Sycamore Canyon Trail [CLOSED]

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(295)
Rose Hills Memorial Park

Sycamore Canyon Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Whittier, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 311 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

Note: This trail is currently closed due to COVID-19. Preserve hours are 9am-5pm (Oct-May) 9am-6pm (June-Sept) No dogs or bikes are allowed at at this trailhead. Parking is free! It is recommended to get there at 9 when it opens if you want to park in the lot, street parking is allowed too. The parking lot is called Sycamore Canton Trailhead. Follow the sign for Sycamore Canyon Trail, you’ll get to a split that’ll say Sycamore Canyon or Dark Canyon. The Sycamore trail will take you through narrow switchbacks, once you reach the open path, if you go right you’ll end up at the tower, if you go left you’ll just be hiking for a bit (you should see the temple). It’s an out & back trail so you have to go back the way you came in order to get back to the parking lot.

loved this trail I viewed nopales, deer, locust , lizards, beautiful trees and plants i went alone and felt safe also this trail was not highly trafficked when i was there ! definitely recommend for a local hike

Closed. Locked gate and everything.

First time on this trail, and it was great. 60 degree weather with rain/sprinkles but lots of tree cover so it blocked most of it. Pretty easy trail with nice forest scenery. Would recommend for an easy hike or run

Just because it’s a little muddy and overgrown doesn’t take away from a 5 star hike tucked away from everything. Heavy foot traffic due to the shut down but people are practicing social distancing and still very friendly! Currently there is water in the creek from the trail!

So I came back to finally complete the hike and I loved it, as well as my bf who isn’t an avid hiker. Very easy and laid-back hike with shade once you get 0.75 miles into the hike. While hiking you could hear the frogs and birds in the background it honestly sounded so relaxing and soothing! Not too many people on this hike (Friday morning). Free parking, limited stalls but parking on the main street.

very nice trail, not toolong great for kids NO DOGS $500 fine

Great hike! Just smells a bit

I came with my dog, which I should’ve read the reviews at first ( which i normally do, lol). When I got there, small parking area, read the “no dogs allowed” about 0.3 miles into the hike so I came back down and decided to take a jog around the cemetery into spy glass area (surrounding neighborhood)... my car was still parked in the designated area. From what I experienced there was some shade, no one really there, a little sketchy if you go by yourself. The female park ranger with reddish/blonde hair came out yapping her jaws and flagging me down and kept telling me, “no dogs allowed, read the sign at the entrance”. I went back to the entrance to see the “sign” she mentioned, and it was in FINE PRINT. How is someone supposed to read that, i don’t have hawk eye vision....if she would’ve let me explain what happened like a polite and courteous human I wouldn’t have walked away from her. Point being she was rude, didn’t allow me to express my side, and had a nasty attitude. Other than that, the 0.3 mile hike was ehhhhh, will probably come back without my dog to finish it, lol

Very easy hike. It’s perfect for a run!

Idk if it’s cuz’ it’s the end of the year there were barely anyone. We saw 2 joggers and a man with his son. That was it. We saw several hares

my first time there and alone it was a nice trail but since I was alone and passed the creek I got majorly creeped out lol so I u turned it and ran back to open space... not sure how far more there was more to go but I'll bring a friend next time.

My car was broken into on Sunday 10/13/19 at approximately 11:15 AM along with another vehicle. It was me and my husband's first time and we really enjoyed our hike. We're very disappointed that we will never return.

For the inexperienced hiker like myself I’d say easy to moderate especially if you add in some of the trails to it.

great relaxing trail, quiet and open. very few people when is hot, never been when is cool. minimal shade and climbs, great for any anyone.

Easy trail but just as easy to get lost. Not many people on the trails. Nice view and you can hear and see small streams of water throughout your hike

Loveee this trail! Seen a beautiful deer! Very clean

This is a beautiful trail. Very clean and well-maintained. Tons of gorgeous trees. The stairs are a challenge for beginner hikers but a great workout.

Nice stroll. A lot of bugs. Be very careful of poison oak!!! There was a lot! We tried the dark canyon trail and that trail is closed off after less than a mile in. A lot of overgrown poison oak on that trail, so I wouldn't bother. Went back and finished the sycamore switchback. Pretty City view.

recorded Recording - May 27, 11:38 AM

Mon May 27 2019

great trail, especially for a beginner hiker (like me!). It's very scenic and it's great seeing everything so green! Wasn't too difficult, there are a few steep sections, but overall a generally comfortable hike to do. Make sure you put some sunblock on since you will be in the sun for most of the hike.

Fri Apr 19 2019

Fri Apr 05 2019

I did this trail today with my group and it was such an awesome day to go hiking! It wasn’t too hot and the air was nice and cool. There is no shade so I recommend putting sunscreen if you burn, and bring lots of water! No dogs allowed (you’ll see poop, but it’s from the coyotes). Parking is free! I recommend getting there at 9 when it opens if you want to park in the lot, street parking is allowed too. The parking lot is called Sycamore Canton Trailhead. Follow the sign for Sycamore Canyon Trail, you’ll get to a split that’ll say Sycamore Canyon or Dark Canyon. The Sycamore trail will take you through narrow switchbacks, once you reach the open path, if you go right you’ll end up at the tower, if you go left you’ll just be hiking for a bit (you should see the temple). It’s an out & back trail so you have to go back the way you came in order to get back to the parking lot.

Mon Apr 01 2019

Dope trail this time of year. Lots of lush greenery - bugs are minimal. Starts with a 30-40 minute relatively flat trail and then it splits and I usually go up this half mile steep trail that leads to the watertower, about 15-20 minute hike up.

Wed Mar 13 2019

I hiked this trail a few days ago, March 8, 2019, and I’m so happy I did! If you look at the first image, that’s what it looks like right now. I didn’t expect much from it, but the view was lovely, green, and alive. It was a quick little hike! I’m looking forward to doing this as a trail run. In fact I did see a a guy running barefoot!

Sat Feb 23 2019

Have never seen one dog on this trail. I do know there are many coyotes in this area. That's probably Where the poop came from. The Beginning of the trail does have an area that smells where there is a couple of oil rigs. After that it's a nice warm up walk before you can cross a small run off stream and start heading up a nice switchback that will get your heart pumping! Once you reach the top You will be near the Whittier water tank with views of the city. You can also extend your hike to the old water tank with nice big trails. Restrooms and parking. You can also park on the street.

Wed Dec 05 2018

My favorite trail in the Whittier area by far! You start off at Sycamore trailhead & can either ramp it up & hang a right up the switchback or continue into magical Dark Canyon. FYI, for those saying there’s dog poop everywhere, it’s actually coyote scat for the most part because this area is busy with wildlife activity. This year alone we’ve encountered 3 rattle snakes, 1 gofer snake, numerous deer/rabbits/squirrels.