Telegraph Peak via Manker Flat and Baldy Notch

Telegraph Peak via Manker Flat and Baldy Notch is a 11.8 mile out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Splendid high country, wilderness, and breathtaking peak with a 360-degree view Telegraph Peak (8985') stands as the crowning glory of the celebrated Three T's, with Thunder Mountain (8587') to its north, and Timber Mountain (8303') to its south. This trio of peaks treats you to some of the most superb high country in the San Gabriels. For this hike, you'll be attaining just two of the Three T's, Thunder and Telegraph. Walk the dirt road from Manker Flat 3.6 miles to Baldy Notch. Pick up the trail straight ahead on east edge of the notch and follow the road south 1.5 miles to the marked Three T's trailhead (on the west ridge .10 mile below the summit of Thunder Mt.). Descend southeast into the Cucamonga Wilderness using the single-track trail to the saddle then follow the trail as it steeply climbs the northwest face of Telegraph to the ridge, 1.2 miles. Turn left (east) at the signed trail and climb the ridge .25 mile to Telegraph. You can cut 3.6 or 7.2 miles from your hike by riding the ski lift up and/or down, weekends and holidays.

This trail has some of the best views of the San Gabriels that I've ever seen (I've been on 40+ trails in the range). We took the ski lift to the notch from Manker Flat and the road down. It saved us about 3 miles. The road isn't very interesting, so next time I might take the lift up and down, but add Timber to the journey and complete the Three T's (Thunder, Telegraph, and Timber). Watch out for rattlesnakes in the sections that are single track. We saw two the day we went. The first was hiding in a Manzanita bush at the beginning of the ascent to Telegraph. The second was on a log near the final .25 mile to the summit. I spotted the snake on the log from a distance, but I almost stepped on the one in the Manzanita bush. Be cautious when you walk next to Manzanita bushes; they're nearly impossible to see through.

Made it all the way to Thunder Mountain peak. Still some snow on the trail. My two sons and I were able to make it with boots and trekking poles.

What an awesome hike today. Proud to have joined Lesley and other SoCal Hikers for a Memorial Hike in honor of Craig Cambras. Beautiful day for this hike.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Monday, August 08, 2016

Monday, July 18, 2016

Monday, July 18, 2016

I did the telegram pic. Via ice house , I did all of the three pic. I went all to Mt Baldy Natch, and then ask for right to come back to the icehouse, it was really nice the weather was perfect.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Monday, November 07, 2011

Hiked this as part of the Three T's. Great trail and it was a ghost town when I was there. There was freezing cold wind and clear as a bell. Great day!