Switzer Falls via Gabrielino Trail

Switzer Falls via Gabrielino Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Wilson, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a relatively easy hike into one of the loveliest sections of the San Gabriel mountains. The hike meanders back and across the stream running down the spectacular Arroyo Seco Canyon. The stream is lined with oaks and alder, with the water cascading over granite into mirror-like pools. The hike travels high above the 50 foot high Switzer falls, then drops back to the stream, where hikers can double back to stand at the base of the falls. After seeing the falls, travel down stream to the intersection with Bear Canyon, and travel up this spectacularly wild, steep walled canyon for another half mile or so to enjoy its wonders. More adventuresome hikes can continue up Bear Canyon for 2 miles to Bear Camp.

Just enough water for kids 3 and 1 year old to enjoy. perfect weather.

This hike was moderate, with few inclines. Parking was up on Highway 2 since the campground was closed. A fellow hiker notified us that the parking is only open during weekends, which I could imagine would fill up pretty quickly. There was about 2-3 other small parking lots. Restrooms were horrific. I definitely would try to use the bathroom before venturing up Hwy 2. My partner and I did this with our 2 year old. There are some pretty steep narrow areas on the trail but overall a beautiful moderate hike. We encountered a baby bird falling out of its nest...It sounded like something was trying attack it but we couldn't figure out what exactly. It was the most random weirdest thing. We left it alone hoping Mama bird would come back to get it and when we were on our way back we didn't see it. Hopefully it returned to its nest. First waterfall we seen, which I guess was Switzer Falls was indeed beautiful but I was slightly disappointed at the sight of some females dirty pad and empty beer bottles everywhere. Pack in pack out people!

Got there a little later than I usually like to start a hike...maybe about 9 am and it was pretty hot. We had to park in the lot by Hwy 2 since the little road (Switzer Truck Trail) that leads down to the lower parking lots and the campground were closed. I thought that was strange and only found out the next day from a friend that it has been closed due to bear sightings. We weren't the only ones I think unaware since there were probably about 40-50 other people that we came across on the trail. It is a beautiful trail and shaded for the most part. The waterfall was a bit on the unimpressive side. It was a total of 4.6 miles RT for us. The only hard parts due to incline and no shade was the first .5 miles after leaving the waterfall and the last half mile from the campground area up the Switzer Truck trail to the 2 Hwy parking lot.

We went to hike yesterday but the area was closed indefinitely for active bear sightings. We decided to tempt fate and go past the barricades. We went about a mile on the trail before turning around ( we decided we had tempted fate enough) . What we did see was beautiful and the trail was very defined. Wish we had made it to the falls.

Not much to the falls, but the area is pretty.