Sycamore Canyon Preserve

Sycamore Canyon Preserve is a 6.5 mile loop trail located near Santee, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This place is a hidden gem! I happened to find it because my dog’s groomer lives nearby and I saw the signs. My friend and I went on a 7.9 mile hike. We took Martha’s Grove Trail to Ridge Trail and then went to a trail on the left that went straight uphill (veering away from the military base) to the Hwy 67 Ranger Station and then down Cardiac Hill back to the Goodan Ranch starting point. The hike along the hilltop was awesome. We climbed over 120 flights on this hike so it’s a great workout. The scenery is constantly changing and we saw tons of wildlife. We saw mostly rabbits and large hares (with the biggest ears I had ever seen). We also saw a coyote. There was hardly anyone on the trail which was awesome because you really felt like you were getting away.

one of my favorite hikes in San Diego County. So nice to be hiking for four and a half to 5 miles and find a beautiful Visitor Center with information about local species and nature and a ranger there to chat with.

Great hike! Gate opens at 8am. The trail paths are wide making it easy to hike with a large group. The trail loops and towards the end of the hike, it is all incline so be prepared. Also, there is hardly any shade so wear a hat and use lots of sunscreen.

Great for trail running. A lot of different options here also. Look for "Cardiac Hill." There is 0 shade anywhere so make sure to bring water and wear sunscreen. I'll definitely be going back. I linked up with the trail that overlooks the 67, the ridgeline trail I think? I saw deer in the middle of the day. Very rare in SD.

Great hike. There is a ranger station to use the restroom and refill water close to the end.

Great cool morning hike!

Great area to take your dogs. Go early. No shade. Nice views.

This place offers some challenging hills but some nice straight always as well. Good hike! Not to be done in the heat. No shade.

Great hike! Little bit of everything. This hike has some single track, some elevation, some Ridge, and some great views.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

awesome trails

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Cardiac Hill closed now because of rains. Hike is nice but walk from Visitor Center to parking lot is in open land and no shade so know that. Pretty views from trail that runs up the hill.

Monday, March 06, 2017

Great trail, more challenge than expected. Trekking poles handy.

Sunday, January 22, 2017

great trail lots of natural beauty and wildlife ran across a coyote which is cool to see in their natural environment.

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

This is my first review. This place is awesome. Beautiful easy to follow trails (if you use this map + gps). Almost no people. At the top of the mountain hikes there are 2 different resting areas with a tables and chairs. Pretty high class if you ask me, with port-a-pot-ez, when nature calls you when you have no service on your phone. I thought there was gonna be a Starbucks on the next hill. Hahah. Gorgeous and beautiful views. Definitely will be there again.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Nice casual hike

Sunday, April 10, 2016

This is what a hike should be! Long, challenging but not crazy, and not crowded! I would not want to go here in the summer, but it was perfect for an overcast day in the 60's!

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

A nice hike for the family, one of the most scenic trails in SD

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Awesome little trail. Definitely has some good climbs and some fun downhills.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

********Watch out where you ride here!******* USMC is taking your bike along with fines $500.00 to $5000.00 if you stray on their unmarked boundaries of their base. this area is close to a live firing range. With this area so close a known park you think they would at the very least post the area for the safety of the people they protecting!

Friday, August 28, 2015

Nice hike

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Great area to hike and mountain bike in. I have started this from both the North and South entrances. It's been a few years but I made it to the ranger station and had a drink of water from the spout and I would highly recommend avoiding it.

Thursday, March 13, 2014

This was a nice stroll. My 6 year old girl found it a little challenging but finished it without me having to carry her. We didn't go by the Ranger house. Only saw 4 others hikers and 3 bikers.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

This was a just plain ole fun mountain bike ride. A little challenging at the beginning if your not a very experience mt. biker, but it was a fun technical ride and then it's a great fast cruising ride after that. There wasn't a lot of people, so that was nice too. I definetely recommend it if you don't feel like going far for a mtb jaunt on a saturday or sunday afternoon.

Monday, February 18, 2013

This is a nice area with wide open space & many trail possibilities. Its great for walking, jogging, running, biking...really anything. I would consider it to be relatively easy. It also features a Visitors Center.

Thursday, November 01, 2012

Great loop trail with a nice end (Cardiac Hill). Not a lot of people usually, so great for solitary, peaceful hikes. Unfortunately, the Sunrise Powerlink cut right through here and altered the landscape and the view quite a bit.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

There are two entrances to Sycamore Canyon: just south of Scripps Parkway/67 (closes at 5pm daily) and an entrance in a more residential area of Garden Drive and Poway Road (closes at 7pm daily).

These trails are best for biking. The trails are wide enough for vehicles and very maintained. There isn't a lot of shade along the trails so bring plenty of water. There is a ton of wildlife around you (I spotted endless rabbits and several snakes) so be aware of your surroundings.

Thursday, June 07, 2012

Great 2.7 mile loop from North trailhead which has a seasonal creek to cross. Love the Visitor Center as well.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

very beautiful trail. it's easy to follow the route-signs. there are several possibilities to expand your route.