Sylvan Meadows

Sylvan Meadows is a 4.5 mile loop trail located near Murrieta, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is best used from November until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I took my terrier here to hike, I usually stick with the trail that starts from the parking area by Hidden Valley Road, the actual trail is 2.5 miles. This trail recorded here has an added loop trail you can also access across from the Ecological reserve to make your loop a quick 2 mile or a little bit longer 4.5 miles. Mainly flat, some meadows, some large bush covered areas, keep an eye out from horse riders and mountain bikers. The regular trail isn’t as curvy as the added trail above it shown on the map. Either one has taken me about an hour with stopping to give my dog water. Great any time of the year.

Lots of different trails linked into this one trail :)
You can make it as short or as long as you would like. The majority of it is "plains" flat land like tall grass with pretty easy non-rocky terrain but again it depends which trails you decide to take!

Took Sylvan Meadows to Shivela trail, then Stevenson Canyon. Some riders had their horses out on the Sylvan Meadows trail, and we saw one biker, but that was from afar. Our trail was solitary and didn't seem too heavily trafficked. Altogether a nice, fairly easy hike, with lots of beautiful natural habitats and scenic views over the meadows. The largest wildlife we encountered was a squirrel, but we did spot a tick or two along the way, so be mindful. Bring water on a warm day!

Really really crowded.

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Birdwatching paradise!

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

This is an easy trail that was great for taking two wild lab puppies for some much needed exercise. Not much shade in large sections, so best on cooler days. Very dry and powdery dirt at the end of a long hot summer at the top of the loop. Nice views, but far from the beauty of the Preserve across the street. Mountain lion spotting while we were on the trail, so made me rethink carrying bear spray again. Actually, very few left in this area, but this one was young. Maybe repopulating.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

This was a simple flat hike. There was not much of a challenge. I took my 6 year old son and he was able to keep up. We liked going on the little outlet trails along the way. We basically went on a nature walk and appreciated being outdoors together.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Sunday, June 05, 2016

This area is a different type of landscape than the park across the street. It is low impact and easy. Not much challenge but I can get my heart rate up if I move through quickly. These trails are dog friendly and horse back friendly. Watch out for poops. Wide open spaces make for great emotion inducing feelings of freedom and and space. Leave the crowded, closed in city behind and hike these trails and you'll feel great. Be aware of mountain bikers ringing their bells to alert you. Be courteous and step aside so they can pass. Again, a $3.00 day use fee on the honor system. Parking is good.
Enjoy a local favorite.

Monday, May 16, 2016

It was perfect for a Sunday afternoon walk in the meadow.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Super easy trail. you could take kids on this trail. Lots of dog and horse droppings, I mean A LOT!