Temescal Canyon Trail

MODERATE 1,000 reviews

Temescal Canyon Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

This park entrance is located at Temescal Canyon Road and Sunset Blvd, about a mile from PCH.

A quick getaway hike that is easy to get to. Counterclockwise for the view at the end. Clockwise for a bit more cardio.

beautiful, but crowded.

I hiked this trail on my way to Will Rogers from the San Fernando Valley. It's a nice little hike with some spectacular views.

Love this trail. Our early am workout in an hour or less. Beautiful!

Beautiful nature views of tree covered mountains, canopying trees over the path (doesn’t interfere with the walk!), & flowers. Waterfall was dry, but beautiful hike :)

it was a solid hike. west side (left) to start. steeper incline. views of ocean. east side gradual descent. more rural. dusty trail so you will get dirty. good footwear recommended. i did it without water at 11 am and 83 degrees. it was fine.

Beautiful!!!

Challenging but beautiful views and scenery

A wonderful hike to go on that's local and can take about 30 minutes to get to the top of the summit. Best times to go are the early morning, as there are less people and the sun isn't fully beaming yet. I recommend a good 8am start if not sooner.

Rewarding view of the Pacific and as far as downtown LA! I usually go as far as Skull Rock and then make my way down.

Not at bad hike, just had a lot of hard rocks on the paths where someone may be able to trip and/or twist an ankle. Overall there is a lot of shade and has a gradual incline and all downhill on the back end.

Such a beautiful view of LA plus a view of the beach! Lots of green trees and shade on the left side of trail. On the right trail is where dogs are allowed. Lots of steps but such a great workout! Only con is you barely get any shade compared to the left side of trail. Also, not a crowded trail which is a major plus!

P.S. parking is $10 but there is some parking across the street.

If you take the trail left or west, you will quickly start an incline for a mile, with little shade, quite a bit of heat, but the most amazing views of the ocean and coastline. If you go right or east, it’s mostly shade, a steady incline, and lots of flora. There is also an amazing breeze. For me, I loved going left, seeing the amazing ocean views and becoming quite overheated, and then enjoying the slow decline under the flora and cool breeze hitting me most of the way back to the parking lots. And there also tables and a green grassy patch for one to have a picnic on the bottom of the right side.

Great trail with some good inclines. We went from east to west and so the steeper grades were on the way down. Nice views once you get up top. Cacti at the lower elevations. I think most go up from the west because you reach the top sooner but I liked the slower inclines. Bring water as it gets hot. Saw lots of birds as well.

Good walk, gets the blood flowing and a nice view LA and the beaches! Recommend you go to the left for a steeper climb and more relaxed decent on your ankles!

Love!

This was a moderate hike with good elevation gain.

A great hike with beautiful views!

Just hiked this trail a few weeks ago one morning. I recommend starting in the early morning to avoid the heat this time of year, or wait for a cloudy morning. There are great views in all directions of mountains, city, and ocean. I saw a good number of people on the trail, it is popular. I took the trail in the clockwise direction, starting up the steepest part of the incline first. I love the low shade towards the top. Despite there not being too many trees, the chaparral forest is tall enough to offer some shade. The waterfall wasn't so much a waterfall but a slow trickle this time of year. I'll have to come back after a rain.

I definitely recommend this trail to anybody on the westside. It's easy to get to, super beautiful, and I've heard you can extend it to go check out Skull Rock. No time for that this time around, but next time for sure.

If you want to get an idea of what it looks like ahead of time, check out my vlog episode for this trail.

Also, here's some music for hikers and trail runners: http://sptfy.com/16Gy

Have a great hike!

East side of hike typically has shade while the west side has less shade.

Good views of Mt Baldy, downtown LA & the ocean once you reach the top. Not too many people (I went on a Tues evening) but enough to slightly annoy me. All uphill then downhill as you go back.

Great hike, great views. Took the steeper way up for a good workout. Only downside is the $10 fee to park, but the park is very well maintained.

got a good workout!!

It was a great hike, some steep elevation. I am a beginner hiker, so this was pretty difficult for me. Beautiful view! Parking was easy.

truly moderate, this Trail had me breathing heavy and definitely working up a bit of a sweat. I even stopped to eat an apple about three-quarters of the way up as I caught my breath. I took the east side on the way up so that I could see the ocean view as I descended on the west. It wasn't quite sunset though, but still the view on the west was really nice. plenty of shade on both sides in the late afternoon/early evening.

I live close to this hike and hike it multiple times a week. It is mad crazy busy on the weekends between 8am-11am with lots of folks who hike in groups and don’t always respect hiking etiquette (play their music out loud the entire hike). Other than those times, it’s a great little hike. Perfect for those who want to put in an hour an get a decent workout while they hike. Can be combined with an out and back to Skull rock, and can go past Skull Rock even to extend your hike. Park just outside the park on Temescal Canyon Rd for free - has never been a time where i couldn’t find a spot.

Beautiful trail!

This is my second time here. It is a moderate trek with nice views and a depending on the the season there's a waterfall. There is a pretty decent incline on your way up the hill where you find a great view of the ocean, the hills and the Palisades. It takes about 30-45 minutes to summit if you are a moderate hiker and keep a good pace. The terrain is a mix between packed dirt and loose rocky terrain so you have to have good traction on your shoes/boots.

There is a $10 parking lot that leads into the trail. For free parking park on Temescal Canyon Rd rather than in the lot for the park. There are bathrooms and a friendly Ranger on the site so it is accommodating when you first arrive.

You have to bring lots of water, sunscreen, and a hat because most of the trail not shaded. It gets hot there so you have to be aware that there are rattlesnakes that are trying to get heat from the sun. This is not a dog-friendly trail because the sun can be extreme and the exposure to snakes and lizards are risky.

This is a great trail. There are breath-taking views every 5 minutes on the way up and the peak offers a 360 view of Santa Monica, Malibu, vineyards, and LA. There's so much to see and it's a great place to appreciate what LA and the west side has to offer.

Great loop trail - it’s fairly busy so try to get there pretty early (before 9am). I was there between 9am-10am and there was traffic on the trail but not so much for it to be a hassle. The trails are also wide enough where you can pass people with ease.
I went the west route first which I preferred - the first mile (approx) was all an incline and is mostly in the sun,
although there were some
covered spots. It’s a good workout and the loop back was nice and shaded. Either way you choose you’ll be looking at an incline going and a decline coming back.
There are quite a few rocks on the trail so treaded shoes helped. Also, there is a day charge for parking ($10) and the machine takes credit/debit cards. Also no dogs are allowed on the trail (which is good as there is no dog poop).
I would rate this a moderate loop.