Learn more

Tall Trees Grove Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(328)
Redwood National Park

Tall Trees Grove Loop Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Trinidad, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 748 feet Route Type: Loop

Nice hike through a pretty remote part of Redwood National Park. To gain access to the trailhead you need to stop by the Kuchel visitor center on the coast to get a pass and the combination to the lock on the access gate. It is about 7 miles up to the gate from 101 and about 6 miles down to the trailhead from the gate. The little extra effort is worth it. The trail runs gently down to the Redwood River through some amazing groves of huge trees. It is about 1.5 miles down, then there is a 1 mile flat loop at the bottom with really interesting flora along with more huge trees.

27 minutes ago

The trail itself was incredible and deserves 5 stars, but the reason I gave 4 stars is because of how unorganized obtaining a permit was. I applied in advance like the website says (because of COVID), received the confirmation email, but never received the actual permit. We were in the park (camped the night before hiking) with very limited service and when I finally got service I sent an email asking about the permit and FINALLY they replied with the permit and gate code. No apologies for the delay, and I was supposed to receive the permit the day before the hike so that was super annoying to have to reach out to them and not get it until the morning of hiking.

Lots of mosquitoes in the parking lot but none on the trail. Got bit three times before we even started hiking. The grove is amazing. Redwood Creek was warm and low enough to cross to do some exploring on the other side.

I could not do the trail, I thought I would be able to get the permit the day of... but due to COVID-19 the kuchel location for a permit is closed. You have to get the permit online on their website and have to request it at least 48hrs in advance. They are only accepting 50 applications a day for the time being.

Holy Hell! LOTS of Mosquitos! The gravel "road" has dozens of washboards and potholes. It's not safe to travel more than 20 mph on this road. We had to get a permit, before being granted the "access" code. The trees are lovely, but it there are easier places to get to, with just as many trees. All told, this hike took about 6+ hours (2 hours were spent on travel the trailhead and logistics to gain an access code) If you're pressed for time, skip this trail and go to Drurry B. Newton parkway instead.

Nice trail, underwhelming after having to get a permit and code but worth it. There’s a nice stream you can wade in if I knew I would have worn a swimsuit. I would rate it as easy I saw a couple with a stroller and they seemed fine.

Loved the majestic beauty of the Tall Trees Trail. Super easy. Even saw a bear on our drive in.

You can pretty much drive through this one. I was in the area coming back from Lost coast so decided to check it out. Did a short hike jus to see the tall trees and explore a bit.

Amazing hike! Beautiful and fun and unique and fantastic! Make sure to set aside at least 4 hours for enjoying your surroundings!

Loved it! Dirt road was very easy to navigate/drive in mid February.

I hiked when it was very rainy but it didn’t seem to impact the trail. The trail is very well maintained. The GPS (via AllTrails) told me a few times that I was off trail when I was not.

Gorgeous! Steep downhill (many switchbacks) to the river and the loop, which were both secluded and quiet. Great hike to see the Redwoods!

Very pretty, I liked the remoteness best. I hardly saw anybody else there. However, it was very windy and I heard a giant fall which was very unnerving. I hiked quickly towards the trailhead after that. Pretty cool though...

My 3rd time on this trial. It’s majestic. Really pretty. You want to see beautiful Redwoods? Then this is the trail for you. Enjoy.

Best trail in the entire park if you want the true experience of the Redwoods. With a free permit you can camp along redwood creek for Free. The only place in the redwoods for dispersed camping.

Magnificent trail! We did have a mountain lion cut across our path on the drive down the winding logging road leading to the trail head. It moved swiftly across the road and was into the trees in a single bound. Looked about mid sized. Felt a pinch of trepidation, but the grandeur and sights of the redwood trees, once we started out on the trailhead very quickly erased any concerns. So much to see and experience! We saw a huge “tree cricket” within the walls of a massive carved out redwood belly, defined to me by a young boy hiking thru with his family. Another fun spot was around post 14 where a behemoth redwood tree was fallen and bent, stretched out to a riverbank and made a natural fun bridge to scale out to the river. A great place to pause for refreshment and watch lots of tiny frogs hopping from stones around and into the flowing river creek. Someone told us that he camped the evening before and saw sea otters lounging on the bank of the creek. The trail elevation is U-shaped, down into the loop, levels around it and then returns back up. A nice little workout, moderately challenging, and like I said, exquisitely beautiful throughout. Very serene and peaceful.

The trail was in great shape and the loop at the bottom was worth the hike back up. The loop is where the really majestic, old redwoods can be found. It’s a great area to explore. The trek back to the lot is mostly uphill, but nothing alarming for the average hiker.

The trail head starts about 7 miles into the road from the front gate, make sure you register your vehicle (free) at the Prairie Visitor Center off the 101. One of the most aromatic trails I’ve been on, the red wood trees are giant, some as wide as 20 feet! We crossed the river at the middle of the loop and went further into the redwood trail then turned back and got back onto the rest of the loop.

Actually 4 miles. My gps tracked 5 for miles. Great trail for the redwoods and solitude. Access was easy. Stop by the visitor center and they are more than happy to give you the info. Road to the trailhead is well maintained and accessible via sedan. Such an amazing hike

I think to truly appreciate this trail, you need to get a backcountry camping permit and camp along the creek. It is so peaceful and when I went late June, the weather was perfect. We watched the mist evaporate off in the early morning and enjoyed the late afternoon breeze off the ocean. We think we saw a marbled murrelet early one evening and saw otters swimming about another morning. No mountain lions or bears were sighted, thankfully. ;)

Few people, amazing old growth trees, quiet commune with nature like going back in history and time.

The trail is 6 miles past a locked gait at the main road down a well graded gravel road . Beautiful, massive trees, fern covered flats, easy trail with moderate climb in short segments. Rhododendron along the trail. Lots of woodpecker activity but none seen. The solitude and total quiet make this a top quality trail . they ticket 50 per day, we crossed paths with 14 people total. We were ticketed #9 at 9:45 am so no rush to get to the ranger station.

It's a beautiful trail. The trees are tall but not as big in girth as those elsewhere.

Pretty great close up views of the Redwoods! Not too tough in or out. We chickened out after a Ranger gave us a rundown of how Mountain Lion attacks work and we both got bit by the same deer fly lol. Seriously not likely we were in any danger but the solitude of the trail gave us the heebies after 6 days of woodland hiking.

Loved this trail. Good elevation change but smooth and a nice climb in huge trees.

better trails for less incline are present. those are more impressive. the trees even though tall aren't that impressive on the trail

Wonderful hike well worth the effort. Was surprised there were no bugs considering all the foliage. Would highly recommend.

so so many 5 stars reviews, but truth is it isnt worth the hassle. there are more and better trees along the highway by Jedediah State Park.