Sycamore Crest Trail is a 1.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Avila Beach, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.5 miles Elevation Gain: 498 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Really great trail with some awesome views of the coastline. Accurately rated moderate. Good lil afternoon hike. Would do again!

This is STEEP... but views! & 2 new swing at top, steep w/shade all way there... but my 7 year old did it. Sycamore Resort won’t let you park there - so because I was fearful of getting towed, we parked at the Bob Jones trailhead & walked 1 mile to the Resort over their green bridge & up to the trailhead at the top of the resort (steep paved rd to trailhead). @trailhead, 1 mile consistently steep, wide gravel rd w/lots of shaded oak trees & you get to a bench. From bench it’s 1/2 mile to the top were you meet Ontario Trail. Go left, up 1 more hill & you’ll see a tree swing to the right (overlooks the ocean) & a tree swing to the left (overlooks Avila Valley). Next time we’ll bring our bikes, lock them at the resort & hike the rest of the way.

Beautiful trail. Was hoping to see the wild turkeys. We heard them but didn’t see any. Shaded and sun. Beautiful views at the top. Will do again!

5 stars for this trail option (starting from Sycamore Springs) on a hot day. Other ways of accessing Ontario Ridge (with its breathtaking views of Avila Beach & the coastline) are mostly in full sun with much steeper, rockier inclines. One of my favorite "go-to" spots where I can take my loyal Lab along.

private property

Nice short hike, very steep in parts with nice views on top

I wouldn't consider this a hiking trail. it's more of short backyard walk. Very easy and very short. Very short steep parts that can get slippery If you wear wrong shoes. views are nice specially at night. This is one of those walks you can do if you're bored. Excellent place for runners who want to get out of flat terrain. Kid friendly, easy 20 minute walk.

Trekked up to the top and deep fried our catch of the day. Delicious!

Steep but the view makes it worth it. Swing at the top is an awesome photo op. Down side is finding parking.

return from pirate's cove... easier than trip there.

nice hike up to the summit, down to the beach was bit more hairy due to loose footing. but worth it.

Beautiful views at the top. Road from Sycamore Mineral Springs to the ridge, so works well for hiking side by side. I prefer to do the Ontario Ridge loop for this hike.

Great trail! parking is troublesome. I parked at the Bob Jones Bike Path parking lot to avoid being towed at the other (resort) locations. Don't go by my time table as as was doing much Tech photography.

steep going up and down. Nice view at the top.

Great hike! Steady incline. Wide path. Started at Bob Jones Trailhead, and as a newbie to hiking, did 4.25 miles in 90 minutes. Beautiful views of Avila, even when the marine layer lays low. And cute tree swing at the top.

Went up there today to catch the sunrise, absolutely amazing!

favourite hike in the county. quick burst up hills to keep your heart rate going. it is a great training hill.

Tue May 07 2019

I started at the other side of the hill/ ridge but the trail starts at the Sycamore resort parking lot.

Thu Apr 25 2019

very uphill but super beautiful view, shaded for most of the hike and cool (temp wise and views)!

Wed Apr 24 2019

first mile is all up hill, so be prepared. it does have quite a few rest areas. dog friendly. I didn't see the swing on sycamore. beautiful views.

Sun Mar 03 2019

Hiked second day in a row. This trail is good for this rainy weather because it’s kinda gravely and very wide so you don’t have streams/mud that you are forced to “wade” through. Today was exceptional because though it’s Saturday, it’s misty and foggy and hardly any people!

Tue Jan 22 2019

I’m getting back into the groove of my physical health so it was a little challenging for me at first. There’s a very steep incline the whole way up, but plenty of little spots along the way to take a break. The view is absolutely breath taking once you reach the top. Definitely bring water and a snack or two :) on the way down, we took another way down (towards private’s cove?). Another incline but easier to go down then up! Perfect weather, not too crowded. Definitely will do again!

Sat Jan 19 2019

Sun Nov 04 2018

Great trail with incredible views! Started on the Avila Beach side and the hike goes over to Shell Beach. Cool little surprise at the tree swings. The views and trees up here are just incredibly. The beauty is unsurpassed. The initial 1-2 miles are incredibly steep and then it evens out along the ridge. I saw many day hikers just doing this in normal athletic shoes but I wore my hiking boots and I’m glad I did. It’s a dog friendly trail as well and pretty heavily trafficked.

Tue Oct 30 2018

This trail is moderate probably only because of the incline. But beginner to moderate would be more accurate. The trail is clearly maintained and is more like a dirt service road. After a short but steep hike you are greeted with one of the better views I have seen on the central coast. On a good day you can see from San Luis bay to the pismo dunes. Well worth it