Tehachapi Mountain Trail

Tehachapi Mountain Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tehachapi, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1994 feet

42 minutes ago

Decent hike. As others stated, last .88 miles super uphill. You’ll come to a split towards the top.. when you get to the barb wire and private property signs, just go around it. The top is mostly covered in trees, so there’s earlier stops for better views. Temperature dropped about 12 degrees from the start to the top.

Really easily accessible hike in Tehachapi Mtn Park. The first 1.8 miles or so are on a reasonable incline, then the last .88 miles gets steep as others have said. Took me 45 minutes to reach the steep summit push, then another 45 minutes to the peak. Glad I brought a jacket as it was cool and really windy on top.
Nice, surprisingly challenging hike that I’d do again. Best part is that it’s dog friendly!

Definitely worth it! Don’t give up, keep going! For a beginner it was hard at all!!

Trail hiked and completed on Tuesday, May 29, 2018, start time at 0918 hours, summited at 1054 hours, and end time at 1240 hours. First of all, the amount of flying insects in the parking lot should have been a good indication that a few spritz of bug spray wasn't going to suffice. The annoying insects launched an assault from flying all around to full on kamikaze straight into the mouth! The trail begins at an incline and does not let up until mile marker 2.1; be cautious that there are several trails and you may need to reference your navigation a little more than you think. If you see my recording, I got lost at this point going up and coming down! Take it seriously that the last .88 miles, will have you out of breath, (made me experience an oxymoron, I thought I was hyperventilating and having an asthma attack at the same time; I don't even have Asthma! My quads were feeling that burn! There is no lack of trails, it's just they are all close together. My personal opinion, (based on no fitness level), this hike was hard. There is a lack of distance, however, the incline is not necessarily gradual and a rather punishing one! Also, I used 1 liter of my 2 liter water pack in the first 2 miles, then I used up another good chunk at the summit! Don't let this baby punisher fool you.

Great area to hike and take pics. Many trails in the area. Took my dog and had a great time. Beautiful area.

My first “moderate” rated hike with AllTrails. First 2/3 of trail was pretty gradual incline. As a newbie, I took it at a bit of a slow pace but I definitely was painfully surprised by the last .88. It was a fight, but worthwhile trail to finish for me. If you’re looking for inclines and feeling really in the woods, this a solid trail for the area.

The last .88 miles is no joke! Not too much snow at the top small patches. Make sure you stay left on the way down otherwise you’ll go into private property.

couldn't make it to the top because of the snow but other than that I'll definitely come back

Really good trail. Easy to follow track with only a little bit of snow near the top.

Beautiful hike! If you enjoy hiking through the snow then I would definitely suggest this trail for this time of year. Beautiful scenery and light snow was falling down through the whole hike. Definitely one I would do again.

Got some snow in So.Cal. had to get up there. Harder than I thought but all n all a great trail, great day.

This trail was awesome! I was a bit hesitant to do it as it’s much shorter than we usually try and hike but it’s a climb, especially the last .88 miles. We love to climb and the last bit was surprisingly tough, definitely not what we would consider moderate. The trail was busy and many folks didn’t know which way to go. Follow the road to the right. When you reach the top there is a sign to the peak which is a straight climb for .88 miles. Brought the hammock and enjoyed the views from the top. Will do again!

Beautiful trail this time of year. I hiked this is late January, and had to deal with snow 1-2 inches thick at the most to make it to the top. Beware that the trail gets steep once you get to the part beyond the main road. That portion of the hike is difficult, and may require a bit of scrambling. But the views are great, and the trail is not heavily frequented in the winter.

Beautiful but challenging if your out of shape. Couldn’t make it all the way. Wouldn’t call it moderate. Stopped at a nice spot with a homemade shack though and still enjoyed wonderful views. Definitely try again

Good views, nice hike with my dogs

Beautiful well maintained trail. Tall trees all around and great views.

Great trail system with various options. I️ stayed on main service road, wide and fairly level minimal potholes. Enjoyed the changing views!

Great workout with pretty sweet views. Not sure how some people lost the trail on the way down? Unless there is snow, the trail is easy to follow both ways.

great hike, last mile is the part you will be sweating on but shade and breeze makes it bearable. the view and the relative solitude of such an accessible trail make it very satisfying.

Hiked this today. It was awesome. Beautiful views and lots of shade. The last part of the hike definitely has a pretty good grade to it. Some trekking poles would help.

Good hike. Pretty steep at the end. Lots of shade.

This trails views were awesome. Although the last section of the trail is quite steep and will test your endurance and conditioning. Definitely worth the trek.

nice challenge trail for begginers

Went with my husband, 2 children (ages 6&7) and father.
Made it about 3/4 of the way before my pregnant butt tired out too much to make it to the end.
Absolutely beautiful hike, lots of trees to help provide shade and my kids really enjoyed the hike as well which was surprising (no complaining).
Pretty steep, thought it was more of a flat trail but enjoyed the challenge. Will definitely be going again with all the kiddos once the baby is born :) hopefully we'll make it all the way to the top !

My wife and I had come here to go trail running/hiking on Sunday July 30, 2017. The last .88 miles is SUPER steep. We were about 1/4 the way up that last bit and my wife had a seizure. I managed to catch her head when she fell back and her CamelBak padder her back, so she didn't get injured. It was pretty precarious trying to keep her from falling farther down the hill and dealing with post-ictal behavior.

There was a gentleman nearby who was running towards us to assist. I yelled to him to not run up to us. My wife has a history of epilepsy, and I didn't want this man to get his adrenaline pumping running up to us only to have us not really need help. I didn't mean to sound rude or ungrateful to the man, but I'm sure I did.

If he ever reads this, I hope he knows we do appreciate his willingness to help strangers. I've just dealt with this kind of thing enough that when a person there who may not be trained or accustomed to witnessing these types of events, they tend freak out a bit. In hindsight I shouldn't have sounded so blunt towards him. Regardless, I'm thankful for his willingness to help strangers.

After she finished seizing and started to come to, I was able to carry her back down to the main trail where it was flat. After she finished coming to we were able to walk the 2 miles back to the car. I had hoped we would run into the gentleman on the way down to say thank you, but we did not.

Regarding the trail itself, though.... it's beautiful, and pretty steep for running. You'll definitely get a workout.

Three of us went on this hike. I give it only 2

It's a climb. as stated before it gets even steeper toward the peak. the trail extending past the peak ends with a private property sign, but with the incredible views at the peak it's worth just stopping there and heading down. I would say it's borderline"hard" with the steep incline.

Fun hike. Stared at 8.30 am and most the way up to the top was shaded. The last 0.9 miles were extremely steep - steepest I've ever hiked. Made it to the top by 9:35 am and my legs were jelly. Views from the top were just so so due to all the trees. The way down was much sunnier...I'm glad I got there early.

Sunday, June 11, 2017