Sycamore Canyon Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Whittier, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Preserve hours are 9am-5pm (Oct-May) 9am-6pm (June-Sept) No dogs or bikes are allowed at at this trailhead.

Great trail with a pretty "Moderate" level climb towards the end (just before it intersects Rattlesnake Trail). Beautiful views at the top! The rules need to be enforced a little tighter because even though no dogs are allowed, you have to watch your step because there's DOG POOP everywhere! Other than that, very nice!

Hello I am Stephanie .

This was my very first time at this trail location . 1. I love how they said this was an easy trail , ha no way this should at least moderate because those zig-zags hills in the sycamore switchback trail were a wonderful terror ! I enjoyed it I was dripping sweat!
2. In the dark canyon trail I ran into four deer , it was so majestic and and magical that i will never forget this experience . Definetly a trail worth checking out .
P.S You can drive or take the bus to that location from where I live so that was fun

I really enjoyed this hike! I went 2 weeks ago with my cousins and they all really liked it considering it was their first time hiking. The first half is mostly surrounded by trees and there are a few steep areas but nothing too bad. Once you cross the little creek there is no shade because the rest of the hike goes uphill in a zig zag. It's tiring but it's a great workout!

Great Hike!

Great Little Hike with hillside walls. Plenty of Cactus plants, Trees, wild flower and a stream along the whole way. There is shade here and there.Open 9am-5 or 6 Pm. Good for kids

good walk with the kids

Get beginners route!

Good hike for beginners and kiddos!

nice but yes too much dog poop all over the trail

I've been coming here for the past two years but I've lived in this area for over 20 years. I wish I'd known about this fantastic trail filled with all forms of nature and beautiful terrain. Great hiking when feeling not so much like mountain hiking. There is tons of poison oak so stay on the trail. I usually feel safe coming here by myself taking photography shots. Just always be aware of your surroundings, that's all I have to say about safety.
Love this place! :)

I love that it’s kid friendly.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

This was my second trip here. I came with my 3 boys yesterday (ages 15, 11 & 6) They loved it! It's not hard, however we did not go up the mountain on Sycamore and continued on Dark Canyon instead. It's a nice workout still but will have to make that trip up the mountain myself soon. For the last 3 weeks, I had been walking inside Rose Hills cemetery and even though I love it there, Sycamore is my new favorite. Except for the poop here and there, it's great! It's very peaceful here!

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

We drove around for 10 minutes and still couldn't find the entrance. Never going to this cemetery again.

Monday, July 10, 2017

If you're out of shape and there's really hot weather, bring a lot of water! First time I hiked this last winter it was a breeze up and down. Hiked this again yesterday afternoon with the addition of taking on Skyline Drive and checking out the Sycamore water tower as well as the Turnbull water tower--I felt like I had just hiked Mt. Baldy again. But it was definitely worth it! Be prepared and stay hydrated, folks!

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Great hike. A bit smelly at the start, but it does go away. The switchbacks totally kicked my butt but loved it when I got to the top. You can then go right, which is to the nearest water tower which is a nice view of the city.

I head left onto Rattlesnake Ridge Trail, if you want to extend your hike, heading to the Turnbull Water Tower. There are other trails that will combine into Rattlesnake. Once near the water tower you can either head up the steep hill or take a left for a much flatter path to the water tower. Here you well get a beautiful view of a Temple. Once a the water tower, give your self a break and enjoy the beautiful view.
I always that the flatter path back, to the right.

Total hike from Sycamore to the Water Tower and back about 7 miles.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

love the steps and the loop right after

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Sycamore canyon trailhead up the switchback; make a right onto Skyline drive to go toward the water tower and a view of the city. The trail continues past the tower mainly downhill into residential area. No shades.

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Its was easy but it still was fun... saw lizards, snakes

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Snakes

Thursday, April 06, 2017

Great atmosphere!!

Friday, March 17, 2017

I love this trail, nestled in the Whittier hills. Beautiful in the spring, cool creek running throughout. Last Thursday we saw mule deer, squirrels, frogs, coyote pups and lizards aplenty. The hill at the end is a serious workout.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Secluded and peaceful

Saturday, March 11, 2017

At this moment in season this trail is wildly vivid with snakes, you must be very vigilant of your surroundings..

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Fablous

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Up loaded a picture of the switchbacks.. One if my Favorite Trails

Saturday, December 03, 2016

Amazing rows of cacti leading you to amazing trees. Absolutely beautiful and easy to moderate as you choose.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

nice walk

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Good beginner trail for the kiddos

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

great trail. go to the right at the end for an amazing uphill finish. first half is easy, good warm up.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Easy trail with a few mild hills. Not too strenuous. Good for beginners and kids. Beware of coyote scat all over the trail, though. If you are quiet and careful enough you may even see a few deer like I did today!