Sycamore Crest Trail

moderate 195 reviews

Sycamore Crest Trail is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Avila Beach, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.5 miles Elevation Gain: 498 feet Route Type: Out & Back

private property

Nice short hike, very steep in parts with nice views on top

I wouldn't consider this a hiking trail. it's more of short backyard walk. Very easy and very short. Very short steep parts that can get slippery If you wear wrong shoes. views are nice specially at night. This is one of those walks you can do if you're bored. Excellent place for runners who want to get out of flat terrain. Kid friendly, easy 20 minute walk.

Trekked up to the top and deep fried our catch of the day. Delicious!

Steep but the view makes it worth it. Swing at the top is an awesome photo op. Down side is finding parking.

return from pirate's cove... easier than trip there.

nice hike up to the summit, down to the beach was bit more hairy due to loose footing. but worth it.

Beautiful views at the top. Road from Sycamore Mineral Springs to the ridge, so works well for hiking side by side. I prefer to do the Ontario Ridge loop for this hike.

Great trail! parking is troublesome. I parked at the Bob Jones Bike Path parking lot to avoid being towed at the other (resort) locations. Don't go by my time table as as was doing much Tech photography.

steep going up and down. Nice view at the top.

Great hike! Steady incline. Wide path. Started at Bob Jones Trailhead, and as a newbie to hiking, did 4.25 miles in 90 minutes. Beautiful views of Avila, even when the marine layer lays low. And cute tree swing at the top.

Went up there today to catch the sunrise, absolutely amazing!

favourite hike in the county. quick burst up hills to keep your heart rate going. it is a great training hill.

I started at the other side of the hill/ ridge but the trail starts at the Sycamore resort parking lot.

very uphill but super beautiful view, shaded for most of the hike and cool (temp wise and views)!

first mile is all up hill, so be prepared. it does have quite a few rest areas. dog friendly. I didn't see the swing on sycamore. beautiful views.

Hiked second day in a row. This trail is good for this rainy weather because it’s kinda gravely and very wide so you don’t have streams/mud that you are forced to “wade” through. Today was exceptional because though it’s Saturday, it’s misty and foggy and hardly any people!

Tue Jan 22 2019

I’m getting back into the groove of my physical health so it was a little challenging for me at first. There’s a very steep incline the whole way up, but plenty of little spots along the way to take a break. The view is absolutely breath taking once you reach the top. Definitely bring water and a snack or two :) on the way down, we took another way down (towards private’s cove?). Another incline but easier to go down then up! Perfect weather, not too crowded. Definitely will do again!

Sat Jan 19 2019

Sun Nov 04 2018

Great trail with incredible views! Started on the Avila Beach side and the hike goes over to Shell Beach. Cool little surprise at the tree swings. The views and trees up here are just incredibly. The beauty is unsurpassed. The initial 1-2 miles are incredibly steep and then it evens out along the ridge. I saw many day hikers just doing this in normal athletic shoes but I wore my hiking boots and I’m glad I did. It’s a dog friendly trail as well and pretty heavily trafficked.

Tue Oct 30 2018

This trail is moderate probably only because of the incline. But beginner to moderate would be more accurate. The trail is clearly maintained and is more like a dirt service road. After a short but steep hike you are greeted with one of the better views I have seen on the central coast. On a good day you can see from San Luis bay to the pismo dunes. Well worth it

Sat Oct 20 2018

Good hike, I’m feeling the leg soreness and shin splints two days later... Incline the entire way up but didn’t seem bad if you pace yourself and take breaks. Parking sucks. Sycamore Springs is a pretty pretentious place and absolutely does monitor who parks there. They told me to go to the Bob Jones lot which added at least 30 minutes to the overall hike. I think I spent a total of a 1.5-2 hrs for the hike from the parking lot to the top of hill, and making the loop back down. I did take some breaks for my 14 yr old dog and hid a couple of geocaches as well. I did not like the part of the hike where you have to walk through the resort property... weird.

Sat Oct 06 2018

Fantastic hike! It is steep the entire way up, but extremely rewarding once you reach the top! Bring water!

Mon Jun 25 2018

Such a great feeling finally making it to the top! I did this with my mom and parked at the Avila village market to avoid towing in sycamore springs. We caught the Bob Jones trail then cut over to sycamore springs to start the trail. It was a steep trail almost the entire time but the breeze on top felt so amazing! Had some amazing views of Avila, but sad that I didn’t find the swing that has been up there normally. This was a great hike and a great leg work out!

Tue Jun 12 2018

My boyfriend and I were out at Port SLO for kayaking, but when we got there, the kayak rentals were closing due to a high wind advisory. He and I hopped back in the car and figured we'd scope out a hiking trail nearby (this is how I found the All Trails app). Sycamore Crest came up and being that it wasn't far from where we were at all, we figured we'd give it a go. Parking is tricky because behind the Sycamore Springs resort is where the trail starts, but there were signs all over that said "Guest Parking Only" we found a spot that was more out of the way and figured we'd chance it since the trailhead says 3/4 mile and the trail is marked as moderate. Boy, we felt out of shape at first, the trail starts out steep and continues that way. Luckily, there is a shaded bench about halfway up the climb. The views are amazing and the plants and flowers that surround (this time of year at least; early June) were beautiful. When we got to the top, the ocean view is just as you'd picture. Heading back was awesome because it's all down-hill. We couldn't help but trot/jog back. My car was still there, no ticket. Woohoo! Great trail, would do again...and would also bring more water. Ha! It's a good work-out trail for leg day.

Sun May 27 2018

Great trail, and a good view of the ocean!

Fri May 18 2018

had the best time and amazing views on this hike!

Tue May 08 2018

Good hike, I parked at Bob Jones walked about 3/4 of a mile turned at sycamore mineral springs then up to the crest. 4.5 Miles round trip if you do it that way. Good hike.