Tecolote Canyon Trail

Tecolote Canyon Trail is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near San Diego, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Fun easy morning trail

I did this hike on a Tuesday afternoon and the trail was pretty empty. It's a great hike in the middle of the city. The first half is fairly flat with a few optional side trails, and the second half was full of some steep and challenging hills with great views from the top.

nice area. Some parts be very wary during rattlesnake season

This was an amazing trail.. there are many different trails to take on.

Nice local trail...I walked the trail and got a decent sweat in on the second half. Decent views

Very interesting trail! View is awesome once you reach the top. Definitely must go trail!

Very well kept trail!

Great day!

A good trail with the option to walk up and down some massive hills.

Starts off easy gets really challenging after the first mile! Great hike for your butt

A decent outing; views of the golf course and California landscape. Power & gas lines running through so it’s not a nature retreat kind of hike. It’s nice for an easy close way to be outside; fun to explore the canyon.

Starts easy by nature trail then transitions to moderate.

About halfway through trail is closed but there are quite a few side trails. Great views.

I thought it was easy hike

This trail should be marked moderate, it is not an easy hike.

The first mile-ish is easy, the rest of the hike is moderate. Going the route provided by AllTrails, the way back is extremely steep- those not in good shape should avoid the gullies, so maybe do an out-and-back from the halfway point rather than the full loop.

awesome.... but I would say it was a moderate hike.

Fun hills and all kinds of terrain. No roots, easy pace.

Great trail for running the doggie, only saw a couple bikers. Great shade!

be careful. the second half is hilly.

Shady enough, secluded enough, for a backyard trail, it's amazing.

I hiked with my mother in law and wife, whom was carrying our two year old on a carrier the entire time. I thought the hike was moderate. as for them, they thought it was difficult. I will say though, those hills will get you if you are not a frequent hiker. I, for one, am not a frequent hiker, but do consider myself a monkey. So the hills we're relatively easy although really challenging because of how steep they were. Good hike and decent scenery too.

Typical San Diego Canyon. Nothing exciting to look at and lots of river rock to roll your ankle on. Trails aren't well marked so we ended up taking the wrong one back to the parking lot.

If you stay on service road it is a great work out, not for the beginner, love this hike, makes me work hard and sweat

I have sort of a mixed review as there is some good, some not so good. This is a loop as depicted, however the right fork is actually a service road and not a trail according the nice lady at the Nature Center building situated at the trail junction. If you take that loop, be forewarned there are some up and down hills, several of them in actual fact. And it's the downhills that are potentially hazardous as they are steep in places. I had trekking pools which makes it a bit easier but I ran into two college football athletes and one of them took a spill, though I didn't see it when it happened. So if you go right at the fork, just know what you are getting into. Since it's a straight road, you can see what's in front of you. It's the better route if you want a workout. If you don't have trekking pools, I would use the brush to grab on the downhills. I just took it slow and careful and made certain I did not fall.

The other thing I don't like about this trail is you really feel the city around you. From the SDG&E natural gas pipeline that runs through the canyon to the electrical power lines that produce an audible hum in places and the sound of golfers on the course adjacent to the trail it just doesn't seem like nature. But I did happen to spot two errant golf balls on the trail!

On the other hand there are places where it's quite a nice hike. And I like hikes that are long enough so I know I got some good exercise. My Garmin sports watch clocked it as 5.3+ miles, but I also went beyond the loop junction, which goes across a creek (find the dry crossing by the rocks to the left of the creek) and ends up a road at which point I turned around (see photos I posted with has maps). I took the loop back which is mostly flat and picturesque in places and that was very pleasant.

Overall I give it a 4 but if it took half star ratings, I'd make it 3.5.

Live nearby and run it frequently. If you drop in on Genesee heading W, you will have about 40% of your trip under light canopy. It's mostly rocky but worn paths with small to large hills depending on your route. I like it for shorter 3-5 mile runs.

Nice trail hidden in the middle of the city. Quite a bit of noise from the power lines in some spots.

I hiked the canyon at 10am, I own a husky and we could not finish the hike. Though the temps said 68 degrees in the parking lot. There are many places along the trail that are recessed and do not have air flow..making it hotter than the devil's crotch in some places. My dog is a well seasoned hiker, is regularly brushed every 3 days, is almost 2yrs, loves the outdoors, and he was having a hard time. We stopped frequently for water breaks, but it was not enough. I did not feel the risk to my dog overheating was worth finishing the trail. I STRONGLY do not recommend starting this hike after 9am on a nice day in june even with plenty of breeze in the parking lot and bringing water. We got about 90% done and turned back. I will attempt this hike again either early in the morning (8am) or late in the evening as the sun is going down.

Very pleasant, fun and I say to hike.

This is the perfect trail I like to go with my dogs on weekdays mornings. Not very challenging, but beautiful and only 10 minutes from home