Temescal Canyon Will Rogers Loop Trail

Temescal Canyon Will Rogers Loop Trail is a 13 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Great trail and beautiful views. Part of it was closed so we couldn't do the full loop.

Great hike. Bring lots of water on hot days.

Wonderful, except that the second half of the trail was closed. The park ranger should put a sign at the beginning to warn people... and maybe add information such as if there is another way to reach Will Rogers...

Awesome hike! The trail is overgrown in the second half. Found a tiny tick crawling on me. I was happy to be wearing pants. This hike is almost entirely exposed. Took me almost 5 hours. Bring lots of water.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Very challenging and fulfilling trail. Thank heaven for this app because there are a lot of confusing spots where you could end up going the wrong direction if you're not looking at the app for the right path.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

I started this hike at 6:45am in the morning. It look me about 3 hours and 54 minutes. It was a lot of fun, weather was cooperative and the views were splendid. There are a lot of points during this hike where you can see the ocean and Downtown LA at the same time! How awesome is that?!

Now about the other review that said it was about 16 miles, let me clarify that. It is 13.5 miles from the paid parking lot. Now, if you park on the street (sunset blvd) or else where, of course that would add some distance to your walking. The paid parking is a rip off. $10 for parking when a quarter mile up the road, there's free parking... PSSHH!! Of course I got street parking.. Anyway, I digress.. My point is: The start and stop point you see on the map is a total of 13.5 miles. Use the map on the AllTrail app cos it's easy to end up on another trail.

Friday, April 07, 2017

Bushes are all grown out so you must wear long pants if you dont want to get all scratched up. Also the downhill is pretty tough. The goat peak? was nice though.

Monday, January 16, 2017

This is an amazing loop trail but be warned, this is really more like 16 miles than 13.5. Took this from the base of Temescal, connected through a "closed" trail over the Rodger's Road Trail and finally across Rivas Canyon Trail. It's about14 miles to the base of Will Rodgers then 2.1 left on Rivas which is very narrow but steep and fun. While it was a crowded holiday Sunday, it was the nicest group of fellow hikers I've experienced in 15 years.

Monday, January 09, 2017

Love this place

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Awesome trail run & workout

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Great views and awesome workout!!!!!!!

Friday, July 15, 2016

Loved it!

Monday, July 04, 2016

Great

Saturday, June 25, 2016

This was a great walk aided by a costal eddy that kept us cool. Its a great climb and lots of different terrain with a cute walk between the two parks to finish.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Loved it! This has multiple terrain and wonderful views. Hiked in June and fortunate to have had fog and overcast sky's.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

I good long hike, lots off walking up and down hills. Bring food and water, this will take you a while.

Monday, May 23, 2016

If my scale was mt baldy being a 10 and runyon being a 1 i would rate this hike as a 5. Nice views. Easy to access and can do in less than 5 hrs. Not a lot of shade.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Dogs are NOT allowed after the first half mile of the hike.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Good walk. Nothing difficult. Trail very pretty on way back. Note that path closed at loop just after turnoff to Temascal Canyon - need to take turnoff about 400 yards before. Took just under 5 hours - Sunset to Sunset.

Thursday, March 03, 2016

This was a great hike. Would definitely do it again.

Sunday, January 03, 2016

I took a wrong trail which totaled to 16 miles. The backbone portion is very boring.

Tuesday, June 02, 2015

It was definitely not an easy hike. About 80% sun so me choosing to start at 2pm.... Not ideal lol. Anyway. Easy to find and start. I'd recommend starting at will Rodgers and looping out of Temescal and back to will Rodgers.

Monday, January 05, 2015

Great views. Definitely the Temescal Canyon road less traveled.

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Nice trail provides shade along segments and some sections with quick elevation gain/loss,

Monday, April 28, 2014

So, the parking fee went up one dollar. The cactus along Rivas Canyon trail are blooming. Passed by a couple of riders on horseback.

Monday, April 28, 2014

There are two and four hour on street parking on Sunset and self pay ($6) parking in the park. Vary basic maps are generally available on the way to the trailhead. I like to hike the Temescal Canyon loop first and then hit the Ryn Canyon trail to Backbone. There are some butt burners along the way but overall it is a pretty easygoing trek.

Friday, April 04, 2014

This is a less traveled trail than nearby Temescal Canyon Trail, but it is easily accessible from the same park. The morning I went with 2 friends, we were the only ones on the trail the entire time. Not as steep as Temescal either, it descends down into a very lush, green, and quiet canyon area which is very nice and peaceful. After the canyon part, the path led us next to a brick wall which on the other side was someone's backyard. We also noticed it looked like we joined a path that horses frequent a lot because there was a lot of horse manure. As we were trying to find Will Rogers State Park for our turn around point, we got kind of lost because there were several small paths and no signs telling us which way to go. We ended up in someone's hillside backyard which was obviously not correct. We never found our way to Will Rogers, we just ended up turning around and heading back to Temescal. It is an overall easy hike, but not well marked in some spots.

Tuesday, June 04, 2013

On this day I had this trail all to myself. It is a pretty smooth trail with lightly shaded areas along the way. I hiked on a sunny afternoon with the temps in the low 70's. I enjoyed the views of the ocean, coastline, mountains and canyons along the trail. I started at the Temescal Canyon parking lot just beyond the store. At the start as well as further along the trail there are some steep switchbacks. The rest of the trail is pretty mild and easily negotiated. It took me just over two hours to complete this trail round trip.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Starting at Temescal Canyon park, there is a quick assent of about 500 feet on many switchbacks, followed by a shady walk along the ridge before descending into the canyon floor, for about a mile of quiet wooded area with a sometimes creek. The trail runs into and across Rives Canyon road, then a short assent to a meadow before you reach Will Rogers State Park.
This is one of the few trails that welcome my dog.

Saturday, March 09, 2013

This is one of many big loops to do in the Topanga State Park area. Beginning at the Temescal Rivas trail head east for 2 miles of almost completely shaded trail to Will Rogers. From here on up it's 90% unshaded, so make sure to bring a lot of water. I burned through 2.5 liters and should have had more. Actually lost 7lbs on this trip. On good days like this one I was able to see Baldy and Gorgonio to the east and Catalina and San Nicholas Islands to the southwest. Keep a constant eye and ear out for mountain bikers, as they normally won't slow down for you on the steep sections. I find this to be good distance training for bigger hikes like a few of the long Mt Wilson loops. It's not too much elevation gain, but is about 14 miles, so be sure to wear comfortable boots/shoes. Cannot stress enough to bring plenty of water!