Table Rock and Palisades Trail to Oat Hill Mine

Table Rock and Palisades Trail to Oat Hill Mine is a 19.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Calistoga, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Use the parking area at the top of the Calistoga Grade/Lake County Highway. Follow the signs for the Table Rock Trail. You will pass through an area known as the Labyrinth, it will be self explanatory. Continue on down to the south and you will begin to see the outcropping of Table Rock. After Table Rock, continue south on the Palisade Trail to Oat Hill Mine Road. Make a right on Oat Hill Mine Road and that will take you to the base of the mountain in Calistoga. This is a strenuous hike with a rocky trail, deep gullies, and narrow ledges.

This is the best hike I’ve been on in a long time. It’s true hiking trails. No paved roads. You have to pass over streams and climb down rocks and exposed tree roots. It is a tough hike with beautiful views.

Stunning views, moderate difficulty. I was glad to have hiking boots rather than my typical trail runners, especially for parts of the trail a few miles beyond Table Rock. We did this hike in November & it was a great time of year to appreciate the fall leaves, hills slowly turning green, and the cool weather. I'm not sure that I would repeat this hike mid-summer as many miles are along exposed hillsides.
A welcomed surprise was the ice cold pint from the pizza joint we enjoyed across the street from the trail head on the Calistoga side...such a nice way to end the 11+ mile journey!

2.5 hours round trip. At times I wasn't sure if I was going the correct way. More difficult than I thought. Need good shoes and at least 2L of H2O!

This is hands down my favorite area in the Sonoma/Napa area.

Outstanding views of the Palisades (unless you go on a foggy day), lots of huge rock features, and tons of plant life. Redwoods, ferns, wildflowers, etc.

I would recommend sturdy boots, as after you reach Table Rock the trail gets quite technical.

I think you can connect this trail to Oat Mine Hill trail and hike down to the parking lot for that trailhead. Great if you want a full day hike, and have someone to pick you up!

I would not recommend this trail for young children, anyone with any recent ankle injuries, or for someone seeking an easy hike.

The beginning of this trail is fairly easy, but there are very steep, technical portions. For intermediate hikers, and adventurous just can't beat this trail in this area.

Came here last week when it was a bit foggy. There were very few people on the trail and it was absolutely gorgeous with the fog all around during the ascent. Good workout and Calistoga has a lovely down town to see after the hike. I'm coming back tomorrow and look forward to spending more time on the trail.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Very nice hike. Lots of huge rocks to climb

Friday, July 01, 2016

Long, hard and hot but Pallisades are spectacular

Monday, April 04, 2016

Our group did this as a shuttle hike. On the initial part of the trail make sure to keep right and look for the sign post. We didn't and it cost us the out and back oops that you see on the track. This is a serious and fairly technical hike due to the surfaces that you are walking on. Great views not only from the top of Table Rock but also along the Palisades trail.

Saturday, October 29, 2016