Sycamore Canyon Preserve

Sycamore Canyon Preserve is a 6.5 mile loop trail located near Santee, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.5 miles Elevation Gain: 994 feet Route Type: Loop

Beautiful views of the canyon. The wildflowers were in full bloom. However, most of trail was service road and not really “hiking”. Overall it was relatively a smooth trail with a few areas of challenging inclines. There is no shade so be prepared. Overall a good workout with the longer distance (my app said 6.9 miles) .

great loop trail, path is easy to follow and lots of flowers qnd scenery. recommend lots of water

Great trail for dogs. Do it in the rain. Lovely. No one around. Parking opens at 8am but we got lucky and someone opened the gate early at 7:30am.

Absolutely beautiful hike with multiple types of elevation changes. I recommend this hike in the early morning hours or on a cool day as there isn’t much for shade along the trail. Bring more water than you think. There’s a rangers station down in the valley next to an old burned out house that was built back in the 1930’s but burnt in the 2003 Cedar Fire. I will definitely be back to explore more of the trails in the area.

Awesome hike because there was almost nobody! Lots of rabbits and birds, and wildflowers from yellow to purple. Overall really nice. Started at noon on Saturday so it got quite warm when the sun was out, would recommend starting earlier during summer because there’s no shade. The views from the ridge trail are simply amazing!

Nice hike, lots of flowers near the trailhead at the end of Garden road. Cardiac hill was a moderate incline for a good heart pumping workout. Only saw about 6 other hikers on a Saturday morning! A good alternative to Iron Mtn.

Great long hike that has a variety of views! When you start there are beautiful flowers, then you move into the areas that were burned in the fire awhile back. There’s a lake you’ll pass by, and eventually a ranger station with the remains of a burnt down house. The are areas that are steep, so it’s a good workout but it’s not overly strenuous as a whole.

This is a wonderful place for a winter hike! Lots of running water - a few places where it overruns the trail but totally manageable. Tons of pretty green, flowers are already beginning to bloom. The mountains were beautiful but not overexhausting. Could definitely see no cover being an issue in the warmer months but loved it for winter.

This trail was nice with a mix of long flat stretches, and sweat worthy climbs to get to the top. I appreciated that it was pretty deserted, we only came across a couple people, so it was easy to enjoy the quiet of nature.

A nice hike. The fine loose gravel made traction difficult at times, but it was not strenuous (I’m not in great shape, either). Gradual climbs and lots of flat trail areas. We were the only people out there except two people on horses.

it was awesome but a little busy and lots of bike riders

Great trail! Had my 20 month old on my back the whole time and it was great! Definitely could see how the heat would be too much in the summer, but I went in December so it wasn't too bad.

Sunday, October 07, 2018

first hike of our season. It's a burner. I'm way out of shape and this trail prove it. It's great in the am hours.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

This place is a hidden gem! I happened to find it because my dog’s groomer lives nearby and I saw the signs. My friend and I went on a 7.9 mile hike. We took Martha’s Grove Trail to Ridge Trail and then went to a trail on the left that went straight uphill (veering away from the military base) to the Hwy 67 Ranger Station and then down Cardiac Hill back to the Goodan Ranch starting point. The hike along the hilltop was awesome. We climbed over 120 flights on this hike so it’s a great workout. The scenery is constantly changing and we saw tons of wildlife. We saw mostly rabbits and large hares (with the biggest ears I had ever seen). We also saw a coyote. There was hardly anyone on the trail which was awesome because you really felt like you were getting away.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

one of my favorite hikes in San Diego County. So nice to be hiking for four and a half to 5 miles and find a beautiful Visitor Center with information about local species and nature and a ranger there to chat with.

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Great hike! Gate opens at 8am. The trail paths are wide making it easy to hike with a large group. The trail loops and towards the end of the hike, it is all incline so be prepared. Also, there is hardly any shade so wear a hat and use lots of sunscreen.

Sunday, April 01, 2018

Great for trail running. A lot of different options here also. Look for "Cardiac Hill." There is 0 shade anywhere so make sure to bring water and wear sunscreen. I'll definitely be going back. I linked up with the trail that overlooks the 67, the ridgeline trail I think? I saw deer in the middle of the day. Very rare in SD.

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Great hike. There is a ranger station to use the restroom and refill water close to the end.

Saturday, February 24, 2018

Great cool morning hike!

Saturday, February 03, 2018

Great area to take your dogs. Go early. No shade. Nice views.

Sunday, January 07, 2018

This place offers some challenging hills but some nice straight always as well. Good hike! Not to be done in the heat. No shade.

Thursday, December 21, 2017

Great hike! Little bit of everything. This hike has some single track, some elevation, some Ridge, and some great views.