Tahquitz Peak via South Ridge Trail

Tahquitz Peak via South Ridge Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Really great hike with super rewarding views. That last mile was TOUGH. The watch tower wasn't open on Saturday, April 15th. My FitBit said the hike was longer than 6.5 miles, but coming down the mountain felt like cake!

Probably one of the best trails I've been on. I really enjoyed the views all along the trail. The road up to the trail head is very bumpy I recommend parking at the bottom if you have a low clearance vehicle. Also, don't forget to pick up your free wilderness permit at the ranger station. Permits are required for wilderness travel.

Great hike and the views are amazing. I went early on Easter Day and there was no one there. Saw people coming up as I went down. Beautiful hike. I will say that the last mile to the trailhead is single lane dirt road and very bumpy. I don't have a high clearance vehicle so only went up 1/2 way and walked to the trailhead.

This trail was suggested by a ranger because the peaks altitude was second to Mt. San Jacinto. I didn't trust my rental, a Hyundai Sonata, to make it up the dirt trail to the trail head. After hiking up the dirt trail, I wish I wouldn't had been reluctant on driving up the trail. In all, great hike. If you scan for opportunities, there were several beautiful vantage points for photography throughout the trail. Very small segments of the trail still have snow on it. From the beginning of the dirt trail, the hike lasted a little under 4 hours and the length was around 9.5 miles.

Constant incline but rewarding view from the top!

it was cold, windy, raining and amazing

Awesome place with very rewarding views. Went on a Wednesday so it wasn't crowded whatsoever; it was only us and another couple using the trail.
Don't forget to get a self serve permit from the Rangers Station. We took 2.5 liters of water and it was the perfect amount. Take something to eat as well because you will get hungry. We finished in about 4 hours total, taking our sweet time.

great hike. lots of shade. Beautiful views. would like to try going up devils slide and down the ridge trail next time.

Great hike. Tahquitz Peak via Southridge trail. Wanted to summit using the Saddle but permits were used up. The one mile dirt trail can be challenging if you do not have 4 wheel drive. Several major potholes Steep trail. Wide enough. Not really rocky until you get close to the summit. Bring lots of water. Did it in 77 degree weather which is good. Had to stop a lot the last 1/2 mile as the altitude was getting to me. Was thinking that if 10 degrees warmer and sunny, I would have turned around. You just keep pluggin away at the switchbacks and suddenly the tower appears. What a view. Joined the "Ancient and Honerable Order of Squirrels", what an honor...lol The ranger was nice and talked about the 2013 Mountain fire( think it started in Mountain Center) where they had to evacuate.
I would rate this as moderate to difficult. It is a real butt kicker. For me anyway. Harder than suicide rock. Highly recommend, but in below 80 degree weather. Final stats: 7.2 miles roundtrip(3.2 according to ranger station), 2441 ascent, 4:15 total time, with about 1/2 at the top.