Tahquitz Peak via Devils Slide Trail

Tahquitz Peak via Devils Slide Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Historic fire-lookout, great views, incredible San Jacintos, loop opportunity. This is the most heavily used trail in The San Jacinto Wilderness, the parking lot is right on the border. You will see lots of people on the weekend, the trail quota fills up fast. You might see rangers on this trail, so do get a permit, this isn't the south ridge, or Marion Mountain, and if you're like me, you'll pass them on the way up. This is an elevation gainer, no question about it. You will know that you are climbing a peak. If you are a novice hiker, it will definitely border on strenuous, but the experienced hiker will rough it out in nothing flat. It takes me right around two hours to do it. It's a beautiful trail, though, and as long as no one is too obnoxious, you should enjoy relative peace and tranquility.

not anything like the sierras but amazing for down here. I wouldn't rate this moderate, it should be rated easy. although the incline is pretty significant in the first 2.5 miles, taking your time upon ascending will prevent you from getting overly tired.

Fire look-out was unoccupied but the deck was open. The views where oddly good given the usual summer haze.

This was my first time all the way to the ranger station, there are not words to describe it (You have to see it) in my first hike to Saddle Junction (over 18 years ago) I have my 4 years old son in my shoulders round trip, it was late and my wife didn’t want to keep going, this’s time I took my son (23 years already) and we really enjoy the trip, it was somehow emotional, because my son’s mother divorce me (without a reason) and she was missing in the trip. Check my pictures but better yet DO IT, you wouldn’t regret.

A lot of elevation gain and heavy traffic, but we'll marked and maintained. Great views along the way and a 360 view from the peak

The views from the fire lookout are just mesmerizing!
The trail is well kept and easy to follow!
The trail from beginning to end is absolutely beautiful.

Really enjoy this hike. It's not that difficult but great for intermediate hikers. Scenery is beautiful. You can do the loop to Red Tahquitz through Saddle Junction to make it a longer hike. Just love the scenery. The ranger station was closed for repair so couldn't walk up the stairs. When I got to parking lot at 7am there was only two cars there. When I got back down, and after passing about 50 people going up, the parking lot was full. Weekends, as with every LA area hike, get there early. You also need the American the Beautiful or Day Pass for parking and a permit to hike this trail which can be obtained in the town of Idyllwild about 2.6 miles before the trailhead. First 2 1/2 miles are the struggle and plenty of shade. Last 1.4 miles is pretty level or low uphill so once you get to junction with all the signs the hard work is over.

Great trail. Amazing views from the top. Well covered most of the hike. Good elevation from the start. It does get a bit busy but it’s a most do hike.

Great views from the peak!

We made it a couple of hundred yards away from the lookout and had to stop because we didn’t have poles or micro spikes. Incredible views throughout the hike. Can’t wait to do it again with the proper equipment.

Beautiful trail. The first half is a moderate uphill on the devil’s slide trail then you come to the junction to the PCT.
The trail was covered in snow which made it difficult on the final accent to the peak so plan accordingly.

Hiked to the look out 3/24/18. First half to Saddle Junction no snow, but after that there was snow all the way to the peak. Bring micro spikes, trekking poles, beanie & gloves unless you're a young(er) superstar! I saw many people who turned around because they didn't have the proper boots or traction (saw a girl wearing Vans slip on tennis shoes and no socks). This is my first time doing this hike and I loved it! The entire trail is so beautiful and picturesque, I was never bored!

Beautiful hike. I usually approach Tahquitz Peak from South Ridge Trail which IMHO is more challenging, especially the switchback push at the end. There was ice patches along the shady parts of trail — way before the saddle, and snow at the top. Micro spikes and pokes came in handy! A little windy here and there, otherwise was a gorgeous day. OH and one hour in I spotted a black bear paw track, about six inches in width. See pics!

Beautiful views and well kept trails!! A bit of ice at the top by the fire lookout but clear besides that.

Hiked this trail last Sunday, snow on the ground from beginning to end. Beautiful views and moderate elevation gain throughout. Hope to go again soon.

Beautiful views, not very crowded.

Hiked this trail up to the fire tower and was not disappointed. Long but easy trail; last 10 minutes to tower pretty steep but well worth it. Views are amazing and would definitely do it again.

Beautiful hike. Currently has snow at the top, in case you were unaware of that like I was. Weather was great in shorts and a t-shirt for the lower half, upper half was a little cold for that. Great hike in SoCal!

Hike today with my 8 year old son... beautiful hike, easy to follow trail. Beautiful view from the top. It took a total of just over 4 hours round trip. Weather in Idyllwild was mid 60s... we hiked in short sleeves and were comfortable, even though most of paths were shaded. Surprising not very crowded. A great way to spend New Years Day!

It's winter. But today I hiked to the Tahquitz fire lookout cabin via Devil's Slide out of Humber Park in shorts! And I wasn't the only one! Wonderful day! I have hiked to the same destination a few times before via south Ridge Trail. Today's route is definitely more trafficked--allows dogs whereas the other does not; also a lot shadier. Both are excellent. If you want a cooler route, take Devil's Slide; if you crave more sun, head up South Ridge. Happy hiking!

Hiked this today and I was the first and only one up before 10am. I passed four other hikers on my way down. Cold, windy day but made for a beautiful view at the lookout.

Awesome hike. Im a Bigfoot enthusiast and Tahquitz is an Indian word for Sasquatch or Mountain Ape.

it was a great hike definitely not the out of shape people, a significant elevation gain 95% of the elevation gain is on the way to the lookout, back down is really all downhill.

The hardest part was the devils slide part is uphill climb but my 7 year old did it we stopped at the junction or lunch then pushed to the peak the last half mile of the peak is tough and tight trail so if u have kids or pets be cautious.. we loved this hike and it was worth it!!!

Gorgeous views all around at the top! Outstandingly well-maintained and breathtaking trail. Apple’s Health app said 9 miles. Took me 5 hours, 3 going up and 2 going down. Took 3-4 5 minute breaks and many 1-2 minute breaks going up. I consider myself to be sorta-kinda-in-shape. Easy to get to, just take Ferndale all the way to the topmost parking lot if you can. Saddle Junction is beautiful by the way, and at the top you can talk to some cool volunteer fire look-out guys!

Great little hike. Make sure you have a parking pass for Humber park. That is where you will park and the trail head is. Amazing views of giant granite formations. Amazing tree coverage. Great getaway for tourists and San Diegans.

A very beautiful hike! The first 2.5 miles of Devil’s Slide Trail are a workout. Once you make it up to the junction, the rest of the trail is gentle and fun. You can climb the fire tower for stunning views and maybe even see all the way to Catalina. This is one of the best hikes in Idyllwild, so arrive early on summer weekends to find parking.

Super steep but super cool! Definitely coming back!

Great hike, 1st mile and last 1/2 has good elevation gain but not too bad. Gorgeous views. Busy trail but enough room for everyone. Weather gets cooler as you reach elevation.

great trail! the 1st and last mile or so have pretty good elevation climb. A Lot of the trail is shaded. definitely bring a light jacket you can take on and off. pick up your hiking pass at the ranger station. there's a stack of them available outside the doors, so you don't have to wait until 8 am when they open to grab one. they're free. adventure pass is $30 and you can get pretty much at any gas station. bring plenty of water and snacks. beautiful views to enjoy lunch from the top!

We got up early and hit the trail by 8 am! It was fantastic!! For this hike you need an ADVENTURE PASS! Get it in town before you go the trail head, you will also need a parking pass that you can get at any ranger station. Bring lots of water and enjoy the views!