Temescal Canyon Trail

Temescal Canyon Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 875 feet Route Type: Loop

$10 parking fee. This park entrance is located at Temescal Canyon Road and Sunset Blvd, about a mile from Pacific Coast Highway

16 minutes ago

Kicked my ass....but it was my first time hike.

A good workout. Beautiful trail. Prefer to start out going right on the loop so you have ocean views the whole way down.

Excellent trail up the side of the Santa Monica Mountains. Great views of the Pacific Ocean. Path oscillates between wife and narrow so have good situational awareness of the edge of the trail at all times. I've seen lots of wildlife along the trail including beautiful and non venous milk snakes around the water holes. I recommend you using a hydration pack along this trail and especially if you are trail running. This trail is a great workout.

Man, I really miss taking this trail! High recommend!

Beautiful trail. lots of flowers. It has great views. the waterfall was nothing impressive. but the rest of the hike was great.

Enjoyed this hiking trail. We got a good workout and enjoyed nature. I recommend showing up early. It’s a very popular trail

Very busy on a Saturday. Went the counter clockwise direction. Was a little too strenuous for my dad so we turned around early. We passed a woman on the way down who had fallen and twisted her ankle. Lots of people alerting park worker to go help her.

Breathtaking views with a good mix of ocean and city views to greenery with waterfall. Very peaceful if you go early to skip the crowds. We went clockwise with the waterfall at the end and I was happy to start with the city view and end with the waterfall.

Good hike! I try to always start going counter clock wise to hit waterfall first. Well sometimes there is a waterfall and sometimes there is not. My 8 year old can run up the mountain. I cannot, lol. Bring water!!!

Great trail! Waterfall is beautiful, especially if you're willing to climb down to the pool at the bottom. Amazing views all around.

woo this one was tough. it was my first time in a loong time. but it was worth it. great view at the end

Great trail, hike all the way to Hub Junction for amazing views and options

Really great trail- good workout. I did the trail clockwise with the waterfall at the end to get the uphill work out of the way sooner. Great ocean views and breezes from the top. A little crowded but not too bad. Good pay parking with facilities at the trailhead.

Great little hike in very accessible area of the Santa Monica Mountains. If you don’t want to drive far, but want to immerse yourself in nature, this is the perfect hike for you. Great views of the canyon and ocean throughout the hike. You get plenty of views of palisades, Santa Monica Bay, and Downtown LA. You can see raptors, deer, bobcats, and snakes. I’ve seen several rattle snakes so just be aware that they exists and want nothing to do with you. Currently the trail looks great. You can thank the winter rains for the super bloom of wild flowers. The creek is almost dry but the waterfall is still flowing (slightly). Overall this a great hike year round as it provides a good workout, views, and only takes 1.5 hours.

Nice views from the top of the hill , over the Pacific Ocean.

I’d recommend doing this counter clockwise as coming down to the views is a nice reward for your work.

Nice walk but I did stop and let the rattlesnake slither across.

I've always loved this hike. It's a loop so you can start one way or another. Keep right and head to the back to start with the waterfall and a relatively easy incline/decline. Go left toward the stairs and get a good 20-25 minutes of steep hiking with a rewarding view at the top, and finish it off with the waterfall. Either way, it's bound to be a decent little hike. It's particularly great around this time so soon after the rain... Flowers are out and the waterfall is going. Bring sunscreen!

Pretty chill hike! Not sure why it would be moderate rating. It's pretty easy. If you're heading for the waterfall make sure u follow the road in and make ur way to the flat trail.. Don't go up the trail that says to will rogers cus that's we did and we had to turn around

Awesome hike. Fair amount of shade. Went counterclockwise so hit the waterfall and beautiful babbling brook early. Very steep uphill climb for first two miles. Will go the other way around next time, but gorgeous and great workout either way!

I love this trail a lottt! Feel so close to the sea during part of the trail. Wild flower, good views, great workout - it’s actually a bit longer than 2.9 miles and there are many other trails to explore inside the park. Very nice!

Loved this trail! So many different views from the ocean to wildflowers to a waterfall. I recommend taking the loop clockwise. The uphill climb can be tough at times, but the second half is all down hill with a beautiful stop at a waterfall. Highly recommend! Parking is $10.

Beautiful shaded trail with ocean view, wild flowers and waterfalls!!! Love it!!!

Great to see the waterfall! @Michele: found your toe nail!

Beautiful! We begin near the camp store and headed along the creek toward the waterfall first. A lot of up but I am not super in shape and I did it, though I was often thirsty. The view of the Pacific Ocean was gorgeous. It was pretty steep going down and I lost a toenail, but that was probably cuz we were kind of in a hurry. This trail was very busy—but it was perfect clear weather on a Sunday. The traffic was helpful too—there are a few intersecting trails and people willingly helped out with directions.

excellent trail with views of ocean. can be a bit strenuous if you go clockwise.

Beautiful, waterfall was going