Tall Trees Grove: Tall Trees Loop Trail

Tall Trees Grove: Tall Trees Loop Trail is a 3.5 mile loop trail located near Orick, California that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips.

Nice trail. The walk back up is a bit challenging for those not used to uphill but is definitely doable.

Several switchbacks down. And then some more elevation loss. The loop is really cool and the scenery is amazing. The climb back up makes you sweat a little, but overall an amazing hike.

Beautiful EASY hike and definitely worth the trek down into the grove! 1.5 miles down to the grove and a 1.2 mile loop made for a really awesome hike!

Went in the morning while there was still mist, makes its just a little more magical.

A wet hike but a beautiful one!! Was in constant awe of all the giants!

Sunday, June 12, 2016

We did this hike 25 years ago and again this week- it is as amazing now as the impression it made the first time. Brought our 13 and 16 year old girls and they rate this as one of their favorite hikes in the area, despite the climb out! Beautiful at the bottom and some great views going both up and down. The redwoods are a truly magical place in my book!

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Did the loop after hiking Redwood Creek Trail. Makes a great backpacking trip.

Friday, November 13, 2015

We enjoyed our time very much, really neat place.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Great little hike! Quite a few people on it, especially for a Monday. But it was super pretty and really well maintained. All ages appropriate. There is a bit of elevation loss (which means gain on the way out!) but not bad. Saw kids and adults of all ages on it :) defiantly a good pick!

Friday, May 08, 2015

This is one of my absolute favorite hikes. As a local, I've seen quite a bit of the surrounding areas, and this one is my favorite. I only saw one other couple on the trail which is amazing and rare. You must gain a permit from the Kuchel Visitor Center and receive a password to open up the gate. Make sure you find the access to Redwood Creek! It was beautiful when i went in early April, and was able to soak my feet in the cool waters! My one recommendation, bring water... I left mine in the car but wished i had it with me. :) My mistake. Enjoy!!

Monday, March 30, 2015

You have to get a permit at the Kuchel visitor center and they will give you a passcode which will open a locked gate. It requires a drive through a winding road, but once at the trail entrance, it's only ~1.5 mile down to the Tall Trees Grove and there is a 1 mile loop trail there and also access to Redwood Creek.

Thursday, March 20, 2014

We have walked this trail twice in five years. It's downhill to get to the Tall Trees, and uphill out; however, it's all so beautiful that you hardly think of the climb! They filmed parts of the EWOK scene from Star Wars here, and I swear you can almost see the little creatures! You can also see on some of the trees the water line from the 1964 flooding. There are stinging nettles in places, so watch out for them. It is a worthwhile trip, with Redwood Creek and the mammoth Redwood.
To visit the grove you first have to get a free permit from Kuchel Information Center, just south of Orick. The permit includes a parking pass and a gate combination. A limited number of permits are available each day, but it's unusual for them to run out.