Tahquitz Peak via Devils Slide Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(434)
San Jacinto Wilderness

Tahquitz Peak via Devils Slide Trail is a 8.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild-Pine Cove, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,375 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please note that the ranger station is currently closed due to COVID 19. Historic fire-lookout, great views, incredible San Jacintos, loop opportunity. This is the most heavily used trail in The San Jacinto Wilderness, the parking lot is right on the border. You will see lots of people on the weekend, the trail quota fills up fast. You might see rangers on this trail, so do get a permit, this isn't the south ridge, or Marion Mountain, and if you're like me, you'll pass them on the way up. This is an elevation gainer, no question about it. You will know that you are climbing a peak. If you are a novice hiker, it will definitely border on strenuous, but the experienced hiker will rough it out in nothing flat. It takes me right around two hours to do it. It's a beautiful trail, though, and as long as no one is too obnoxious, you should enjoy relative peace and tranquility.

Scenic drive to get to trailhead. First 2 miles are a bit of a climb but once you hit the saddle, its pretty smooth. Last little climb to the top has spectacular views and once you get to the fire lookout, you get a panoramic view of San Jacinto wilderness and Palm Springs.

Beautiful, well maintained trail with excellent views of Mt San Jacinto along the way. Having recently done Mt Baldy and San Gorgonio, I appreciated the fairly mellow grade of this one! We enjoyed a nice stop in Idyllwild after the hike - businesses there have been hit hard by fire, road closure, and covid, they need support!

Trail views were stunning the entire hike. Lots of shaded areas. No bugs:) Tahitz Peak was amazing with a 360 degree panorama. Goes down as one of our all time faves.

9.97mi, 2615ft, 3:39 moving. No problems parking on the Tuesday after Memorial Day Weekend, 5-26-2020. The hike up Devil's Slide was quiet, I only passed one couple between Saddle Junction and Tahquitz watchtower. Good trail conditions on the way up, the last stretch before the peak reminds me of the switchback climb to Cucamonga Peak with a massive slope on your right side across the canyon on the way up. The peak had some great views and I had it to myself for about 20 minutes. I couldn't find a summit log, but there is a USGS marker near the tower and a pole with a Tahquitz Peak sticker a little farther on the ridge. I retraced my steps on the way down until I got the the fork at the base of the mountain, then took it right to make a loop with some extra time on the PCT and the Caramba Trail. There are several fallen trees on Caramba, but it's a short addition to the hike and goes through a meadow, a different terrain than I'd seen anywhere on the Slide trail. The loop brought me back to Saddle Junction where I reconnected to the Slide trail and took it back down to the parking lot. Ladybugs were migrating today and were very visible at the trailhead. Awesome thing to see.

ditto of everyone else, as i see why this is such a popular hike. get there early if going on a weekend, as parking goes fast

this trail is gorgeous! so many views it's a great hike

Beautiful hike. Amazing views

icy

Excellent hike still open to the public under this pandemic thing. Need to get a permit from May to September to get to the peak via Devil's slide. Before that, just need to register and drop it in a box in the park ranger station in Idyllwild town. Get there early. The combination of colors in the morning make great views to visitors to capture them if you like to appreciate nature. This is a popular trail, so better be there for a parking spot. Need adventure pass for your vehicle. You may still see some of the snow that remains at the very top before it melts completely. Get mosquito repellent and sun protection.

Love this trail, still a few patches of snow in the north side. I only used micros spikes. The parking lot is open now. Sad there are lots of trash near the restroom.

Stopped by the ranger station for permits, there were none outside and it was closed, probably due to the virus scare. The Humbler Park trailhead was open, no signs and all the parking lots were open, do not know if the chemical toilets were open, didn't check that. There were a number of people already here when we started at 9am on a beautiful Saturday morning. Devil's Slide Trail is well marked and switchback's its way up to the saddle, good uphill nothing too aggressive, good for kids, dogs, etc. Post-saddle though we started hitting patches of snow, easily crossed for the most part but they were slushy due the 60 degree day, some post-holing, but passable. After mile four, where the trail splits from the PCT we ran into some steep deep snow covered traverses that were sketchy, we ran into two other groups that had turned around. We didn't have crampons or ice axes, my buddy was in trail runners and I was in micro-spikes with poles. We proceeded about a quarter mile down the trail and then decided to turn back and find another way. We wound up punching straight up from back at mile four, following some footsteps that headed towards the summit. After a bit the snow cleared up and we were at the top, we could see the fire station in the distance and commenced the rock scramble from one peak to another, wasn't too bad, just had to pick the correct line. We just did the reverse on the way back, we followed the footsteps through the snow again, was fun on the way down, sliding and even some glissading. All in all the deviation made the trail 9.7 and it took us 5 hours, mostly due to route finding and hanging out at the fire tower. Great hike, beautiful views, watch those traverses.

February 23, 2020. Made it 4.5 miles out and could see the peak, but the snowdrifts were too deep. At the PCT junction, I came across two hikers who had turned around as they could not find the trail. I followed their tracks through the fresh snow and saw where they started hiking up instead of continuing straight. However continuing strait was not feasible because of the deep snowdrifts and steep incline. There was about 6 inches of fresh powder over the frozen layer of snow, which made it very slippery and too dangerous to continue. I hiked up the way the two other hikers had started to go and made it a little past where they did enough that I could see Tahquitz Peak, but I was post-holing past my knees and there was no way I could break-trail to the peak. The fresh powder was slushing and melting fast after I got back down to the saddle. Still a nice hike in the fresh snow. 9 miles and 2,352 feet of elevation gain.

icy

This trail is absolutely stunning! The view is gorgeous and very scenic, the air is fresh, and it’s an all around great place to hike. There are many trails near this one too. I’ll have to return and try them all out!

This is a phenomenal trail. We originally planned to start from the south side, but our friends could not find us, we headed to them and started hike from this point. Parked along a side street in neighborhood right at trailhead. Only one other car there, besides our two. Not much parking available if you start from this route. But the trail is clearly marked and is a service road for the first part. You will see cars on the first few miles. After that is clears up and gets to single track and more service road. It was heavily packed with fresh snow on our visit. We had microspikes and poles, both were necessary. We encountered a couple of sketchy, steep trail sections with long drop offs, but we followed previous hiker foot holes and moved very slowly (while praying) and made it to peak and back in one piece. This is a great hike. Neat to look up at mountains from parking spot and spot the look out tower way in the distance that we conquered. Fun day with friends. Long day with friends, Worth every damn minute. Fun snow hike. As others have mentions, IT IS STUNNING or the duration of the hike. Beginning to end.

icy

Things to know before you go in January. Have a adventure pass if you do not have one you can purchase the pass anywhere in town, get a permit at the rangers office unless they are closed, have you snow equipment, and finally bring plenty of food and water. When arriving on the hike site the road will be closed due to ice coving the road so park close by the road closed sign. You will need to walk a little and pass by restrooms to get to your hiking destination. Three people and two 10lb dogs stared the hike around 8:30am. It was nice to do the hike up, but had to turn back when we reached 3.2 miles because the snow was up to our knees and it was difficult to walk in. When walking back we encounter lots of people and dogs playing with the snow. Overall well worth the hike we will do it again when there is little to no snow. Hope this was helpful. Happy trials.

*** Avoid triggering rock falls by watching where you step/what you lean on. Don't send shit flying into the abyss and think it won't hit someone. There is a good chance there may be some climbers, hikers or animals below! *** IIRC, we spent a good 5-7 hrs on this hike round trip back in the fall. But then again, we were also in no rush to be anywhere. You could do it in 3-4 with minimal stops if speed if your priority. Bring some lunch for the peak, 2L of water per person and enjoy the day. Pack your trash out. Rangers at the fire tower are friendly and knowledgeable although I don't think anyone is up there right now through the winter. fun fact: On a perfectly clear day, you can see up to Venice w/ binoculars.

Wow what a great trail. The only thing that would’ve made this better is if I brought my snow shoes with me!Towards the top there’s a lot of snow. The views are amazing! I went through 2.5 liters of water.

fee