Tall Trees Grove Loop Trail

Tall Trees Grove Loop Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Trinidad, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

old growth

Nice hike through a pretty remote part of Redwood National Park. To gain access to the trailhead you need to stop by the Kuchel visitor center on the coast to get a pass and the combination to the lock on the access gate. It is about 7 miles up to the gate from 101 and about 6 miles down to the trailhead from the gate. The little extra effort is worth it. The trail runs gently down to the Redwood River through some amazing groves of huge trees. It is about 1.5 miles down, then there is a 1 mile flat loop at the bottom with really interesting flora along with more huge trees.

Very enjoyable hike through sparse but tall redwoods and would be better done in the summer That way you could enjoy Redwood Creek at the bottom. I was surprised at the amount of guys illegally harvesting mushrooms here. The lock at the gate went bad so the couple ahead of me called a Ranger to let us out so we were able to escape. The trail is a hassle to get to and do....34 mile round trip from where you get the pass. Will definitely go back and do Redwood Creek Trail as planned. Nearby Prairie Creek has much better trails and no permit needed...

Don't forget to grab a permit! I actually got mine in Crescent City before I left the area. READ THE DIRECTIONS on the slip they give you on how to open the lock! Beautiful, relaxing hike. Not a ton of people - so it's a great place to connect with nature. Enjoy :)

First get the permit. Drive to the trail, and park. Enjoy the view and scenery as you stroll down to the Tall Trees Loop Trail. You can also see the second largest tree on this path but its unmarked. Ask about it at the visitor center. It was hugeeeeee. Everything was beautiful. I saw lot of ferns, banana slugs, and pacific sandband. :)

You need to get a permit at the visitor center to access the area. We got there at 8:45 and several people were waiting in line but there was plenty to go around.

Rarely do you get a simple hike with these sort of views!! The hike was easy and we only saw 4 other groups/couples on the trail.

A can't miss if you plan to hike somewhere in the redwood forest!!

You have to obtain a lock code from the rangers station to use this trail. You can also get a backcountry camping permit from them as well to camp off to the side of the trail.

Whew. The hike out is a bear. Great view of large redwoods made it worth it. Quite a few mosquitos at both the trailhead and throughout the trail. I carried our two year old in the pack to save time. Saw a lot of tired and completely asleep kids who were on their way out.

This trail was our first stop during our Redwoods vacation. You must obtain a permit from the visitor's center before heading out on the hike. You'll understand why the park limits the number of cars for this hike when you get to the trail head. It's a packed parking area. The trail itself is not very difficult and the loop at the bottom has many points of interest. There are benches for those that need to rest their feet. Going back to the top of the trail head after you're done hiking the loop is moderate, but very doable for all different skill levels.

From here you can find Hyperion. Was tricky, but you can figure it out if you do some research. Be nice to the tallest tree in the world when you get there. ✌

Awesome trail! Excellent camping along the redwood creek. Will remember this place for a lifetime!

Nice trail. The walk back up is a bit challenging for those not used to uphill but is definitely doable.

Several switchbacks down. And then some more elevation loss. The loop is really cool and the scenery is amazing. The climb back up makes you sweat a little, but overall an amazing hike.

Beautiful EASY hike and definitely worth the trek down into the grove! 1.5 miles down to the grove and a 1.2 mile loop made for a really awesome hike!

Went in the morning while there was still mist, makes its just a little more magical.

Got there early in the morning (9ish) and the mist was still there which made the experience more mystical. By the time we made out way back to the top the mist had lifted and it kinda lost that touch, but still beautiful.

Monday, December 05, 2016

A wet hike but a beautiful one!! Was in constant awe of all the giants!

Sunday, June 12, 2016

We did this hike 25 years ago and again this week- it is as amazing now as the impression it made the first time. Brought our 13 and 16 year old girls and they rate this as one of their favorite hikes in the area, despite the climb out! Beautiful at the bottom and some great views going both up and down. The redwoods are a truly magical place in my book!

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Did the loop after hiking Redwood Creek Trail. Makes a great backpacking trip.

Friday, November 13, 2015

We enjoyed our time very much, really neat place.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Great little hike! Quite a few people on it, especially for a Monday. But it was super pretty and really well maintained. All ages appropriate. There is a bit of elevation loss (which means gain on the way out!) but not bad. Saw kids and adults of all ages on it :) defiantly a good pick!

Friday, May 08, 2015

This is one of my absolute favorite hikes. As a local, I've seen quite a bit of the surrounding areas, and this one is my favorite. I only saw one other couple on the trail which is amazing and rare. You must gain a permit from the Kuchel Visitor Center and receive a password to open up the gate. Make sure you find the access to Redwood Creek! It was beautiful when i went in early April, and was able to soak my feet in the cool waters! My one recommendation, bring water... I left mine in the car but wished i had it with me. :) My mistake. Enjoy!!