Telegraph Peak via Manker Flat and Baldy Notch

Telegraph Peak via Manker Flat and Baldy Notch is a 11.4 mile out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Splendid high country, wilderness, and breathtaking peak with a 360-degree view Telegraph Peak (8985') stands as the crowning glory of the celebrated Three T's, with Thunder Mountain (8587') to its north, and Timber Mountain (8303') to its south. This trio of peaks treats you to some of the most superb high country in the San Gabriels. For this hike, you'll be attaining just two of the Three T's, Thunder and Telegraph. Walk the dirt road from Manker Flat 3.6 miles to Baldy Notch. Pick up the trail straight ahead on east edge of the notch and follow the road south 1.5 miles to the marked Three T's trailhead (on the west ridge .10 mile below the summit of Thunder Mt.). Descend southeast into the Cucamonga Wilderness using the single-track trail to the saddle then follow the trail as it steeply climbs the northwest face of Telegraph to the ridge, 1.2 miles. Turn left (east) at the signed trail and climb the ridge .25 mile to Telegraph. You can cut 3.6 or 7.2 miles from your hike by riding the ski lift up and/or down, weekends and holidays.

Great hike. A bit steep the last 1/4 mile to the peak but well worth the effort.

Operation on Target - 2018. We used this Peak to signal other mountain tops using mirrors. I have never sweated so much. We didn’t ride the ski lift. It was operating on our way back. Views were great. We saw the tops of Cucamonga, Bighorn , and Ontario Peak. Started at 5:45am and reached the top at 9:05am. Great hike!

Great final peak to this at Thunder Mountain. Very remote with incredible views

Great hike with beautiful views. We made sure to go to both peaks since the trail doesn't go all the way to Thunder Mountain peak. There is an elevation sign there right near the top of the slope and it's a great place for pictures. I was having a rough day so it was a little harder for me then usual, but for my sis it was a breeze. We clocked it at a little over 13 miles.

Awesome climb! Quite beautiful and well worth the day.

Monday, June 05, 2017

This trail has some of the best views of the San Gabriels that I've ever seen (I've been on 40+ trails in the range). We took the ski lift to the notch from Manker Flat and the road down. It saved us about 3 miles. The road isn't very interesting, so next time I might take the lift up and down, but add Timber to the journey and complete the Three T's (Thunder, Telegraph, and Timber). Watch out for rattlesnakes in the sections that are single track. We saw two the day we went. The first was hiding in a Manzanita bush at the beginning of the ascent to Telegraph. The second was on a log near the final .25 mile to the summit. I spotted the snake on the log from a distance, but I almost stepped on the one in the Manzanita bush. Be cautious when you walk next to Manzanita bushes; they're nearly impossible to see through.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Made it all the way to Thunder Mountain peak. Still some snow on the trail. My two sons and I were able to make it with boots and trekking poles.

Saturday, December 31, 2016

What an awesome hike today. Proud to have joined Lesley and other SoCal Hikers for a Memorial Hike in honor of Craig Cambras. Beautiful day for this hike.

Monday, July 18, 2016

I did the telegram pic. Via ice house , I did all of the three pic. I went all to Mt Baldy Natch, and then ask for right to come back to the icehouse, it was really nice the weather was perfect.

Monday, November 07, 2011

Hiked this as part of the Three T's. Great trail and it was a ghost town when I was there. There was freezing cold wind and clear as a bell. Great day!

recorded thunder mountain