Tarwater Trail Loop

Tarwater Trail Loop is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near La Honda, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is one of the better redwood hikes in the San Francisco Bay Area -- which is nice because not so long there was no forest left here: almost all of it had been clear-cut. The second-growth redwoods at Pescadero Creek County Park demonstrate a forest's uncanny ability to regenerate itself, if people give it the chance. Several groves of skinny young redwoods are rapidly reclaiming this section of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Best time to go: Since this is mostly shady forest walking, it's a good escape from the heat in the summer. Spring wildflower season is always gorgeous and even the rainy season will be pretty nice in the redwoods.

Dogs OK, but I would not recommend for kids as the way back is nonstop uphill. I went back on the camp ___ Rd. I missed that I had to walk a little further on the camp Rd to pick up the tar water trail for the way back. I finished quicker, but missed half the trail. First half of trail was lovely.

Nice remote trailhead to cut down on crowds. Some of the Trail names have changed and there is an excellent trail signage map system through the county parks in this area. One leg of the featured loop is closed to mud slides so you can do an out and back on Tarwater or other loops that are longer than this hike. Nice mix of meadows and forests. Plenty of wildflowers!

If you are allergic to poison oaks, do not come here.

Monday, March 28, 2016

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Monday, February 01, 2016

Hiked in Jan right after a rain so the trail was muddy about 1/3 of the distance. Only saw 3 other people. Extended it just a bit to see part of Pomponio trail, so about 6 total miles and 3 hours, including stops to take several pics. So about 2.5 hours hiking time. But I'm writing this review to notify everyone that a lot of the trails in the area have been renamed. So part of what used to be the Tarwater trail is now the Shingle Mill trail. But the trailhead has a nice map and they've published a new one dated Nov 2015. The trail junctions have new signs and they are number coded. Kudos to the county for these new signs. Everyone should go to this new system. Takes a lot of doubt out of "where are we?"

Wednesday, October 07, 2015

Fun trail! The open rolling meadows are gorgeous, we came across an abandoned cabin which was my favorite part. Gigantic redwood tree blew my mind - visiting from the Midwest and have never seen a tree so mesmerizing!!
The jail was really creepy - would be fun to do this around Halloween. We didn't walk all the way back, it appears to be in use for some other reason. A fun, eclectic hike!

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Saturday, May 09, 2015

Friday, May 01, 2015

Went here a couple of weeks ago with the husband. We got as far as the ruined mill when we came across where the trail was now closed. Would have liked to see the rest. There is an absolutely huuuuge redwood along the trail here. It's so large it has another tree growing inside the hollowed out base of the tree. The trail was in good condition, but I was a bit clumsy and rolled my ankle. Fortunately, it didn't keep me from finishing the hike.
The road out here feels very off the beaten path. It's paved, but only large enough for one car at a time. Fortunately we didn't meet any other cars coming in or going out. I was also glad we had an SUV, because some of the ruts in the pavement were deep.
There is no bathroom available at the trailhead. We stopped at another open space area nearby to use the facilities there.

Sunday, March 15, 2015