Tehachapi Mountain Trail

Tehachapi Mountain Trail is a 4.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tehachapi, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,994 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Last quarter-mile up to the actual peak on private property.

Well maintained trail which in some places overlaps a logging road. Lots of wildlife to see including rare species like Sulphur Buckwheat. Gets steeper as you get further up the trail. Nice views when you get closer to the summit!

Great early day hike this time of year. Was quite warm by the time we descended. Wonderful breezes throughout the hike and shady spots on trail helped. Make sure to carry h2o with you!!! Trail was quite dusty with lots of loose ankle twisting rocks to dodge due to the recent work of clearing the blow downs and knock downs from this past winter. And everyone’s reviews are correct the last .88 is a workout!! Even the initial 1.5 was strenuous. The views at different switchbacks are excellent as well. Our snack spot overlooked Tehachapi and it’s valley. Lots of flys buzz bombing us, they seemed to enjoy the anti bug spray we applied before we headed up. The trail is 85% uphill with a few level spots at the switchbacks. Pace yourself for the end. It’s worth it.

private property

Starts out fairly easy, but the last mile is steep and the dirt is very loose. Well worth it if you get to the top though! The last 1/4 mile or so is labeled private property but I didn’t see anyone up there policing the trail.

Great hike with my three year old. We alternated between him walking and me carrying him. The views were incredible but the only downside was the obstructed views from the summit due to the trees. I would definitely do it again.

I would definitely rate this one as difficult (I'm 34, in good shape, and an experienced hiker). It wasn't especially long but the last .88 mile is unusually steep (also tricky downhill--incline, gravel, and loose rocks). I didn't see any reason that the trail should go straight up the mountain and think they really should have made it with some switchbacks. That said, it was a beautiful hike and you really feel like you've earned it when you get to the top.

private property

great experience for my first hike. will be back again. beautiful scenery.

This is not a moderate trail - it is a difficult climb! But, the physical effort is well worth the views!

Gorgeous hike and worth it but as many have said before....the last mile is no joke! As long as you are expecting it, it’s VERY doable. Plenty of bugs so bring spray for sure. The views are unreal. Highly recommend!!

last .8 is really tough, but good. the rest is a fire road, but good views. saw a bear in the picnic area when we arrived....

This trail is a must do! Steady incline until last .88, then it was difficult! The views at sunset are well worth the climb. I recommend sticks for the descent.

Awesome views, beautiful foliage. Definitely a workout, especially that last bit. So worth it.

that last .88 though...wow! the views are great , but the bugs were pretty intense. just a word of advice about half way go to the left of the log to avoid a astronomical nest of bugs! will do again

Great, albeit, strenuous hike. It is uphill the entire way out and, as others have mentioned, that last .8 8 miles is a b!!!h! ! There were still spots of snow the last bit of the hike but nothing that created an issue. There is lots of shade but I would still suggest a hat and sunscreen. The trail is not well marked. I wasn't positive I was on the correct trail until I came to the sign letting me know the trail ended in .88 miles. It is a wide, comfortable trail though with solid footing. This was my first hike on this trail and I will certainly be back. The views are fantastic.

Really pretty views. Mostly shaded. Very visible trailhead from the street. Street parking available. Dog friendly. Some slight snow toward top of trail but almost gone. Really enjoyable moderate hike!

Walk the bug trail

I went to hike this trail today for the first time with my girlfriend and my dog and we had such a great time. I loved seeing my dog run around and exploring the new scents and picking up pine cones lol. The hike itself is pretty strenuous. Its pretty much uphill from beginning to end and the last mile is pretty intense. I loved the views and the fresh smell of pine in the air. All the snow has melted away and the whole trail is shaded densely the whole way with oak groves and pine trees. This trail isn’t long but its very intense. We will definitely be back soon.

Great hike to take the family on. True peak is unavailable since on private property passed the downed wire fence. Peak sign in box was moved to crop of rocks before the fence

private property

Great hike, multiple beautiful vistas of the valley. Pretty steep hike and, like the other comments said, the last .88 miles are killer. It gets a little hard to find the trail right now because there is still snow at around .5-.3 miles to the peak; this is around the same place that it becomes private property. The snow makes it very icy right now, make sure to bring the right gear. Very rewarding when you get to the top though.

Love this hike. Nice and easy until that last 2.5 miles is killer though! Straight up! I took the dog and she loved it too ☺️. Lots of trails in the beginning, not sure if they lead to the same spot.

I love this day hike trail. I did not expect much from Tehachapi, but after thoroughly exploring it, it was quite busting with things to do. I was interested in Tehachapi Mountain Park and hiking the peak. It was a pretty well kept trail, just that there are so many off shooting trails that got me confused on which one to take. Once I was on the right path, there was a bunch of switch backs and a straight shot up to the peak. Unfortunately, at the time I went, the majority of the upper trail was covered in snow making it extremely difficult to get to the top. Other than the confusing trails and the snow, it was a wonderful hike.