Sycamore Crest Trail

Sycamore Crest Trail is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Avila Beach, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Such a great feeling finally making it to the top! I did this with my mom and parked at the Avila village market to avoid towing in sycamore springs. We caught the Bob Jones trail then cut over to sycamore springs to start the trail. It was a steep trail almost the entire time but the breeze on top felt so amazing! Had some amazing views of Avila, but sad that I didn’t find the swing that has been up there normally. This was a great hike and a great leg work out!

My boyfriend and I were out at Port SLO for kayaking, but when we got there, the kayak rentals were closing due to a high wind advisory. He and I hopped back in the car and figured we'd scope out a hiking trail nearby (this is how I found the All Trails app). Sycamore Crest came up and being that it wasn't far from where we were at all, we figured we'd give it a go. Parking is tricky because behind the Sycamore Springs resort is where the trail starts, but there were signs all over that said "Guest Parking Only" we found a spot that was more out of the way and figured we'd chance it since the trailhead says 3/4 mile and the trail is marked as moderate. Boy, we felt out of shape at first, the trail starts out steep and continues that way. Luckily, there is a shaded bench about halfway up the climb. The views are amazing and the plants and flowers that surround (this time of year at least; early June) were beautiful. When we got to the top, the ocean view is just as you'd picture. Heading back was awesome because it's all down-hill. We couldn't help but trot/jog back. My car was still there, no ticket. Woohoo! Great trail, would do again...and would also bring more water. Ha! It's a good work-out trail for leg day.

Great trail, and a good view of the ocean!

had the best time and amazing views on this hike!

Good hike, I parked at Bob Jones walked about 3/4 of a mile turned at sycamore mineral springs then up to the crest. 4.5 Miles round trip if you do it that way. Good hike.

Excellent view at the top

Beautiful accessible hike!

This is a steep hike at first. There is a bench about half way up to rest. It is a great workout and it is gorgeous. I took my 6yo with me and she was able to do it carefully with my guidance. The view at the top is well worth it. I can't wait to do this trail when the whales are around. There is usually a swing or 2 at the top. They do get moved around.
We usually park in the Bob Jones and walk that trail then cross the bridge to do this one or have someone drop you off. It is not worth being towed.

Brought my 6 year old a long, good hike

Amazing hike with a amazing view! I would totally do this trail again.

I LOVE this hike AND the gorgeous views it offers!

love this hike. gorgeous views

Worth it and nice view.

Super steep hike but the view at the top is well worth it. Not a long hike but steep.

not easy but the view is unbelievable

Great views

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Good workout with beautiful views at the top.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Steep incline throughout the whole trail, nice view of the ocean once you reach the top. Worth it.

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

I love this trail. Couldn't find it at first. It's technically at the Sycamore springs resort. I Parked far from hotel lobby. There are signs warning of towing vehicles.

The trail is uphill the entire time. But it was such a great workout. My dog did well. Not a lot of traffic. And a great view of the beach and swing when you reach the top.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

This is private property and the signs indicate you can only hike if you're a guest of the property. Your vehicle will be towed if you park and hike at this place

Monday, February 27, 2017

Beautiful but steep trail only downside is the parking.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Great payoff at the top. Mostly wooded along trail with occasional lookouts to the valley. Parking by Sycamore Springs can be difficult.

Monday, January 30, 2017

Came in from the top of sycamore springs and walked or hiked all the wAy to top.. spectacular views .. nice but easy

Monday, January 30, 2017

Bob Jones trail is longer but this had views

Friday, November 25, 2016

Sycamore Springs management has posted dozens of signs in the parking lot promising to tow anyone not a guest of the resort. The manager approached me and my hiking group and said he would have us towed. This is outrageous because the trail is in the Coastal Zone and public access cannot be stopped. Until someone protests it to the Coastal Commission, hikers risk being towed.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Nice short hike with some great views. Looking forward to hiking other trails in the area.

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

it was geting dark and we had to turn back. but the view were nice

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Awesome view of the ocean! It's uphill all the way though. Great for beginners.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

I started my hike on the south side of the trail, beginning at the parking lot of the Avila Sea Caves. Starting from this end, the hike begins with a steeeeeeeeeep incline up towards the peak of the ridge trail where you can see 360° views of five cities and the surrounding mountains. The trail itself is well maintained and is wide enough to bring a four legged friend off leash.

Somethings to be wary of are the elevation changes that might not be suitable for youngins and elders and the small amount of poison oak on the north side of ridge.

Overall, this was a nice hike with nice challenging climbs/descents and well shaded relaxing areas as well. I'd recommend it if you're in the area!

Saturday, August 06, 2016