signage or indications—my partner and I did this clockwise, though we tapped out at the 9.5m mark. Be aware, we saw a baby rattlesnake, lots of lizards, and LOTS of bugs. Would recommend lots of water for this trail, at least 2.5L, and some food to snack on. Make sure to bring extra sunscreen and a hat, there is little cover for most of this trail. With all the rain recently, this trail is heavily overgrown in sections so I’d recommend longer leggings and ankle high boots if you can. No ticks here, but we plan on playing it safe next time. Definitely plan on making this a regular, though I’d recommend starting early and doing it when temps are cooler. Again, no cover and this one is uphill for a good portion. Very rewarding!

closed
Mon Mar 18 2019

A portion of this trail near the top (where Roger Road meets Temescal Cyn fire road) is supposed to be closed, though you won’t know this if you’re going counterclockwise. The trail is in traversable condition, but it’s overgrown and precipitous in several places, with lots of gravel and scree mixed with ruts from the heavy rains. There’s bugs galore, from flies and gnats to mosquitos and stinging ants at all points along the trail. I recommend bringing something like clif bars or trail mix that you can snack on while walking. Numerous flying insects mean you likely won’t want to sit and eat. The trail is quite exposed along most of its length, so make sure you bring a hat and adequate sun protection. At least 2.5 liters of water is a must on sunny days. Start early if you can. In either direction, be careful of falling rocks when passing Skull rock. We saw several teens throwing rocks off Skull rock toward the trail, which is extremely dangerous. There was one big, mature rattlesnake that slid off into the brush and a garter snake that darted in front of us to cross the trail. Numerous lizards and birds, and beautiful wildflowers in Will Rogers Park. We clocked this closer to 15 miles than the 13.6 that AllTrails quotes.

Sun Mar 17 2019

one of my favorite longer hikes close to west side! many varied views.

Mon Feb 18 2019

Sun Jan 13 2019

I did this route as an easy-ish trail run, hiking uphills and running flats and downhills easy. My mileage was showing 12 miles and it took me 2 hours and 26 minutes going counter clockwise. Lots of traffic on the last 1.5 miles up to skull rock. A lot of overgrowth on the first half of the loop, at times making me wonder if I was on a game trail vs a real trail. Singletrack trail for most areas with some other fire roads mixed in. Wished I would have worn pants and long sleeves, may have had a small poison oak reaction

Sun Dec 16 2018

Good hike. Went with my brother. If you are going clockwise the Rogers road trail was closed, so we had to back track to the Roger road trail alternative. The whole length was trails, which was awesome. The last mile was great, it was a more forested area that climbed and opened back into the mountains.

Thu Dec 13 2018

Creds- AllTrails Pro. 13.9 mi, ~2,800’ El Gain. Moving time 5:50. Suggest giving ‘AllTrails Pro ‘great Xmas gift- don’t have to worry about getting lost. Started 8:30 am Wednesday 12 Dec 2018. Lots of available Parking for $10. Went counter clockwise, Recommendation clockwise if want to run down. Followed AllTrails. Trail in great condition except small section right before Temescal Road, but doable. If going clockwise there is a Closed’ sign. Enjoyed hike since 90% trails and lots of spectacular views. Great to hike when ~65F instead of 80 F plus. Mostly women hiking this trail (too hard for guys?) . Just enough traffic to clear spider webs, snakes, and lions for me- thank you. Critical to bring at least 3 liters water and food. Highly recommend wearing hat. Great hike this time of year.

Mon Dec 10 2018

Great views, challenging trail perfect with company or by yourself