Tahquitz Peak via South Ridge Trail

Tahquitz Peak via South Ridge Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Trail in amazing condition. Great views the entire way. One 10 yard section of slushy snow.

Great little up and back hike! Little dicey in my old Honda Accord coming up dirt road to trail head but made it. Going back soon!

Have done this trail many times over the years. Half way up is a plateau where we have a pet memorial tree. Have scattered ashes of three dogs that have done the hike. Beautiful hike. Also fun to hike back down to Humber Park as long as you have two cars. :-)

Hiked this in February and it was amazing! Covered in snow, and the weather was perfect. Definitely going back in the winter.

This is a beautiful hike

Wow. What an adventure. I love Idyllwild now and really love the views that trail has to offer.

It was close to 100 degrees the day I went but only about 70 upnin Idyllwild. But besides that great views. And wow what a sun-set. My god was it beautiful.

Hiked this on 4/21. Started around 7 am and we were back down by midday. Stopped many times on the way up to explore the different view points. This is a beautiful hike and does not get that challenging till about 1.5-2 miles or so from the peak, at which point the incline becomes steeper. I would deff recommend a truck/Jeep, vehicles with a higher clearance to make it up the dirt road to the trailhead. If you’re in a car, drive slow and be careful with all the potholes and some deep pockets of sand like dirt on the road. Don’t get stuck!

Nice incline and views up to Taqhuitz. A bit more strenuous than the Devil’s Slide Route.

great bang for your work out buck

It was a great hike to the peak lookout. I definitely enjoyed this way up as opposed to the other. This one was harder but enjoyed by all.

Fun Hike. Awesome views. Clear all the way through. very light snow in small sections.

I was shaking driving my Kia Soul, 2 wheel drive to the trailhead. But we made it. That road is rough.
the hike itself, well, we are not acclimated to the elevation and needed to stop to catch our breath many times. beautiful views, great workout, great reward, we will be back.

Not too bad, me and the wife really enjoyed this trail.

Trail is very good condition. Sunny skies but not too hot. I can imagine it would be hot and, as a result, much harder during the summer. The trail was well marked and didn’t leave any doubt where to go.

Hike on 12/2 and the views were amazing! Highly recommend when the weather is cool and sunny. We hiked during the super moon and returned the last 2.5 miles in moon light.
Hike time was 5-hours round trip with multiple breaks.

Hiked this on 12/2 and really enjoyed it. The weather was perfect and views were spectacular! Definitely want to do this one again.

It was a beautiful day. Great hike !!!

Hiked this trail yesterday with our 7 year old and it was amazing... highly recommend trail was very well defined and cleared.. not busy and great views go all the way around to the tower!!!!

Park at the trailhead if your car can make it to avoid an extra mile of steep terrain. The trail itself is well maintained and has a gradual incline (except the last bit near the fire lookout) there's lots of shade until the last bit. The rock formations are incredible - the views get better and better with each step. Many places to stop for a picnic, too. It's remarkable that idyllwild has this "Yosemite" feel to it when you get up high on this trail.

A great hike. Amazing views.

Great hike. Parked at South Ridge lot then up and down to Humber Park. Took 5 hours, but we stopped at the top for a while.

Went early last Saturday, excellent trail! Last section towards the top wasn't to bad, just pace yourself. Remember bug spray! Lots of great views and trail was kept up nicely...

Beautiful hike up! The ranger let us go up the tower and check out his lodgings. The view is panoramic. There is a new bear warning sign at the trailhead!!! We didn't see any bears though.

Beautiful year round hiking

Great hike. Got it while doing the PCT in 2017. Little snow up there on the South Ridge at that time, but no biggie. Great views at the top and a cut off to San Jacinto trails. Enjoy.

This is an amazing trail with the opportunity to end at one of the few remaining and most difficult to get to fire lookouts. The hike itself is moderately difficult, I would say mostly due to the elevation gains, but so worth the end result. However the loop is actually about 7.8 miles to the fire lookout and back, not 6.5. And if your car is not able to make it up the road to the trailhead and you have to park on the street you are looking at almost 10 miles round trip. We have never done this hike via devils slide because we think the views from this side as you go up are beyond amazing.

We typically start this hike around noon ish in the summer months and have no problem finishing it well before dinner.

Hike this trail early. The last section before the lookout is steep and sunny. I was carrying a 40# backpack. Trekking poles highly recommended-they helped tremendously on the way up and were indispensable on the way down. Enjoy! :-)

Great hike - good trails and great fire lookout building at the top. Fantastic views. Definitely worth it! Great intermediate hike - hard, but not too hard.

Monday, June 12, 2017

I would like to help get more people up to the top of this and others like it so they too can enjoy the fun down hill ride, maybe even a few times in one day. please help me. go to my link below thank you

Monday, June 05, 2017

I love this trail. I have wanted to do it for many years and finally hiked up to the lookout then to Saddleback Junction, then down Devils Slide to Humber Park. Past only one other hiker on a Monday mid-morning on the South Ridge Trail. Very scenic. Quite hot in the afternoon.