Learn more

Sykes Hot Springs via Pine Ridge Trail is a 19.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Big Sur, California that features hot springs and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 19.5 mi Elevation gain 5,646 ft Route type Out & Back
Dog friendly Backpacking Camping Fishing Hiking Nature trips Bird watching Running Forest Hot springs River Views Wild flowers Wildlife Bugs Over grown Rocky Scramble Fee
Description
Waypoints (9)
Tips

Big Sur has many great destinations, but Sykes Hot Springs is definitely near the top of the list for anyone who has been there. It is roughly 9-10 miles to the Skyes campground, and limited climbing after the first 2 hours (which can be steep at times, and tiring in the direct sun). It is possible to treat it as a day hike, but it is recommended to take some time for the hike, as there are rolling green hills, several waterfalls, and wildflowers throughout the trail, none of which should be missed. The hot springs is about 8 feet across and a couple of feet deep--about the size for 4 adults, and it stays around 100 degrees depending on rain. Start by parking at the Ventana Wilderness area ranger station and heading towards the back parking lot. Parking is also available for $10.00 per calendar day Pine Ridge Trailhead Parking Lot.

Parking is now $5/day and campfires are not allowed during summer months, even with a fire permit (this may change depending on the season). The ranger station wants you to have a campfire permit even for stove and lantern use.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (121)
Photos (416)
Recordings (82)
Completed (453)
Dalton Hendrix
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 21, 2020

She’s definitely a 10

View Dalton's Recording
tyson carswell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 14, 2020
HikingClosed

Sad to hear it is now closed. This is a fantastic overnight hike that takes you into the hills to view a great cross section of the flora and fauna Big Sur has to offer. A glass of wine, a dip in the water and conversation with others was a great cap the day. I hope the restoration efforts are successful, and that the trail can reopen in a more sustainable manner.

Noah Solis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 18, 2019
Hiking

It’s been over a decade since I’ve been here. My dad took me at least 4 times as a youth and I’ve been several times with friends as a day hike. It’s a good hike!

Evan Harrington
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 6, 2019
Camping

Such a shame to hear of the overcrowding. I camped there in 1984, then again in 1992, very few people. I was hoping to go back, so it's sad to hear of the long term closure and the overcrowding there. In terms of the trail itself, it can be tough due to the switchbacks and inclines. The valley with the hotspring is really pretty. Not sure I'd want to go if it was as crowded as people say in recent years.

Alyssa Perk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 27, 2018
Backpacking

Did a two-nighter out there a while back. Backpacked to one of the campsites a couple miles away from the hot springs and then hiked up to the springs the following day. Hot springs were nothing too impressive, but the hike up was really beautiful with just the right amount of elevation for a good workout.

Brian Anderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 17, 2018
Hiking

This was one of my favorite hikes while living in California. With that said, the crowds had clearly taken a toll, so I'm actually hoping the closure means it will be relatively inaccessible for a considerable time. This place needs time to heal.

Weston Call
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 17, 2018
Hiking

The Pine Ridge Trail to Sykes is closed indefinitely. Locally we hear 2-5 years. While this is a bummer for everyone, please understand that Sykes and the backcountry of Big Sur deserves a much needed break. For years, Sykes got crushed. Damming, Trash, Fire, and Destruction were the norm. Im not an Environmentalist, Conservation No one should be in the Backcountry Purists. I am a local Big Sur resident who advocates for the backcountry, because she has no voice. The Volunteer Wilderness Rangers are out on patrol, and if necessary can call USFS to escalate. There are many other trails listed here on this site. You can get into the backcountry, but for a while, it cannot be through the Pine Ridge Trail. lovebigsur.com

Michelle Quan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 16, 2018

Has anyone gone on this trail while closed??

Scott Allen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 14, 2018
Hiking

My friends and I hiked this for a multi-day camping trip in April '16. This was the first time I had ever been on an overnight hike. It was grueling at times and I would NOT recommend it for a first timer who is out of shape. The only reason I did fine on this hike was that I upped my fitness level a little in the weeks prior to the hike (simply by going for daily long walks). The one member of our party who hadn't hiked in a long time and who was totally out of shape had a really, really tough time. There is a lot of up and down, at times pretty steep, and you hit the ups pretty early in the hike. It being my first hike, I couldn't conceive of how hard that would be with a 50+ pound pack! Having said that, it was a spectacular hike. It was raining most of the time, which we expected, but it was mainly a constant drizzle/mist which made the experience and the views really, really nice. The rain caused a couple of minor hazards, but nothing serious (just have to watch you footing more carefully). Had it been dry and warm, it would have been exponentially harder. Whenever they open this up again, if this is your first overnight hike, I would recommend going in late April (that's when we went) or early May for cooler temps and the chance for some rain (yes, personally, I prefer a little precip on this kind of hike). Also, if your level of fitness is low or non-existent, I'd at least do some daily light cardio for 2-3 weeks prior to your trip. Again, this is a spectacular hike and I found it to be very rewarding to complete, on a personal level. Most of our party were experienced hikers, most of whom had done this hike before. The hot springs can be a nice reward, even though most of my party was more excited about that than I was, but I think it's worth a soak after such a long hike. The trail was rather busy, which surprised me for such a long hike, but I actually liked seeing and talking to so many folks on such a lengthy and difficult hike. Somehow, I found that that camaraderie made the hike easier (and that's coming from someone who is typically anti-social). This is a long and at times grueling hike. But it is also beautiful and rewarding and is well worth the effort. I'd definitely do it again and hope to someday.

Melissa Orozco
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 29, 2018
Hiking

Is this hike back open yet ! =))

Toby B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 19, 2018
Backpacking

I did this hike with a group of friends of varying backpacking experience back in 2011 when we were all juniors in high school. This may have been at the peak of its popularity before the fires, and as luck would have it, the springs were VERY crowded, and they are all very small and intimate. It was a really great bonding experience, and for the less outdoorsy friends, it really opened their eyes to the magic of getting somewhere worthwhile on your own two feet. Unexpectedly gnarly up and down the entire way; my ankles were done by the time we got to camp! You can hike out in two days if you need by sleeping at a camp that is about halfway. Definitely a formative experience for me as an outdoors lover. However, I’ll admit looking back that this is one of the less impressive and beautiful hikes in the area of Big Sur. While this trail is being fixed up, I encourage you to explore more of the Ventana and Silver Peak Wildernesses! Who knows, maybe more natural hot water is hiding out there... Remember to practice LEAVE NO TRACE principles! Hike prepared!

Liane Vane
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 18, 2018

This trail is closed indefinitely-lots of mudslide damage.

Sean Bereman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 9, 2018

Closed till further notice. All trails should update asap. #cobrahikingclub

Eric Vecchione
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2017

Loved this hike - had to cut down the stream to the springs once you got there. Definitely felt crowded, this was on a weekday in 2011.

Cordelia Cluett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 24, 2017
Backpacking

Crowds were getting pretty intense up here before the Fall 2017 fire. Haven't been back since it burnt but used to be one of my favorite places in big sur.

joni palmer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 25, 2017

closed due to road hwy 1 road closures

Benjamin Pierce
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 6, 2017

Awesome trail, nice to backpack for the night. Can be crowded at the Springs.

Courtney Thomas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 19, 2017
Backpacking

This is a highly traveled trail so if you don't like crowds either go during the week or try another trail. The hot springs at the end are nice, but you have to share a 2/3-person bath with approx 8+ people. A little too much sweat and bodily fluids in one body of water for me. Camping spots are generally pretty crowded because of the number of people coming through. Definitely a tough hike, especially in the heat.

Karolis Karalevičius
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 12, 2017
Camping

We did This back in 2012. Epic hike with a reward at the end

Ben Arent
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 25, 2016
Hiking

WARNING: This Trail is closed as part of Soberanes fire. While Sykes wasn't affected by the fire. There has been reports of people Illegally camping in and having campfires according to the ranger station. The ranger, said that it'll be closed for a while. Likely to open back up in April.

Corey Vermillion
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 13, 2016
Backpacking

A bit tedious up and down the whole way but nice hike with cool River and springs at end

Ryan Radenbaugh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 2, 2016

First time where I hiked and camped overnight with all my gear. Left at 4pm and got up before it got dark to setup camp. Definitely needed the hot springs to recover. Dogs barely made it but did it 2 days. Definitely possible if you keep a good pace

Aurelia Ayon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 30, 2016

One of my all time favorites! The hike is long and I'd say moderate but long. The end is definitely worth it. Bring a bathing suit :)

chris kim
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 13, 2016

awesome

Erin VanHulzen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 5, 2016
Backpacking

I have backpacked to Ventana Camp once before I did this trek. I really am not entirely experience in backpacking and I am here to warn you if you are not experienced I would skip this trip or maybe just settle for a closer camp. It took me two days to get out to Sykes. We kinda just decided to go on the trail and see how far we could go and we ended up making it all the way to Sykes. It was gorgeous there. WAY to many people though and people were not respecting others turns in the hot springs. They were just all jumping in front of people who were waiting to get into them. Also kinda wanted to be able to strip down but that was impossible cause so many people there and young kids. (awkward) other than that it was extremely gorgeous and was nice to be able to rest muscles in hot springs after that long trek. It only took us a day to get out all the way back to our car which was impressive for me though it was mostly down in elevation. Id also suggest going extremely early in the day or later at night and also in a cooler season because it gets really hot and strenuous on that trail especially from the trail head to Ventana camp.

Earl Babcock
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2016
Backpacking

Not much to see but the hot springs are worth the hike.

Kyle Pickering
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 18, 2016
Backpacking

The proximity to San Francisco is super convenient. We took a quick 2.5 hour drive on Friday evening, and slept in the back of a Getaround Prius in a parking lot near the trailhead. We got a late start (late for what we wanted) and were on the trail by 9:30am. It was foggy for the first 3 miles or so, which was great. It kept the temperature down during the steep initial ascent. The single track trail is well maintained, and relatively easy as far as wilderness trails go. The main challenge is the length. There's a great resting place at the 5 mile mark. We arrive at Sykes camp around 1:30pm, and the sites were starting to fill up. By evening, every possible camp site was filled. Not a great location for solitude. Some camps were playing music, other camps were building campfires during a fire ban. There were no outhouses, and lots of toilet paper scraps scattered around in the brush. I would happily pay a fee for a wilderness permit if they figured out a toilet solution. The amount of traffic this place gets is pretty incredible, and I wonder how it's affecting the area. There was even some toilet paper scraps near the creek, which is pretty nasty. We avoided the hot springs that evening because of the amount of people camping in the area. We woke up at 5:30am and hiked in the morning light down to the pools and had a nice quiet soak. I was again surprised to see all the campsites filled with campers, even all the way down to the hot springs. There was a tent set up right at the pools as well. All in all, it was a fun trip, but don't come here for solitude or to be surrounded by people who treat the outdoors with kindness.

Natalie Vargo
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 18, 2016

We hiked in and back in one day. A little over 20 miles from the truck and back. Our group was in good shape, but it was rough. There is a lot of up and down and elevation gain. I kept telling myself "soon you'll be at the beautiful springs!" We arrived at the hot springs and we all looked at one another like "soooo.... THIS is what we are hiking 20 miles for?". Teeny tiny sulphur pools FILLED with algae (think long billowing aggressive algae). Super crowded. We had to wait for a little pod to empty out. I didn't want to get near them, except I knew my muscles probably needed it to make the 10 miles back. The springs were more of a tepid "I'm going to get a disease here" temp instead of hot. I have done amazing hikes in big sur and surrounding areas. This was the least beautiful and completely underwhelming. We were hiking inland so I expected maybe something like big basin? Beautiful green forest and ferns and waterfalls. No. Brushy forest and an occasional creek crossing. We weren't even tempted to take photos along the way. The trail is super narrow so we were single-file the whole way and sang songs and chatted to pass the time. The only nice thing about this hike was the workout and being with friends. I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Priscilla Lee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 17, 2016
Backpacking

This hike is very strenuous. The first 4 miles to ventana is the hardest. From Ventana to Terrace Ceek is moderate and a good break from the uphill from the station to Ventana. From Terrace Creek to Barlow Flats is moderate; from Barlow Flats to Sykes is moderate to difficult. The last 3 miles is tough because it's uphill in the sun, with little shade, then downhill to get to Sykes. It's a scenic path with beautiful views. The river is crossed several times. The entire time on the path there is room for only 1 person. There is very little room and you're literally on the cliff of the mountain the whole time. There is not room for off trailing and was honestly a bit boring for how long the hike is. Once you get into Sykes camp, the trail goes left and right. The hot springs are to your LEFT. It's confusing and very many people got confused and didn't know where to go. The trail gets lost for a little bit; if you keep continuing to the left, you'll find them. The trail will go up on rocks which was very narrow and scary because of the rocks, you can also go through the river. Once you get close, it's hard to take your backpack with you. The small trail to the springs is very narrow and hard to get to because of the rocks. I would recommend finding the springs without your packs, find a campsite, and then enjoy. The Hot Springs felt great and was truly an amazing experience. The river is beautiful and the camp is very comfortable. When we got to the springs, there was no one there. We got there Wednesday and left Thursday morning. At night the springs were crowded. We stayed the first night in Ventana. The Ventana camp is a mile down with beautiful views. It's a tough hike back uphill to get back to the Pine Ridge Trail. If you're willing to do a tough hike and test your uphill abilities, this is a great hike. If you're looking for scenery and a nice calm scenic hike, this is not for you. There are no coastal views, and you're looking at the path the entire time.

Bryan Gower
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2016
Backpacking

Challenging, beautiful and worth it! go mid week and leave on Saturday to avoid crowded campsites.