Tahquitz Peak via South Ridge Trail

Tahquitz Peak via South Ridge Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a beautiful hike

Wow. What an adventure. I love Idyllwild now and really love the views that trail has to offer.

It was close to 100 degrees the day I went but only about 70 upnin Idyllwild. But besides that great views. And wow what a sun-set. My god was it beautiful.

Hiked this on 4/21. Started around 7 am and we were back down by midday. Stopped many times on the way up to explore the different view points. This is a beautiful hike and does not get that challenging till about 1.5-2 miles or so from the peak, at which point the incline becomes steeper. I would deff recommend a truck/Jeep, vehicles with a higher clearance to make it up the dirt road to the trailhead. If you’re in a car, drive slow and be careful with all the potholes and some deep pockets of sand like dirt on the road. Don’t get stuck!

Nice incline and views up to Taqhuitz. A bit more strenuous than the Devil’s Slide Route.

great bang for your work out buck

It was a great hike to the peak lookout. I definitely enjoyed this way up as opposed to the other. This one was harder but enjoyed by all.

Fun Hike. Awesome views. Clear all the way through. very light snow in small sections.

I was shaking driving my Kia Soul, 2 wheel drive to the trailhead. But we made it. That road is rough.
the hike itself, well, we are not acclimated to the elevation and needed to stop to catch our breath many times. beautiful views, great workout, great reward, we will be back.

Not too bad, me and the wife really enjoyed this trail.

Trail is very good condition. Sunny skies but not too hot. I can imagine it would be hot and, as a result, much harder during the summer. The trail was well marked and didn’t leave any doubt where to go.

Hike on 12/2 and the views were amazing! Highly recommend when the weather is cool and sunny. We hiked during the super moon and returned the last 2.5 miles in moon light.
Hike time was 5-hours round trip with multiple breaks.

Hiked this on 12/2 and really enjoyed it. The weather was perfect and views were spectacular! Definitely want to do this one again.

It was a beautiful day. Great hike !!!

Hiked this trail yesterday with our 7 year old and it was amazing... highly recommend trail was very well defined and cleared.. not busy and great views go all the way around to the tower!!!!

Park at the trailhead if your car can make it to avoid an extra mile of steep terrain. The trail itself is well maintained and has a gradual incline (except the last bit near the fire lookout) there's lots of shade until the last bit. The rock formations are incredible - the views get better and better with each step. Many places to stop for a picnic, too. It's remarkable that idyllwild has this "Yosemite" feel to it when you get up high on this trail.

A great hike. Amazing views.

Great hike. Parked at South Ridge lot then up and down to Humber Park. Took 5 hours, but we stopped at the top for a while.

Went early last Saturday, excellent trail! Last section towards the top wasn't to bad, just pace yourself. Remember bug spray! Lots of great views and trail was kept up nicely...

Beautiful hike up! The ranger let us go up the tower and check out his lodgings. The view is panoramic. There is a new bear warning sign at the trailhead!!! We didn't see any bears though.

Beautiful year round hiking

Great hike. Got it while doing the PCT in 2017. Little snow up there on the South Ridge at that time, but no biggie. Great views at the top and a cut off to San Jacinto trails. Enjoy.

This is an amazing trail with the opportunity to end at one of the few remaining and most difficult to get to fire lookouts. The hike itself is moderately difficult, I would say mostly due to the elevation gains, but so worth the end result. However the loop is actually about 7.8 miles to the fire lookout and back, not 6.5. And if your car is not able to make it up the road to the trailhead and you have to park on the street you are looking at almost 10 miles round trip. We have never done this hike via devils slide because we think the views from this side as you go up are beyond amazing.

We typically start this hike around noon ish in the summer months and have no problem finishing it well before dinner.

Hike this trail early. The last section before the lookout is steep and sunny. I was carrying a 40# backpack. Trekking poles highly recommended-they helped tremendously on the way up and were indispensable on the way down. Enjoy! :-)

Great hike - good trails and great fire lookout building at the top. Fantastic views. Definitely worth it! Great intermediate hike - hard, but not too hard.

I would like to help get more people up to the top of this and others like it so they too can enjoy the fun down hill ride, maybe even a few times in one day. please help me. go to my link below thank you

I love this trail. I have wanted to do it for many years and finally hiked up to the lookout then to Saddleback Junction, then down Devils Slide to Humber Park. Past only one other hiker on a Monday mid-morning on the South Ridge Trail. Very scenic. Quite hot in the afternoon.

Beautiful, challenging trail. The forest road leading up to the trailhead is manageable with a moderately sized vehicle (crossover, SUV, or truck). The majority of the forest road is steep sand, with small paved sections riddled with potholes... if you don't care about your alignment or if you have a 4WD vehicle go for it. The trail has beautiful panoramic views, rock formations, and flora. The trail becomes increasingly difficult in the last mile- attributed to a combination of narrow, rocky switchbacks (hiking poles recommended) and altitude. Bring plenty of water and a few snacks to provide you enough energy to reach the top. It gets windy and chilly at the 8800' peak, layers recommended. Lastly, don't forget your day hiking permit at the ranger station in town, on weekends the rangers frequent the forest road where cars are parked.

The road up to the trailhead is not recommended for low vehicles . Its steep and sandy but if you have a little ground clearance just keep your momentum headed upward and you will be fine . The trial itself starts out amazing . Tall trees and lots of flowers . You hike though a lot of rock formations and boulders . As others have said , That last mile or so , It"s a monster . My wife and I are 54 and in fair shape and made it in just over 2 hrs . BUT ! It was a little more then moderate in my opinion . Had a well deserved Sushi lunch on the Tower , watched the Butterflies, Lizards ,and Squirrels and took a nice long break along with lots of photos before starting down . Took our time explored on our way down and got back to our car in about 2 hrs . I have hiked this trial probably 10 times in the past And the best thing about this trial is you don't have to hike to the summit to have an amazing time . There are so many places to explore on this ridge that you could spend all day and not even make it halfway and be fine with that . One of my favs for sure .

Sunday, May 14, 2017

nice incline to the top, real burner!
Definitely a great a hike to get your cardio and legs working.
Stunning views. The firelookout up top is a nice reward and the perfect place to have lunch.
Bring a hat and lots of water.

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

This hike has beautiful views from many parts of the trail, but the real reward is from the fire lookout at the top - 360 degrees of stunning! From Salton Sea to LA Basin to Mohave Desert! The forest which surrounds the trail is full of wonders and is quite untouched.

Be aware of the weather and your fitness level. This gets quite steep for the last 1/2 hour and the oxygen gets thin, making a 72 degree day into a gasping experience, at times.

We are above average fitness and seasoned hikers. It took 2.25 hours up and 1.75 hours down, which included breaks for photos and biology.

May 1st the trail was completely dry up to the lookout; beyond that there were some snow banks